Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 10:02   #7261
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Watch it a second time, and you realise that the director has been throwing hints at you all along as to the ending of the movie. Were you “watching closely?” 😜
Yes, but I did not mention that as I wanted to keep some suspense for other BHPians!
Old 14th March 2019, 10:47   #7262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
Yes, but I did not mention that as I wanted to keep some suspense for other BHPians!
Considering it's been 13 years since it was released and there's been innumerable shows on HBO, Star Movies and the lot over the past decade, I'd take a fair guess and say the average joe has already watched this movie and any suspense with the movie has been well cleared with the lot.
Old 14th March 2019, 17:44   #7263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Watch it a second time, and you realise that the director has been throwing hints at you all along as to the ending of the movie. Were you “watching closely?” 😜
Same with Fight Club. If we watch it without blinking our eyes we would see a flash of Tyler in many scenes before his character actually appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Want to chill with a good movie based on a real story?

All the money in the world = 4/5 stars. I saw it on "Google Play" movies, checked the IMDB + Rotten Tomatoes ratings and ordered it right away. Nice one about the kidnapping of the grandson of an eccentric oil magnate.
Thanks! Will try to watch it over the weekend.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th March 2019 at 12:01. Reason: Please do not post back to back posts within 30 minutes on the same thread. Please edit the previous one. Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 20:36   #7264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Triple Frontier (Netflix) : 3 / 5

A good action packed movie with a very basic storyline; the trailer itself gives away the entire story. What is worth watching is the gorgeous locations across the Andes throughout the entire movie.
I would give 2.5 or even 2/5 to this one.

Given the star cast of Ben Affleck et al, I was piqued by the trailer but felt let down by the poor and predictable plot.
Old 15th March 2019, 09:55   #7265
Senior - BHPian

Watched two movies on a train ride home yesterday.

The Vow: Heart tugging movie acted nicely by Rachel and Channing. Good movie to watch with your loved one.

Slaughterhouse rulez: A typical british stoner horror/comedy movie. but nothing great. watch only if you have time to spare and nothing much else to do
Old 15th March 2019, 10:54   #7266
Distinguished - BHPian

Captain Marvel

3/5

Tries to introduce the character in a similar vein as the new dark batman in batman begins. So its interesting, but only as a intro to what may be coming next.
I feel the problem is that this is not a known character to the general marvel watchers.
And honestly, to be the last hope against Thanos, so much so that she was the last thought on Fury's mind at the end of Infinity, they just have not shown much of her capabilities, except for bits at the end.
The redeemer was her appearance in the post credits.
Old 15th March 2019, 11:16   #7267
Distinguished - BHPian

Leaving Neverland: Can't be rated

Some movies are too tough to watch; especially those that bring down the aura that surrounds global stars. The #MeToo moment did that (and is still doing) for a few stars; even though it might be only temporarily for their careers.

And then there are those stories that have been hushed and spoken in whispers all these years; till they are laid bare. Michael Jackson and child sexual abuse allegations are something that has been made public for over two and a half decades. There have been several allegations, a few court cases and several out of the court settlements. But till date, all of this has had minimal impact on the aura of the star; his music has been and still holds strong across all races, young and old.

But that's changing with the recently released documentary, now being aired by HBO, of the story of two young adults in their 30s, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, who detail out their childhood and the allegations in detail through this documentary. Millions have watched it in less than a week since it's release. The Jackson estate has sued HBO for millions of dollars; but they have gone ahead with it.

Note: It is a hard-hitting, straight-in-your-face documentary. There is no cover; there are no smoke screens. The emotions are visible on the face of the multiple protagonists; whatever "proofs" they have, it is shown across the 4 hours, 2 episode documentary in detail.

It is tough to watch it. Please understand, there is nothing graphic; just a narration of things as they (allegedly) happened. But it is tough to watch. But it is necessary; whether one believes the allegations or not.

To be honest; I have been able to see only the first episode, I simply can not find the nerve to go through the second part. And unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to listen to any of MJ's songs ever.

@Mods, I hope you let this post be. Some things have to be spoken about. Hope you understand.
Old 17th March 2019, 22:01   #7268
Senior - BHPian

Captain Marvel 3.5/5

I am a huge fan of both Marvel and DC movies. So 3.5/5 rating is probably my lowest rating for superhero movies. But don't get me wrong. It's still a great movie. Just that it cannot catch up outright entertainment value of other Marvel movies.

Marvel fans are introduced to THE most powerful Avenger yet, with a bit confusing and slightly slower storyline. First half is slower, but movie catches pace in the 2nd.

Brie Larson is "cool" as Captain Marvel. Stylish, agile, and a decent actor. I feel she is a tad short for the character. However, I am not aware of Captain Marvel's description from the comic. We also get introduced (reintroduced) to Nick Fury and how the Avengers project began. And most importantly, how the hell Nick Fury got that eye patch In the first place.

Cat steals some of the scenes. But is it even a cat? Read on Google to find out.

Obviously, as is the ritual, better wait until the end credits end, I mean till the very end. If you've watched Avengers-Infinity War, then you can connect few dots easily. Also, the very last clue is big.

Without starting any Marvel Vs DC fight, I think Wonder Woman solo movie had more soul than Captain Marvel. But, we anyways watch every damn superhero or superheroine movie, so no reservations there.

Watch it in IMAX please.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:43   #7269
Senior - BHPian

Captain Marvel: Went with low expectations and only as a precursor necessity to watching Endgame.

But surprisingly had a nice time.

Character was as expected OP and while not a fan of the actress, thought she filled the role well.

My 10yr old daughter had a fun time as well and claimed it was the best movie she has seen in some time That is some praise.

3.5/5 from me.

The only negative was i felt that the music was forced in many places. Trying to force you to relive the 90s unlike in GOTG where the soundtrack was nicely interwoven.

That said, Come as you are by Nirvana was a nice fit
Old 18th March 2019, 10:17   #7270
Distinguished - BHPian

How to Train your Dragon : Hidden World : 2.5 / 5

For an animation franchise that brought out brilliant movies even when compared to the rest of the Pixar and Disney lot, HTTYD 3 is a big miss in terms of how great the first two movies were. The third segment is clearly an attempt to end the franchise (IMO); but the plot/storyline goes too haywire just to ensure the conclusion of the movie fits the bill.

Still worth a watch I guess, if you are a fan of the first two movies. Otherwise, just wait for Netflix and Amazon Prime to pick it up in a few months.
Old 18th March 2019, 12:05   #7271
BHPian

Christopher Nolan Thread

No movie-buff worth his/her pinch of salt can miss a Christopher Nolan movie. On commenting about about one of Nolan's movie, a bhpian has suggested opening a thread for this legendary writer-director.

I still remember sometime in 2008-09, I watched "The Prestige" and with my limited Language skills I could see a Marvel unfolding in front of my eyes but could not quite get the grip of it. Mind it this movie just popped up from one of my friends collection with hundreds of movies. It was not recommended by anyone and I did not have an inkling that this movie was directed by the director of the "The Dark Knight", which was a blockbuster at that time.

I just got hooked on to "The Prestige", watched it layer by layer, minute by minute to just enjoy the numerous,deep philosophical and psychological angles created by the director. I then came to terms with the fact that "The Memento" was the original of the Gajini twins.

Since then I have been searching about Nolan and had watched all the movies except "Memento". His movies are worth watching multiple times just to unravel the layers. He is like a master chef who cooks his food with so much love.

Rather than me writing a long prose commentary. I would like the more knowledgeable Bhpians to pore in their love for Nolan's movies in this thread.
Old 18th March 2019, 13:07   #7272
BHPian

The Handmaiden(2016): 5/5

Saw this Korean movie with English subtitles a couple of days back and still couldn't stop thinking about it. What a fantastic movie!

I'll advice to watch the extended version as I read somewhere that it has some marvelous shots which are missing in the trimmed version.
Strictly a 18+ movie.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 18th March 2019 at 13:13.
Old 18th March 2019, 23:30   #7273
BHPian

Another period film, with gripping story, set in China.

I liked this more than the hand maiden

.....Anupam Kher has played a small role in this movie.
And oh I forgot, this is an Adults-only movie

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2019 at 07:28. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 20th March 2019, 14:12   #7274
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As a wise man once said (link ), the best movies are on TV...not Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Saw Battle of the Sexes on Star Movies Select HD. Fantastic watch = 4 / 5 stars easily.

It's based on a feminist tennis champion who ends up in a duel vs an older ex-champion. Male vs female true story, basically. Emma Stone is simply brilliant! Watch the movie for her & her alone.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2019 at 14:09. Reason: Adding channel name
Old 20th March 2019, 14:44   #7275
Senior - BHPian

Green Book - Biographical drama of Don Shirley and Tony Lip's tour down south. Brings forth the real tales of apartheid, & relationships. 4/5 from me. One needs to know a few things about segregation in USA for making sense of a few scenes.

BlacKkKlansman - Dramatization of a true story on how a black police officer infiltrated a chapter of KKK and bought about it's demise. Do watch for the strong message at the ending. 3/5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks