Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 13:39   #4036
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

My all time favourites that I never get tired of watching them. Not in any order though.

1. American Beauty: When I watched this for the first time in the late nineties, I couldn't get what was so great about this movie. But after my stint US, I found this movie was so amazing and compelling. The characters were so real and the plight of dysfunctional american families could not have been cinematized better. After seeing this movie and American Born Confused Desi (ABCD), two of my friends sold their assets in the US and moved back to India.

2. The Shawshank Redemption: Should have won many oscars but totally dwarfed by 'Forest Gump'. Story telling at it's best.

3. Falling down: Mesmerizing acting by Michael Douglus. Tragi story told in comical style. A must watch if you are a Douglus fan.

4. Forest Gump: A tear jerker but you will not relent watching till the end. The movie which re-inforced Tom Hanks career.

5. HEAT: Action combined with great acting by the two Italian icons Al Pacino and Robert de Nero. You get goosebumps when these guys engage in a dialogue in the resturant scene. The gun fighting scene at the heart of LA will leave you spell bound.

6. Goodfellas: Probably the bible of many gangster movies especially to Ramgopal Verma.

7. Airplane: May be the very first successful spoof movie. Catapulted Leslie Nielsen to Super 'spoof' star status. Known for it's ridiculous dialogues such as 'Don't call me Shirley'. We miss Nielsen.

8. The Entity: The movie which gave me nightmares for weeks after I saw it early nineties when I was in college. No blood, no flesh, no gory zombie figures but the entity chills your spine.

9. A few good men: Mega stars, mega director and they won't disappoint. I would watch the lunch scene and the court room scenes again and again.

10. Me, Myself and Irene: Though there are other Jim Carrey hits, I find this so hilarious. The split personality perfectly matches Jim. My stomach gets sick whenever I watch the 'Cotton Mouth' scene at the police station.
Thunderbird77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 14:48   #4037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird77 View Post
My all time favourites that I never get tired of watching them. Not in any order though.
That's really a good list. I have seen all the movies except #3 & #7 and completely agree with your POV
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 15:24   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's really a good list. I have seen all the movies except #3 & #7 and completely agree with your POV
Thanks mate. I will post many other movies that I like, later.
BTW, why don't you post your favourites?
Old 25th August 2011, 16:05   #4039
BHPian

watched Dr. Zhivago, TV series 2002
Doctor Zhivago (TV 2002) - IMDb

What a wonderful movie !!
Old 31st August 2011, 14:08   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Saw a bunch of movies over the past two weeks. Let me see if i can list them here:
1. The Lincoln Lawyer: Story of a lawyer who almost runs his practice from the backseat of his Lincoln, until he takes on a client that turns out to be more than what he appears to be. Pretty good watch, specially since i was watching it on the small screen of an airplane seat.

2. I Am Number Four: Aliens and all that jazz. Good one time watch though. The hero has acted well for this sort of movie, i must say. Great graphics, which have almost become a norm now.

3. Rise of the Planet of Apes: Very nice movie if you have followed the whole Planet of the Apes story. Sort of the Apes version of X Men FC.

4. 30 Minutes or Less: Hilarious comedy. Jesse Eisenberg (of the Facebook movie fame) excels in delivering crisp dialogs. In this movie he is a pizza delivery boy who gets caught in the half brained plot of two rich good for nothing idiots.

5. The Help: I think this is the movie of the year. Set in the 50s Mississippi, its the story of a white girl's attempt to get the perspective of raising kids by the black maids. Not only does the movie capture the mood of those times well, but also the settings, the makeup, everything. Kinda like Mad Men. Anyway, a courageous movie that exposes the hypocrisy and racism of those times.

Phew. I think this is it.

EDIT: Nope that was not it!
6. Thor: Good coming of age movie about a mythical hero. Has its funny moments too. Specially when Thor says, "I need sustenance", and later walks into a pet store and yells, "I need a horse!"

Last edited by amitoj : 31st August 2011 at 14:11.
Old 31st August 2011, 14:46   #4041
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird77 View Post

2. The Shawshank Redemption: Should have won many oscars but totally dwarfed by 'Forest Gump'. Story telling at it's best.
I agree with you that the oscars for that year should have read...

Best Director - Frank Darabont
Best Screenplay - Frank Darabont
Best Actor - Tim Robbins
Best Supporting role, Male- Morgan Freeman

This short story from Stephen king is such a departure from his usual stuff of which im a big fan, by the way.

Another must watch along the same lines (from the same writer-director combo) is the Green mile though its not quite in the same league as Shawshank. Starring tom hanks and Michael Clarke Duncan.

Have been meaning to watch 'Hearts in Atlantis' based on book by stephen king which - a collection of 5 short stories. The film is based on one of these titled 'Low men in yellow coats'.
Old 31st August 2011, 14:58   #4042
Senior - BHPian

Tree of life.

needs to be added in everyones 'most fav' movies

awesomeness. is what this movie is.

cheers,
ac
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:32   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
For reasons (still) unknown to me, decided to catch up on some Horror "classics" over the weekend.

I am a major scardy cat when it comes to horror flicks but every now and then, I have to watch one .

However, i went the extra mile and saw not one but 2 scary movies last week:
Hey nice to know there are other horror heads on the forum. The '80's were a great period for horror. I remember gathering all my friends, drawing the curtains and watching each new release on VHS. Ahh the good old days when movies would actually scare the crap out of me.

I remember watching Demons and Demons 2 a long time ago. If I remember correctly, D2 is about a cinema hall where people start transforming into ...well demons. There is a really cool scene where a demon's got a woman by the hair and her friends are trying to pull her away but the demon rips her entire scalp off the skull. A lot of the movies were actually very campy and cheesy but a lot of fun. Evil dead is one of the few movies that balanced scares and laughs perfectly well. the director has recently made " Drag me to hell" which is also quite a good flick.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd September 2011 at 12:34. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts. Thanks.
Wolfheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:30   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I remember watching Demons and Demons 2 a long time ago. If I remember correctly, D2 is about a cinema hall where people start transforming into ...well demons.

The director has recently made " Drag me to hell" which is also quite a good flick.
Arrey the one about the movie hall and the mask that transforms the movie goer into a demon is Demons part 1, not 2. Part 2 is where a spoilt brat of a woman has her b'day party, goes to her room to watch a demon flick on TV, the Demon comes out of the TV and transforms her into ..... well ..... a Demon . Then she transforms the party goers into Demons, they transform the rest of the building folks and so on.

Evil Dead is a class apart. Sam Raimi has got to get back to making horror movies. Enough of Spider Man I have had.

It is much better than 1 and some scenes are a bit scary. But the scene where the demons attack the people at a "midnight" gym is downright funny.

I will be getting my hands on "drag me to hell" pretty soon, thanks for letting me know about this one. Have you seen it?

Edit - Oops, just realized I cannot watch this movie (DMTH) for a couple or so weeks. Wife's out of town to see her parents. Will have to wait for her to get back else might not be abe to survive the night.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 2nd September 2011 at 15:39.
Old 4th September 2011, 09:50   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Saw this wonderful comedy called The Blues Brothers (1978)
Jake gets out of prison only to realize that the orphanage he and his brother Elwood grew up in is going to be shut down due to non payment of taxes. They decide to get their band together to raise the money. What follows is outrageous car chases and brilliant musicals, peppered with legends of blues like Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, James Brown to name a few. And there is also a woman who is trying to kill them.
I am told that the two main characters emerged from the Saturday Night Live show.
Anyway, the plot does have gaping holes but you tend to overlook them in the light of brilliant comedy.
Dont miss it for anything specially if you are a blues fan. And it has something for the car nut too, in the form of a retired cop car that Elwood buys at a police auction.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 10:39   #4046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Saw this wonderful comedy called The Blues Brothers (1978)
Jake gets out of prison only to realize that the orphanage he and his brother Elwood grew up in is going to be shut down due to non payment of taxes. They decide to get their band together to raise the money. What follows is outrageous car chases and brilliant musicals, peppered with legends of blues like Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, James Brown to name a few. And there is also a woman who is trying to kill them.
I am told that the two main characters emerged from the Saturday Night Live show.
Anyway, the plot does have gaping holes but you tend to overlook them in the light of brilliant comedy.
Dont miss it for anything specially if you are a blues fan. And it has something for the car nut too, in the form of a retired cop car that Elwood buys at a police auction.
There is a part II sequel to this also titled the Blues Brothers.
If you liked the 1st one , do watch the 2nd part
Old 4th September 2011, 10:45   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
There is a part II sequel to this also titled the Blues Brothers.
If you liked the 1st one , do watch the 2nd part
Hehe yeah i have read a bit about the 2nd part. And like all sequels, it seems to suffer the same fate of being compared with the first one and getting trashed. Although the presence of BB King in the cast makes me want to ignore all those comments.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:49   #4048
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a movie called " Hunt for the BTK Killer" based on a true story about a serial killer who wrecked havoc between 1970's and 2005 in Wichita, Kansas.

BTK stands for "Bind them, Torture them, Kill them"

This movie is more like a documentry shown from killer's POV and even though a bit slow is quite engrossing.

This killer possibly the only one who came out into open after a 30-year sabbatical and gets caught.

It's a good way to look into the demented minds of serial killers

3.5/5

P.S: Next in line is " Dark Water" starring Jennifer O'Connely. Its supposed to be a engrossing thriller.
Old 6th September 2011, 17:15   #4049
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Next in line is " Dark Water" starring Jennifer O'Connely. Its supposed to be a engrossing thriller.
You would like Dark Water. Loved the ending.
Seen 'El Orphanato' (The Orphanage) yet?
Old 6th September 2011, 17:18   #4050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
You would like Dark Water. Loved the ending.
Seen 'El Orphanato' (The Orphanage) yet?
Oh Yeah! Is it like The Orphanage?

That was one heck of a movie. It twisted my mind completely and hit me right in the solar plexus

I am told there is another such movie called "Case 39". It's there on my queue but, is on wait list from last one week

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks