Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 10:28   #7366
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Hi,

I saw a movie called 'Searching' on Amazon Prime and I would definitely recommend everyone to watch this. It is a very engaging thriller movie and the plot is developed in a contemporary way.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:31   #7367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

I saw a movie called 'Searching' on Amazon Prime and I would definitely recommend everyone to watch this. It is a very engaging thriller movie and the plot is developed in a contemporary way.
I am agrees.
The plot is more or less standard, but the way it has been done/shot is just brilliant!
Old 26th July 2019, 12:51   #7368
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With so many streaming options (Netflix, Hotstar, Prime etc.), it's become a royal pain to look for good content. Just thought I'd share this useful website here - https://www.justwatch.com - which lets you sort the offerings by IMDB & Rotten Tomato ratings.

As an example, here's all the movies on Hotstar with an IMDB rating of 7+ and Rotten Tomatoes of 60+ % - link.

If you have any such websites, please share.
Old 28th July 2019, 22:51   #7369
BHPian

I do not know if there is a foreign language movie thread here, so posting here instead.

I spent this weekend catching up on the works of Spanish director Oriol Paulo and it was a richly rewarding experience. The guy makes thrillers that makes you feel your brain has been thru a tumble dryer and then in a blender.

Watched these 3 in original spanish version with english subtitles. There may be english dubbed versions also, but i didn't bother searching since i prefer the original language - spanish is such a lovely language to hear!

Contratiempo (The Invisible Guest - 2017)
El cuerpo (The Body - 2012)
Durante la tormenta (Mirage - 2018)

Very highly recommended if you like having a stupid smile after the movie has ended wondering what the hell just happened!

Last edited by WindRide : 28th July 2019 at 22:54.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 23:41   #7370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Very highly recommended if you like having a stupid smile after the movie has ended wondering what the hell just happened!
I like twisties but not movies that have questionable conclusions. But not sure - are you recommending these or not ?

PS: I am badly scarred from watching Mulholland Drive so need to take extra precautions.
Old 28th July 2019, 23:46   #7371
Distinguished - BHPian

We just saw Yesterday. Really enjoyed. Very enjoyable movie, some very funny bits and of course, lots of Beatles music.

Also, a lot of it was filmed in Suffolk. We love Suffolk and owned a house there for almost twenty years. Some some very familiar places, including the pub at the end of pin mill.

Jeroen
Old 29th July 2019, 10:07   #7372
Senior - BHPian

Please watch the Argentinian movie Relatos Salvajes by Damien Szifron. 6 Stories - 6 masterpieces! They perfectly combine 'thriller, drama and humour'

Quote:
spanish is such a lovely language to hear!
Old 29th July 2019, 10:50   #7373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I like twisties but not movies that have questionable conclusions. But not sure - are you recommending these or not ?

PS: I am badly scarred from watching Mulholland Drive so need to take extra precautions.
All 3 i mentioned have very definitive meaningful ends. Just that you are told of it at the very last moment possible. 'Mirage' actually makes you, if you are so inclined, to analyse various timelines/threads to piece together the final 'gotcha' moment. I definitely highly recommend all 3 with my personal preference being in this order -

The Body > Mirage > Invisible Guest.

Btw, Mulholland Drive happens to top the list of BBC's top 100 must watch movies
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...greatest-films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Please watch the Argentinian movie Relatos Salvajes by Damien Szifron. 6 Stories - 6 masterpieces! They perfectly combine 'thriller, drama and humour'
Thanks! adding this to my watch list.
Old 29th July 2019, 14:42   #7374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Btw, Mulholland Drive happens to top the list of BBC's top 100 must watch movies
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...greatest-films
And that is precisely why it bothers me so much. Forget about liking it, I just couldn't understand the plot, the ending etc.
Old 29th July 2019, 18:33   #7375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post

Thanks for the Reco.

You might want to checkout another old movie with multiple plotlines converging towards a good reveal.

Its called 11:14 Link to trailer below

Enjoy
Dinesh
Old 1st August 2019, 11:53   #7376
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think HotStar has a better movie collection than Netflix .

Strongly recommend "Recount", currently on Hotstar. Easily 5 / 5 stars. Kevin Spacey is awesome as always. Drama based on the real-life events of what went down in the Bush vs Gore election. All came down to Florida and boy, was it a mess. If you love politics or dramas or both, this is the movie for you.

Old 1st August 2019, 11:59   #7377
BHPian

This seems to something that is worth the wait to watch.

Old 2nd August 2019, 14:38   #7378
Distinguished - BHPian

Justice League V the fatal five

Animated full length.
After long stretch of purely animation focused movies from WB, this one has a very decent plot too. Does not lose steam till right at the end.
Essentially, villains of a future league travel back in time to JL time, and bring along a future superhero. Then its the usual melee with superman, batman, and the gang. There's no martian here, just his niece(?). Greta fun, and very well prepared.
Must watch for fans, as if we miss even the bad ones()

5/5
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:36   #7379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am agrees.
The plot is more or less standard, but the way it has been done/shot is just brilliant!
Agree with both the reviews. The plot, execution, editing everything gets a from my side.

Searching = A very good one time watch.
Old 4th August 2019, 11:24   #7380
Senior - BHPian

This week had the opportunity to travel international and on the return flight binged on the in-flight entertainment content on offer.

Watched the following movies/documentaries:

1) I can, I will, I did: One time watch. About a kid who recovers from an accident caused due to bullying, the people who helped and the lessons learnt.

2) The Humming bird project: An interesting movie about an aggressive financial trader who bets on an expensive project to profit from the markets, subsequently gets diagnosed with cancer, and how that leads him to understand life. Liked the movie.

3) Antibiotics: A documentary on antibiotic drugs and how bacteria on the verge of getting drug resistant. Scary stuff and provides a good overview of antibiotics and the future.

4) Into the Okavango: A must watch wildlife documentary by Nat Geo. I welled up with emotions and tears at the end. Stunning effort, narration, pictures and music. Today, going to make my daughter watch it. It is available on Hotstar.

Into the Okavango trailer:

Most Viewed