Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 10:17   #7141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched "Skyscraper" yesterday. I usually like these kind of movies but this was a miss in my book :(

Some excellent shots notwithstanding the movie could have been a whole lot better...
Old 15th October 2018, 11:14   #7142
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit surprised that some members find Dunkirk as a "boring" movie. Yes it is not a typical war movie, but when does Christopher Nolan make typical movies. The most interesting aspect of Dunkirk was the enemy did not have a face throughout the movie. You only hear gunshots, planes and other non-living or intangible factors. The movie was also elevated by few notches by the ever-realiable Hans Zimmer. What a brilliant background score ! Nolan-Zimmer combo is one of the finest in Hollywood IMO.

All in all, Dunkirk is not going to win any accolades for acting. But, for sure, technically, it is one of the finest movies.

Of course, I respect everyone's perception. Whether a movie is good or bad, is more or less subjective, with some exceptional movies like THE DARK KNIGHT or INCEPTION.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:51   #7143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am a bit surprised that some members find Dunkirk as a "boring" movie.
I agree. It's unlike any typical commercial movie. You need to immerse yourself in the experience. The Background score is goosebump inducing and the camera work makes you feel the tense environment as if you are yourself present there- in the middle of an ongoing war. I would say a brilliant movie. It's more titillating than entertaining though.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:54   #7144
Team-BHP Support

Dunkirk needs to be watched in an IMAX theatre to get really immersed in the action!
Old 15th October 2018, 12:46   #7145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Ditto

Thanks for that.

Do watch Operation Finale - its true life story of capture & trial of Adolf Eichmann.

Would suggest you read this if interested - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nting-eichmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
WOW! Thank you for that; will await options for this movie. I'm more interested in the book now; very expensive options on Amazon and Flipkart; will have to start scouring the used book outlets
Specifically for Nazi hunts - do search for "Nazi Hunters" on YouTube. Look for a channel called "Milentije Kindlovski" in the search results. It has 13 full length episodes which details out the events that led to capture of some of the most notorious men like Eichmann, Himmler, Angle of Death etc.

This channel also has a lot of other documentaries related to WW2.
Old 15th October 2018, 13:26   #7146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Dunkirk needs to be watched in an IMAX theatre to get really immersed in the action!

Agree with you 100%
The background scores by Hans Zimmer will be done justice only by a good stereo system.

It's going to be a pretty average film if one watches it on the laptop with laptop speakers.
Old 15th October 2018, 13:28   #7147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Specifically for Nazi hunts - do search for "Nazi Hunters" on YouTube.

This channel also has a lot of other documentaries related to WW2.
Thank you. Most of the spare time I keep going through documentaries on specific fights during the WW2. Never thought about Nazi hunts, will be spending more time on it.

On a side note, maybe these posts should be moved to a separate thread on WW2 (movies, documentaries, etc)
Old 15th October 2018, 13:46   #7148
Distinguished - BHPian

I was very mild in my criticism of Dunkirk It is a technical show off without any trace of drama or character development. Maybe Nolan wanted to make a show of his film making techniques without CGI and other new school stuff he hates. I am a huge Nolan fan btw and maybe he wanted to show an impersonal raw war experience but such stuff doesn't interest me, it's strictly documentary realm for me. One man's treasure is another man's trash. So I have no problem with the high praise it gets.
Old 15th October 2018, 15:21   #7149

The Japs surely know how to make a good horror movie. I guess one of the best Found Video Footage Horror movie. Noroi - The Curse. It can be found on youtube. Do watch it and let me know your thoughts about it.
Old 15th October 2018, 15:32   #7150
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised people are surprised when others have different opinions

A movie should be worth a watch irrespective of whether it's on a theatre or a TV or laptop etc
Old 16th October 2018, 10:49   #7151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thank you. Most of the spare time I keep going through documentaries on specific fights during the WW2. Never thought about Nazi hunts, will be spending more time on it.

On a side note, maybe these posts should be moved to a separate thread on WW2 (movies, documentaries, etc)
Netflix has a decent collection of WW2 documentaries. One of the special series is titled 'World War II in Colour'.
Definitely a must-watch for WW2 aficionados (like me).

www.netflix.com/title/70254851

To provide an overview, this is a 13-part series providing great details and some unseen footage right from the initial days of the 1930s when the Great Depression had set in, till the point when US President Truman decides to drop atomic bombs forcing an end to the great war.

Rated 4.5/5.
Old 16th October 2018, 10:57   #7152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Do watch Operation Finale - its true life story of capture & trial of Adolf Eichmann.

Would suggest you read this if interested - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nting-eichmann
Thanks, indeed a superb rendition by Ben Kingsley in "Operation Finale".

This guy can play any role beautifully, whether it is leading a mass of people to achieve greatness (in "Gandhi") or leading a mass of another people to their genocide (here in "Operation Finale" or another movie titled "Eichmann").

Rated "Operation Finale" 5/5.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:58   #7153
Senior - BHPian

Hotel Artemis:
Good to while away the time but you forget it quickly afterwards
2/5

Wimbledon:
Good rom-com 3/5 if you like that type of movies
Old 17th October 2018, 12:07   #7154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Netflix has a decent collection of WW2 documentaries. One of the special series is titled 'World War II in Colour'.
Definitely a must-watch for WW2 aficionados (like me).

www.netflix.com/title/70254851
+100 to this!

The footage is amazing (although they freely re-use some of the grainy images and videos repeatedly across different war description across the episodes). The narration and the flow of the episodes is very well done; getting into the nuances of certain decision (like why USA went for the n-bomb when they literally had taken care of most of Japan's military capabilities by then) without making it feel like a documentary.

P.s. This keeps coming on and off the available shows on Netflix India. In case you don't see it now available; give it a week or two; and check again.
Old 17th October 2018, 12:22   #7155
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Get Out' last night - themes of new age blaxploitation psycho horror with dark satires and some nice acting makes it a good watch.
Something on similar theme is the film 'The Skeleton Key', which I had watched quite a few years back.

Last edited by blackasta : 17th October 2018 at 12:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks