Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 19:52   #3991
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
That was some movie frenzy week(end) ! I am trying hard to find time for the "Rise of Apes" and still not done with it
Yeah luckily Since last month I have been able to enjoy a lot of movies in Weekdays as well as Weekends, Do watch the Rise of the planet of the Apes its a nice movie

Watched Seven Pounds

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-sevenposter1small.jpg

Now I had great expectation from this movie, keeping in mind Will Smith's other sensitive movie The Pursuit of Happyness. But this one disappointed. The movie starts on a confusing sequences mixing up the timelines. The movie is about Will Smith's character who decides to improve seven people's lives before giving up his own due to an incident in his life.

Now the plot sounds interesting only that the movie concentrates mostly 1 or 2 characters the rest 5 are given cameo roles. Still some of the scenes are very touchy & for those only its somewhat worth watching.

2.5/5
Old 9th August 2011, 22:43   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Blitz
IMDb - Blitz (2011)
A tough cop is dispatched to take down a serial killer who has been targeting police officers.

Big fan of statham that why i saw this.
Just a one time watch.

Rating -3/5

Hanna
Hanna (2011) - IMDb
A 16-year-old who was raised by her father to be the perfect assassin is dispatched on a mission across Europe, tracked by a ruthless intelligence agent and her operatives.

Eric Bana has acted very well. If logic can be kept aside this is a good watch.

RaTING-3.5/5

Courage Under fire-
Its a delight to see Denzel act. His screen presence is intimidating for others.
Must watch for the brilliant screenplay and denzels acting.

Rating -4/5
Old 10th August 2011, 12:28   #3993
BHPian

Thank you, Mobike008.
I guess I have made the final choice based on your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

1. 1-disc at a time is the max that you can view considering the busy schedules these days of almost everyone

2. 1-disc per annum costs Rs.3500. For renewal members there are some discounts and it comes down to roughly Rs.2800

Feedback regarding their service

1. When I started out, their collection was not that great and i used to normally pick up from store which was a few meters away from home. But, over the years, they have discarded store sytems and not only deliver mostly to your doorstep

2. Their service is extremely prompt. In last 3 years, they may have not delivered 1-2 times. And, they may have delivered the wrong CD maybe once. 10/10 for this point

3. Their DVD quality is very good. Again in 3 years, maybe 2-3 DVD's had an issue. Otherwise, very good

4. They dont have a great collection for Hindi movies. But, they are slowly improving

5. English collection is very good and going by the number of movies that i still havent seen. I reckon i am good to go for another 2-3 years

6. Only downside, BF has grown phenomenally over the years and my sole assumption for this is because in the past movies which you can like can be reserved immediately. But, now there is a "short wait" "medium wait" and "long wait" system.

7. I just wish they add newer english movies faster to their list.

Overall, I am quite happy with Bigflix and highly recommend them. They are at www.bigflix.com

Well, I'll get the membership today itself.

Thanks!

And before I go, I am sure everyone has watched the movie:

Original Sin.
No words for it, I would give it 5/5 for a drama based movie.

I also liked Beyond Borders.
Though it was not a major success. But I personally liked it.

Last edited by girlieonwheels : 10th August 2011 at 12:30.
Old 10th August 2011, 12:51   #3994
BHPian

Saw the following:

Se7en : Good watch - Kevin Spacey Rocks! Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt - good performances 4 /5

Limitless : Good movie - 4/5

Fight Club : 4/5

Will watch:
Law Abiding Citizen
Source Code
Time Travellers Wife
Old 10th August 2011, 13:04   #3995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels View Post
Thank you, Mobike008.
I guess I have made the final choice based on your feedback.

Well, I'll get the membership today itself.

Thanks!
I hope you too have a smooth run with them. Enjoy !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
@Mobike

Do they have a decent collection of movies on Blu Ray?

How's the horror / thriller selection?

Thanks!
Are you kidding me? Blue-Ray? I am not even sure they have started that service. Let me check on it and will revert soon.

With regards to Horror Genre, they have a decent collection ( read; all popular movies) but, if your looking at unknown and different language horror, you may wont find them there. And, rightly so, the service will add collections which are popular and dont serve the needs for a few extremely horror passionates like you and me

Thriller Genre is a separate one on their website and has a very good collection.

Saw " Heaven's Prisoner" starring Alec Baldwin and Eric Roberts

Story of an ex-cop (AB) with a drinking problem and when he and his wife rescue people from a plane crash and illegally adopt a small girl thats when their life becomes hell.

It's a slightly slow movie but, nevertheless a good action and thriller movie with style, color tone and tinge of the late 90's movies with quite a few nice fist fights

Alec Baldwin is so goodlooking with those lovely blue eyes and looked really handsome in this movie. If you see him now, he put on so much weight, he is un-recognizable. Some people just let go of themselves.

tsk, tsk !

Worth a one time watch

3/5

P.S: Next in Line " Home of the Brave" starring Samuel L Jackson. Any Reviews?
Old 10th August 2011, 16:09   #3996
Senior - BHPian

Just watched True Grit.

The movie is painfully slow and is more dialogue oriented. Skip if you find it hard to follow the accent or are not a fan of slow movies.

Excellent performance by the cast. Of special mention is the little girl, brilliant job. Matt Damon, as usual, at his best.

3 on a scale of 5.
Old 12th August 2011, 00:47   #3997
Senior - BHPian

Watched Rain Man

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-215pxrain_man_poster.jpg

Had lot of expectations keeping in mind the great cast but was disappointed somewhat by the overall story maybe due to the high expectations.

No doubt that the performances are absolutely brilliant but the ending is kind of downer.

The story is about Tom Discovering that he has an Autistic Brother (Dustin) & that their deceased father has left $3 million fortune for his brother and just a car & some roses for Tom.

He kind of kidnaps his brother from the institution where he lives, as he plans to claim custody & half his share from his father's will.

What follows is a road trip where the two brothers bond.

3/5
Old 12th August 2011, 12:53   #3998
Senior - BHPian

Your highness
Your Highness (2011) - IMDb

When Prince Fabious's bride is kidnapped, he goes on a quest to rescue her... accompanied by his lazy useless brother Thadeous.

Its a timepass movie.
Rating-3/5

The Switch
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0889573/
Seven years after the fact, a man comes to the realization that he was the sperm donor for his best friend's boy.

Movie is quiet predictable and i had better hopes from the cast.

Rating-3/5

The Kids Are All Right
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0842926/
Two children conceived by artificial insemination bring their birth father into their family life.

Its a very good watch for people who like family dramas.

Rating-4/5
Old 16th August 2011, 16:52   #3999
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " The Island" starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johanson

Story is set in 2019 and is about a facility that creates clones for rich people who want to make use of their respective clones if any of their organs/skin or whatever fails. What a lame concept

Coudnt understand the movie for atleast 30 minutes and after that there is unecessary action/voilence.

Never liked Ewan. Watched it only for Scarlett and she is eye-candy for sure.

Can be given a miss

2/5

P.S: Next in line " American Gangster" Starring Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe. Any reviews?
Old 16th August 2011, 17:29   #4000
BHPian

Watched Final Destination 5 in 3D yesterday. I would rate this as the worst among all the other 4 parts. Moreover, its become quite predictable after going thru 4 of them earlier.

Overall Rating - 2/5
Old 16th August 2011, 17:30   #4001
Senior - BHPian

American Gangster is a must watch awesome movie. It's based on a true story
Old 16th August 2011, 19:27   #4002
BHPian

American Gangster is a good movie.
Liked acting of both DW and RC. Movie goes at a decent pace and is no thriller. Like it for its storytelling and the story itself.
Would rate it as a 3.5/5, but a one-time watch, for sure.
Old 17th August 2011, 01:44   #4003
Senior - BHPian

watched a cople of movies in past few days.

Planet of The Apes

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-1planetoftheapesdvd.jpg

The movie was a retake on the original classic. The movie starts with Mark Wahlberg & few others in a space ship with a bunch of Trained Apes. The idea is to send an Ape if they see something in space & once they get positive feedback then a human is sent.

One of such missions results in the Ape go missing which prompts Mark to go after him. He is striked by time warp & is taken to a future date, he crashes on Earth only to find out that its now ruled by Apes & humans are treated as slaves.

What follows is his capture amongst other humans & his journey to escape from the planet & uniting the Humans in all this process.

Nice direction with a kind of compromised ending.

2.5/5

Mystic River

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mysticriver.jpg

The Story of 3 childhood friends who come across each other when one of guy's daughter is murdered. The guys had an incident as kids with one of them having suffered an Abduction.

The movie follows a murder mystery which involves all the three friends. Good twists & turns, amazing performances by Sean Penn & Tim Robbins.

The ending is kind of disappointing to me, they should have left it 15 minutes before the actual end.

As with all Client Eastwood Movies I didnt understand the Title of the movie with respect to the storyline but then again this movie is based on a novel by same name, so one can excuse him this time around

3/5

Primal Fear

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-220pxprimal_fear.jpg

The movie is about a Defense Lawyer who takes up an difficult case to get publicity. The case is of an Altar boy caught with blood on his hands for the Murder of Archbishop.

The movie is full of twists & turns & some great performances. To give away the plot, the Hindi movie Dewangee starring Akshay Khanna & Ajay Devgan was a copy of this movie.

3.5/5

127 Hours

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-127.jpg

127 hours is a story of a Mountain Climber Aron Ralston's tough experience in one of his trips where he spent a few days stuck in a valley in Utah with his hand trapped between rocks. The movie depicts his experiences during the trapped hours by the end of which he deices that the only way to survive is to cut his hand off using a blunt Knife.

Amazing performance by James Franco & great direction by Danny Boyle. Not sure how many noticed but the background score is by A.R. Rahman

A must watch for all movie lovers. Some bits could be Gory & difficult to watch but overall an excellent movie.

4/5
Old 18th August 2011, 13:44   #4004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
American Gangster is a must watch awesome movie. It's based on a true story
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
American Gangster is a good movie.
Liked acting of both DW and RC. Movie goes at a decent pace and is no thriller. Like it for its storytelling and the story itself.
Would rate it as a 3.5/5, but a one-time watch, for sure.
Watched this movie and agree with your reviews. Its a nice drama type of movie and is definetly not a thriller and is slow paced but, has some good performances by Russel Crowe and DW.

It's a good one time watch.

3/5

P.S: Next in line " Body of Lies" starring Leonardo Caprio. Is it a good watch?
Old 18th August 2011, 14:11   #4005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Next in line " Body of Lies" starring Leonardo Caprio. Is it a good watch?
Brilliant movie IMO. One of the best performance's by Leo. Even Russel Crowe is great in the movie. Definitely worth a watch.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks