Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 23:36   #4126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad
Christian Bale is psychotic. Brilliant ...... but psychotic.
Next up, another one of Bale's works - American Psycho. Anyone see it?
I loved it. Bale is just fabulous. If you liked Harsh Times, you will enjoy this one too.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 21st September 2011 at 23:37.
Old 22nd September 2011, 05:39   #4127
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched the documentary 'War on Democracy' couple of months back.
Its created by renowned journalist John Pilger. The documentary narrates brutal and shocking activities of CIA in South America.

An eye opener - 4/5
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:40   #4128
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Straw Dogs' - remake of the 1971 classic this weekend. With James Marsden in for Dustin Hoffman - there is really no competition between the acting, but for the one watching the new movie, it should appeal. Warning - violence and sexual content are the mainstay of this film - so be advised.
3.5/5 from me. This remake could have been made in a better way.
Old 24th September 2011, 02:30   #4129
Senior - BHPian

Watched

Zookeeper

A romantic film about a zookeeper. Animals in this movie help him get his love. Animals speak to human beings too. Seems weird with weird, modulated voices. A one time predictable watch. Movie has some excellent drool worthy exotics.

3/5

The other end of line

This one has an Indian connection. Hollywood meets Bollywood. Again a mushy romantic movie with a little bit of humor thrown in. Predictable storyline with excellent views of San Francisco. Liked Shreya Saran, she looks beautiful in some scenes. A little above average watch. Watch if you have nothing to do and want to hear girls exclaim 'so sweet' or 'so cute' during the movie.

3.5/5

The Ledge

Its a romantic thriller with loads of religious stuff thrown in. I liked the movie in the sense that its a bit 'hatke'. While it is suppose to thrill, it does it in a talkative sort of way. The whole movie has no action scene but manages to hold you in seats about what will happen to suicide guy. Climax is good though it may make you sad. Not to be watched with kids since it has some explicit scenes. Downsides would be the long talks makes it a bit boring.

3.5/5

Last edited by chevelle : 24th September 2011 at 02:34.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:44   #4130
Senior - BHPian

Watched 3 movies over the weekend:
  • American Psycho
  • Platoon
  • Lethal weapon 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I loved it. Bale is just fabulous. If you liked Harsh Times, you will enjoy this one too.
American Psycho - It was not quite to my liking. I mean Bale is just brilliant and with every movie that I watch starring him, I respect him as an actor even more. But otherwise, the movie did not quite have anything else going for it. Characters came and went and did not really develop into something interesting. Example - Take Willem Dafoe's character (detective). Bateman (C. Bale) gave him all kinds of crap for information that never checked out. Still, Dafoe just seems to vanish into thin air post the lunch him and Bateman have. Where does he go, why he does not pursue Bateman despite many many holes in his story is just beyond me. Bateman is ready to feed a cat to an ATM, but does nothing about a man who thinks bateman is homosexual and tries to "seduce" him.

The worst part for me is that the origin of his .... er..... psychoness was never explored. I mean take the case of a real life serial killer - Ted Bundy. He had a less than happy childhood and he displayed psychotic behavior form a very very early age (3 yrs old). I mean it needs to stem from somewhere. "I guess I am a sick guy" just did not cut it for me.

But its definitley a one time watch for slasher fans. Bale looks great and his acting is all that saves the movie.

Rating - 3/5

Platoon - A grippy movie with Vietnam war in the backdrop. Charlie Sheen volunteers to enlist in the army to "learn something new .... that he could not learn at college". His band of brothers includes a cold blooded sergeant Barnes (Tom Berenger), a level headed "Elias" (Willem Dafoe) and a platton thats divided over morality issues.

For me, the greatest war movie I have ever seen would be "Saving Pvt. Ryan". This is a very very close 2nd for me. Oliver Stone is a great story teller and Charlie Sheen acted really well.

A must watch.

Rating - 4.5 / 5

OT - Is there anyone here who has played the PS 2 game - "Resident Evil 4" and also seen this movie (Platoon)? Doesn't Berenger remind you of "Jack Krauser"? The way he looked, scar on the face and knife fighting skills is all so identical to Berenger (although Jack was a bit "beefier").

Lethal Wapon 4 - Man o mannnnn. Easily the best of the Lethal Weapon series and definitely amongst the top few action movies (for me at least) ever made. I probably was seeing this for the umpteenth time but it was as entertaining as it was the 1st time I watched it. The chemistry between Riggs (Mel Gibson) and Murtaugh (D. Glover) literally comes through the screen. Their relationship is very very believable. Joe Pesci provides good comic relief. The scene where they question "Uncle Benny" at a dentist's office is hilarious. I was in splits seeing Danny Glover laugh.

Jet Li gave a mighty good performance. He was not trying to act cool (Romeo must die anyone?) but instead was mostly quiet. Whatever dialogues he had were in Chinese (cantonese?). Since he played a Chinese man, methinks he was in his element. He moved and kicked butt pretty good. On the other hand, Chris Rock was just OK. Very average role / performance.

Some action scenes are over the top, like the car chase sequence (black merc). I mean come on, driving on the highway, launching the car into an office building many many floors up, driving through!!!!!! the office, breaking out of a window and landing the car back on the freeway. My wife looked at me with nothing but disgust in her eyes. "This..... this is a GOOD MOVIE?"

I recommend it. Action fans would do good not to miss it.

Rating - 4/5

Next up - "Full metal jacket" and "a bridge too far". Came across these movies on wikipedia as one of the best war movies ever made. Anyone see it?

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th September 2011 at 21:14. Reason: Onlye 2 smilies per post please, thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 17:14   #4131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Platoon
For me, the greatest war movie I have ever seen would be "Saving Pvt. Ryan". This is a very very close 2nd for me. Oliver Stone is a great story teller and Charlie Sheen acted really well.

A must watch.

Rating - 4.5 / 5
Have you watched "Apocalypse Now" starring Charlie's dad Martin Sheen ? It had some brilliant performances from Martin as well as Marlon Brando. I would rate it as one of the best war movies ever, probably better than Saving Pvt Ryan ( although I liked that movie too ) . However, I need to warn you that it is not for the faint hearted, especially towards the end ( you will know what i mean when you reach the end, and yes it's real, not fake ) .
Newpunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 17:21   #4132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Have you watched "Apocalypse Now" starring Charlie's dad Martin Sheen ? It had some brilliant performances from Martin as well as Marlon Brando. I would rate it as one of the best war movies ever, probably better than Saving Pvt Ryan ( although I liked that movie too ) . However, I need to warn you that it is not for the faint hearted, especially towards the end ( you will know what i mean when you reach the end, and yes it's real, not fake ) .
Hey ya. I remember watching this one a very!!!!!! long time back. I only have a faint recollection of this movie though. Remember when the late night movies on "Star Movies" were uncensored? That is when I saw it and thatshow long its been.

And a part of the "faint recollection" is the ending. How the hell can anyone forget that? Never knew it was real. But thanks for reminding me of this one. Will add this to the other two war flicks I will be watching shortly.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:23   #4133
Distinguished - BHPian

not disputing anyone's personal choice of the best war movie.
but if you like this genre(ww2), like i do, you must additionally check out:
das boot
eye of the needle
empire of the sun
swing kids(christian bale, amazing!!)
sahara(with belushi, not the newer ........thing, lets say)
enemy at the gates
pianist
valkyrie(of course)
1941(or was it 42?whichever, it is HILARIOUS!!)

not included the mainstream ones(cept for valkyrie).

even if you miss all, do catch sahara!!!
Old 26th September 2011, 18:28   #4134
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
+100

I have never watched a more spell bounding war movie than this one. Its a masterclass. Me and a bunch of friends were speechless after watching this.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:40   #4135
Senior - BHPian

Friend suggested me to watch INCENDIES (French/Arabic with subtitles), He says it is must watch movie. Any reviews?
Old 26th September 2011, 19:11   #4136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If psychotic movies are okay with you, and your a fan of Mr.Bale; watch 'The Machinist'. Some nudity and gore but the twist and Bale's acting are fantastic.
Old 26th September 2011, 19:27   #4137
BHPian

Another war related film (WW2) which I enjoyed watched the most was Downfall. The best Hitler related movie ever made. Though it has a long runtime (~3 hours), you don't feel it's dragged or boring even for a minute.
Old 26th September 2011, 19:39   #4138
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, need some input about the following movies, I found them to be priced at 99Rs at Flipkart (guess these might be Eagle Home Video movies and I bought few before and quality was ok) and they sound interesting. Can you guys tell me if they are good movies,
1. 15 minutes
2. O Brother where art thou
3. The Fog (1980)
4. Frequency
5. Long kiss goodnight

There are many more titles for this price but I've many of them already (Crash, I'm Sam, Reservoir Dogs etc) and found these movies which I still haven't watched and was just thinking if they worth buying as 99Rs is not that costly. Please let me know if I need to remove any movie from those 5.
BTW, bought movies (DVD) like Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Chungking Express etc. for 99Rs each from Flipkart (released by Palador). Even Seven Samurai is priced at 99Rs but seems to be out of stock as of now.
Old 26th September 2011, 20:13   #4139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hi guys, need some input about the following movies, I found them to be priced at 99Rs at Flipkart (guess these might be Eagle Home Video movies and I bought few before and quality was ok) and they sound interesting. Can you guys tell me if they are good movies,
1. 15 minutes
2. O Brother where art thou
3. The Fog (1980)
4. Frequency
5. Long kiss goodnight

There are many more titles for this price but I've many of them already (Crash, I'm Sam, Reservoir Dogs etc) and found these movies which I still haven't watched and was just thinking if they worth buying as 99Rs is not that costly. Please let me know if I need to remove any movie from those 5.
BTW, bought movies (DVD) like Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Chungking Express etc. for 99Rs each from Flipkart (released by Palador). Even Seven Samurai is priced at 99Rs but seems to be out of stock as of now.
Lovely of you to buy movies, but as they say you have alternatives. Afterall you would watch them once right?
Old 26th September 2011, 20:37   #4140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Lovely of you to buy movies, but as they say you have alternatives. Afterall you would watch them once right?
Waiting for Star Movies or HBO to play the movie I want to watch is not something I enjoy. There are some movies which I watch 2-3 times and I like to collect good movies so that I can watch them again when I want. And again 99Rs is not much, if it was like 3-400 Rs then I would think many times before buying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks