Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 11:22   #7126
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Kung Fu Yoga on television. What a lame film!

From the deserts of India and Dubai to the icy mountains of Himalayas, from the rubbery flexibility of Jackie Chan to the lissome beauty of Disha Patani, everything is over the top and wasted. Historical incorrectness aside, this attempt at bringing together China and India on screen in a Holly-Bolly (wood) mixture is actually an eyesore. The proverbial nail on the coffin is the song at the end.

If you haven't watched it yet, please don't. Alternatively, please watch it if you have lots of time and want to waste it .

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th October 2018 at 17:57. Reason: edited
Old 8th October 2018, 11:29   #7127
Distinguished - BHPian

I watched a few good movies airing on the television over the weekend.

1. Tulip Fever - The movie revolves around the Tulip mania which happened in Dutch Republic but actually depicts the story of the the characters. Loved the way the story unfolded, right till the end.
Rating: 4/5

2. Eddie the Eagle: Simple story about a British guy who wanted to achieve something in Ski jumping.
Rating: 3.5/5
Old 8th October 2018, 11:55   #7128
BHPian

Anyone has watched Venom? How do you rate it ?
Old 8th October 2018, 16:35   #7129
Senior - BHPian

Another week, another long delayed train ride and movies watched:

1) A lonely place to die: Lovely visuals and fast paced. 3/5

2) The descendants: Well acted but don't know what it was trying to say. 3/5

3) The losers: Typical leave brain at home action film but with a strong cast. has it's moments. 2.5/5
Old 8th October 2018, 16:47   #7130
Senior - BHPian

Batoru Rowaiaru (aka Battle Royale) - Was on cards for a long time. Amazing dystopian movie. Movie is highly violent and disturbing, don't watch if you don't have the heart for it.
Old 8th October 2018, 17:12   #7131
BHPian

Annihilation (2.5/5)

A good concept, some stunning visuals. Could have been a gripping Sci-fi flick (like Arrival). Characters' bond never built up to feel any sense of engagement with any of the cast. Kept me engaged to know how it would end (how the mystery unfolds), only to be disappointed in the end. Still, a good one time watch.

A man from Earth (4/5)

Long pending, finally get to watch this amazingly complex yet simple movie. An extended discussion (quite in-depth for a movie) ranging from history, anthropology, religion, psychology and life at large; intellectually binding and cleverly written. A must watch.

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 8th October 2018 at 17:16.
Old 8th October 2018, 20:55   #7132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Anyone has watched Venom? How do you rate it ?
I watched it twice already and I can definitely say its an average movie. I am a fan of both Tom and Venom; and though the movie had stunning effects with some hilarious scenes, Tom was wasted through-out the movie.

If You have followed Venom through comics, the build-up in the movie is slightly different.
Old 10th October 2018, 21:38   #7133
Distinguished - BHPian

Before clicking on the video, one should stare really hard at the thumbnail for who's playing Vice (Prez) Dick Cheney.. should take about 4-5 odd seconds before the realization hits like it did with me and then I went "ohhhh sh****t.. the human chameleon is back."

This movie has me pumped.. the first one to do so since a long long time. The actor playing the central role should sweep the Oscars in the applicable categories this time.. and well deserved so.

LOL, this man and Sean Penn are actors that are so ridiculously overskilled that legends become insects in front of them.
Old 11th October 2018, 11:55   #7134
Senior - BHPian

Watched JFK yesterday.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102138/

Kevin Costner was in fine form and so were the excellent supporting cast. But at 3.10hrs the movie started to drag its feet and by the time it reached the climatic court room scene i was like enough already!

3/5
Old 14th October 2018, 07:39   #7135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I like watching movies on topics that I have no clue about. One example is Whiplash, an exceptional movie on a drummer (jazz) who is pushed to the limits & beyond by his tough instructor.

Saw Black Swan over the weekend. Will give it 4 out of 5 stars. A flick on ballerinas. For the first half, I thought like Whiplash, it's about competitiveness, excellence, pushing one's boundaries etc. The second half however, it turns into a psychological thriller. Mostly brilliant, with a few parts stupid. A solid watch nevertheless. Natalie Portman puts in an extraordinary performance.

Old 14th October 2018, 07:46   #7136
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a review, but putting this on the block for next week; I'll be back with a review soon on this - the trailer and the original story sounds nothing short of incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Plus I am always a sucker for WW2 themes.
Just a headsup
Old 14th October 2018, 11:37   #7137
Distinguished - BHPian

Scoured Amazon prime to find some movies worth watching and wanted to share my recent list:

Adams Family Values
Had very low expectations and I am generally skeptical of comedy genre as they mostly disappoint me. But this movie turned out to be pretty funny and is a definite watch. The girl (Wednesday Adams) is brilliant. I then watched the first in the series Adams Family which was a disappointment.

The man from earth
Anything I say would be a spoiler. Is is an absolute must watch if you like contemplative stuff, but watch it without any research on the movie.

Red Eye
Time pass thriller, great performance from lead actors. Works great for a casual movie watch.

East Side Sushi
Off beat cross cultural feel good senti (but not too much) movie. Great for a casual watch and a good break from typical Hollywood movies.

Dunkirk
Had insane expectations. Turned out to be a boring war genre documentary. See Saving Private Ryan for the real deal. Strictly personal opinion.

Shooter
I am not big on action movies but I like Mark Wahlberg and this movie was very enjoyable.

Divergent
From hunger games genre but I liked this one better. Hunger games has too much "reality tv competition" feel to it where as this one feels more like a movie and I also like this plot premise better.

Jumper
Sci-Fi (not much of it except for the use of teleporting as a plot tool) and action. Not too bad for a casual watch.

Guarding Tess
Slow and boring but can work for a casual watch. Too few laughs to call it a good comedy.

The man who knew too little
I like Bill Murray movies and this movie is the funniest parody of Bond movies.
Old 14th October 2018, 19:42   #7138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The man from earth
Anything I say would be a spoiler. Is is an absolute must watch if you like contemplative stuff, but watch it without any research on the movie.

Thanks for the reco. Watched today and must say it's quite deep!
Apparently there's a sequel (which plays at the ending credits), doubt if it's half as good as this.
Old 14th October 2018, 20:41   #7139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Plus I am always a sucker for WW2 themes.
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The_Captain_(2017_film)
Thanks for that.

Do watch Operation Finale - its true life story of capture & trial of Adolf Eichmann.

Would suggest you read this if interested - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nting-eichmann

Last edited by procrj : 14th October 2018 at 20:45.
Old 15th October 2018, 05:15   #7140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Ditto
Do watch Operation Finale - its true life story of capture & trial of Adolf Eichmann.

Would suggest you read this if interested - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nting-eichmann
WOW! Thank you for that; will await options for this movie. I'm more interested in the book now; very expensive options on Amazon and Flipkart; will have to start scouring the used book outlets

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks