Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2012, 01:09   #4786
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hey guys.. I dunno if its been discussed before, but I wanted to ask - What are the funniest movies you have seen? I mean real good, high quality comedy. Can you guys give your suggestions?
Hi
My cousin Vinny.More witty than slapstick comedy.
It is a mad mad mad mad world
The odd couple
Irma la Douce
Laurel and Hardy a whole lot of them.The slapstick kind.Not to mention in this genre Charlie Chaplin,Buster Keaton,later on Jerry Lewis,The 3 stooges,Bob Hope Jack Lemon
A compilation was done which was called the laughing or roaring twenties.
This is to start with.Will keep adding.
Have a nice viewing.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 13:35   #4787
Distinguished - BHPian

"The Dark Knight Rises"

Found the end to be apt in terms of story telling, granduer and action all finely interwined to bring it to a commendable climax and end to this trilogy.

As many rightly said, Batman was shown almost like a human without any superpowers and for once the villian ( Bane) was shown more powerful.

Saw this in IMAX screen and some of the scenes shot in IMAX format was mindblowing and worth the expensive ticket price ( Rs.250)

Anne Hathway nicely filled in the catwoman suit and was decent in action sequence but, nothing to say about her emoting capabilities.

Overall, it is a must watch for Batman and Nolan fans.

P.S: Does anyone like me think there is a 4th edition in store especially from the last few minutes footage?

4/5
Old 30th July 2012, 15:24   #4788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
"The Dark Knight Rises"

P.S: Does anyone like me think there is a 4th edition in store especially from the last few minutes footage?

4/5
Nolan has said that he is done with the franchise, so if Warner Brothers want to continue the franchise, they must get another director on board. I have a feeling that Nolan might stay onboard as the producer and might ( I'm hoping ) promote his brother Jonathan Nolan to the role of director. I think it would be a great idea as Jonah is a great writer ( he has written all the scripts for Nolan's films except Insomnia ) and could make a good director too . Or WB might decide to bring some other experienced director instead of risking such a lucrative franchise on a newbie ( I just hope they don't bring Zack Snyder ) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hey guys.. I dunno if its been discussed before, but I wanted to ask - What are the funniest movies you have seen? I mean real good, high quality comedy. Can you guys give your suggestions?
Superbad . One of the funniest movies I have seen in recent times. Has a lot of quotable dialogues and some really funny characters as well as sequences. Ofcourse, not suited for family viewing.

Fanboys. Another very funny movie about a group of Star Wars fans on a Road Trip to George Lucas' ranch to steal the first print of 'Star Wars Episode 1' . You can enjoy the movie even if you are not a big Star Wars fan, but a basic knowledge of the Star Wars phenomena multiplies the fun of this very underrated movie.

Last edited by Newpunter : 30th July 2012 at 15:31.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:42   #4789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Does anyone like me think there is a 4th edition in store especially from the last few minutes footage?
Both Nolan and Bale are done with the franchise. They've both stated it well in advance that they don't want to continue this further. Nolan was anyway hesitant to make the 3rd part as well, but the producers stuck with him. Of course the producers would want a string in the series that they might exploit to get another part in, if they're probably in need of a mega hit. I however do not see another part coming in the next 5-6 years. Maybe "Batman of the future" after that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Nolan has said that he is done with the franchise, so if Warner Brothers want to continue the franchise, they must get another director on board. I have a feeling that Nolan might stay onboard as the producer and might ( I'm hoping ) promote his brother Jonathan Nolan to the role of director.
Have you seen Person of Interest? It's by Johnathan Nolan and it's pretty gripping. Infact it does seem similar to Batman with a billionaire trying to help people and all. But I doubt he'd be given the job just because of his surname. If Man of Steel is half as good as batman, then Nolan should be busy with that series for the next 5-6 years anyway.
Old 30th July 2012, 16:03   #4790
BHPian

There is actually a picture that's on the net which suggests that Superman might be directed by Nolan. That picture's actually a poster of TDKR ! If you look closely at the left bottom of the picture, you'll find the superman logo!
Old 30th July 2012, 19:46   #4791
BHPian

Hello friends saw TDKR today and wow it was amazing. Had thought why not watch TDK the night before but decided to skip it and went with a free mind. And wow what a movie.

Please dont compare it to TDK. TDKR is a fantastic movie in its own right. Well im not going to say more so as to avoid spoilers. But watch it. Its better than any superhero movie released this year.

And if Chris Nolan directs Superman i will definitely watch it. All these other superhero movies feel unreal. Anyways ill be visiting once again. And cant wait long enough for the Blu ray to release.

A special note of appreciation for BGM by Hans Zimmer. Its bravery inspiring.

P.s the whole theatre was fully booked for the 3 shows. And a huge line for advance booking. And many had viewed more than once.

10 out of 5. Yes you read right. Must watch.

Cya.
Old 30th July 2012, 22:07   #4792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
There is actually a picture that's on the net which suggests that Superman might be directed by Nolan. That picture's actually a poster of TDKR ! If you look closely at the left bottom of the picture, you'll find the superman logo!
Man of Steel (2013) - IMDb
Man of Steel (2013). Christopher Nolan is listed as one of the writers. The film will be directed by Zack Snyder though. A trailer is out on youtube.

Last edited by mithunkb : 30th July 2012 at 22:08.
Old 31st July 2012, 21:20   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
He is the producer and story writer of the movie. The director is of 300 and Watchmen fame.

The trailer of Man of Steel is shown before the start of TDKR. And it seems awesome. Not too tacky like previous Superman movies.
Old 1st August 2012, 00:41   #4794
BHPian

Thumpingheart
Hi
A couple of more all time great comedies.Nice clean funny movies.
Boeing Boeing(Garam Masala was based on it)
Arrivedeci Baby
Come September
What did you do in the war daddy(okayish)
Regards
Old 1st August 2012, 07:44   #4795
Senior - BHPian

Step Up: Revolution 3D

A very good music and dance movie with lots of special effects.

The pick of the movie is the Miami city, foot tapping music and dance routines. Very creatively choreographed ably supported by cinematography.

The lead can't act but dance gracefully and look stunning. The lead lady (don't know her name) is beautiful and moves her body like poetry in motion.

The energy that emotes from the dance is what this film excels in. If someone is expecting inception like story or expendables like action or hangover type humor, look elsewhere. This is about dance and music. If they had put in a decent story like first 3 parts, it would have been good but this is ok.

And yes, i am a Step Up fan. As long as they bring in good moves and music to this series, its gonna live. In 3D, the effect was very good and dances appeared exciting.

A feel good, time pass movie.

3.5/5
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:12   #4796
Distinguished - BHPian

I am scheduled to watch " Total Recall" tonight.

I hope its as good as the original movie starring Arnie
Old 4th August 2012, 17:46   #4797
BHPian

Saw 21 Jump Street, and it is amazing. Has to be one of the best comedies in recent times. The first 15-20 mins, I was literally LMAO.
The second half seemed a little elongated and over-emotional, bollywood-ish, but overall it was a great watch. Highly recommended.
Old 5th August 2012, 21:35   #4798
Senior - BHPian

Watched TDKR today. Boy!!! it was amazing. Well made and gripping till the end. Has fanboy moments too. After ages I had enjoyed clapping in the cinema hall during the avengers, it was same here this time. Although the plot had its flaws which I wont discuss here, it was still very well made. A fitting climax to the greatest superhero triology.
PS: Man of steel trailor at the begining has given me a reason to wait for 2012 to get over soon.
Old 6th August 2012, 16:00   #4799
Team-BHP Support

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bmja2mjq1mtc0n15bml5banbnxkftztywmjq1nja5._v1._sy317_cr30214317_.jpg

The Shining (1980) - IMDb

Its an old movie that I finally got around to watching. Its considered as a classic in the Horror genre.

Its a simple movie. A small family is living in a deserted hotel during winter. The hotel is shut down as the weather conditions don't make it economically viable for it to be open during this season.

The father played by Jack Nicholson goes mad and tries to kill his wife and son.
The Son has some mental powers.
The wife is extremely strong willed and stands between the mad dad and the poor son.

For a horror movie there are a lot of ghosts but no major scary moments like "Evil Dead".
But its a good movie. Enjoyed watching it.

As you should with all good horror movies, watch it alone.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:23   #4800
BHPian

Watched Mary and Max (2009) - IMDb yesterday. Liked it very much.
Quote:
In the mid-1970's, a homely, friendless Australian girl of 8 picks a name out of a Manhattan phone book and writes to him; she includes a chocolate bar. She's Mary Dinkle, the only child of an alcoholic mother and a distracted father. He's Max Horowitz, living alone in New York, overweight, subject to anxiety attacks. He writes back, with chocolate. Thus begins a 20-year correspondence, interrupted by a stay in an asylum and a few misunderstandings. Mary falls in love with a neighbor, saves money to have a birthmark removed and deals with loss. Max has a friendship with a neighbor, tries to control his weight, and finally gets the dream job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks