Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 00:56   #5491
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The Wolf of Wall Street

The movie is based on the true story of Jordan Belfort who ran a penny stock scam and made millions. Awesome movie, with a great script, dialogues and characterization. Must watch it in a theater, unless you are prudish. The movie and DiCaprio should most probably win the next Oscars, though Captain Phillips might also be a contender.

4.5/5.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:11   #5492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
P.S -Everyone thinks that I am a nut case for going to theatres alone and watching a movie. I do not see what the issue is but everyone is shocked when I tell them I go to theatres alone sometimes.
I See many movies alone in theatre.
Primarily the hollywood ones as most of my friends are bollywood fans and when i am free they aren't. I think its perfectly fine seeing any movie alone.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th January 2014 at 01:29. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes incovenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 08:42   #5493
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'The Secret life of Walter Mitty' and 'Wolf of Wall Street' on Sunday morning, and what a way to spend a Sunday!! Been really long since we watched good movies at a theater.

First: 'The Secret life of Walter Mitty'
Blown away by the scenery and photography. You identify with Ben's character easily and love the way the movie takes you through awesome locations. The ending really moves you and gives a nice warm feeling in the heart. The movie kind of felt short and they could have shown more, but is worth watching and collecting!
Surprisingly there were hardly 10 people for this movie, maybe due to it being a 9 am show on Sunday!
4.5/5!

Second: 'Wolf of Wall Street'
Blown away by the amount of swearing,obscenity and drugs!! And it was clearly obvious that the movie was cropped many a times. The story is nothing unexpected, but this movie is to be watched for Stellar performance by Leonardo. It has too much adult content, so make sure you choose the company to watch the movie with wisely.
And surprisingly this movie was houseful!!
4/5

We watched the movies back to back with a 20 minute break, but yet 'Walter Mitty' left a lasting impression on our minds!!

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 6th January 2014 at 08:43.
Old 6th January 2014, 16:33   #5494
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" last weekend

What a fantastic movie it was. We were also totally blown away by the characterization, gestures, emotions and simplicity of the entire movie

It's about a character ( Ben Stiller) who has spent his entire life in anoyonimty having done nothing subtantial ever in his life. One small incident gives him the courage to do that over period of a few days and that's simply too inspiring for many of us and we all can totally related to this feeling which creeps up in everybody's life every now and then

Photography is simply mindblowing and seems in leagues of NGC and some of the breathtaking vistas alone is worth the price of the ticket

Ben Stiller has really evolved in his acting though his familar mannerism which i adore still largely remain. Loved Sean Penn in his small role and another favorite of mine

It slightly has tinges of documentarish but, it's a must watch movie if you want to enjoy a great movie at the theatres. One of those rare times I wished the movie was longer than its 120 mins.

4.5/5
Old 8th January 2014, 19:14   #5495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" last weekend

What a fantastic movie it was. We were also totally blown away by the characterization, gestures, emotions and simplicity of the entire movie.

4.5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Watched 'The Secret life of Walter Mitty' and 'Wolf of Wall Street' on Sunday morning

First: 'The Secret life of Walter Mitty'
Blown away by the scenery and photography. You identify with Ben's character easily.

We watched the movies back to back with a 20 minute break, but yet 'Walter Mitty' left a lasting impression on our minds!!
Couldn't agree more. The sad part is, most people would see the title and dismiss the movie as just another comedy / drama. But it is one of the sweetest, simple movies I've seen in a long time.

If The Wolf of Wall Street stands for all that is wrong with us (Greed, Anger, Drugs, Debauchery, Violence),
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty stands for Hope and Dreams. The movie may not appeal to all, since it is a bit too optimistic and simple, in a day and age of cynicism and anger, yet it is one of those rare movies that make you feel good inside.

I would be uncomfortable watching The Wolf of Wall Street again, it is like a hot chilli.
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is like a nice, cooling yoghurt follow up. Definitely one for the soul.

Last edited by avi550m : 8th January 2014 at 19:42.
Old 8th January 2014, 19:36   #5496
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Couldn't agree more. The sad part is, most people would see the title and dismiss the movie as just another comedy / drama. But it is one of the sweetest, simple movies I've seen in a long time. If The Wolf of Wall Street stands for all that is wrong with us (Greed, Anger, Drugs, Debauchery, Violence), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty stands for Hope and Dreams. The movie may not appeal to all, since it is a bit too optimistic and simple, in a day and age of cynicism and anger, yet it is one of those rate movies that make you feel good inside. I would be uncomfortable watching The Wolf of Wall Street again, it is like a hot chilli. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is like a nice, cooling yoghurt follow up. Definitely one for the soul.

Good one Avi.
Nice post and do very true.
It really feels good to see something so clean for a change!
Old 10th January 2014, 07:48   #5497
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched wolf of wall street yesterday. The movie was quite nice but a tad bit too long. Some of the second half could have been better edited I suppose. Leonardo acted well as always but I felt that the best actor in the movie was Matthew mcconaughey. Wish his character stayed a little longer.

Overall rating: 4/5
Old 10th January 2014, 18:17   #5498
Senior - BHPian

Bullet to the head
Just watched For Stallone. A one time watch. Action is good. It's amazing how Sylvester has kept himself fit at this age.
Rating- 3/5
Old 10th January 2014, 18:51   #5499
Distinguished - BHPian

Broken city

Stars Wahlberg, Crowe and zeta-jones.
Well, I think youre taken care of about 50% of the way if your cast can be remembered by their last names only.
And you will not be dissappointed.

Its about a cop, wahlberg, who gets acquitted of a shooting in the line of duty, but has to quit the force. Unfortunately, the corrupt mayor of the city, crowe, has a handle on him and he calls it in 7 years later. The rest all follows Marks's actions and his subsequent disillusionment.

A killer thriller, and has to be seen in a go.
4/5
Old 11th January 2014, 03:34   #5500
Senior - BHPian

Rush
Amazing! one word describes it perfectly.
I am kicking myself for not watching this when it was released.
Must watch for F1 lovers. Screenplay, acting, direction all are top notch.
Must watch.
Rating - 4.5/5

Last edited by harry10 : 11th January 2014 at 03:37.
Old 11th January 2014, 06:52   #5501
Senior - BHPian

The Quick and The Dead

Superb performance from Gene Hackman but that was only expected.

The biggest surprise was Leonardo di Caprio. His acting makes you forget Sharon Stone. Imagine that!
Old 13th January 2014, 12:47   #5502
BHPian

The Wolf of Wall Street (in the Middle East)

What a disaster! Almost all the ‘F’s were muted out, no steamy scenes, in the end you come out of the theater counting how many times you felt the movie just ‘jumped’ ahead.

But from the parts that I did get to watch, it was good. The drive, the passion, the spoils and then the fall and the resurrection of one man… Phew! That was one roller coaster ride.
Like ‘drmohitg’ said, some parts could have been edited better.

Bottom line: Skip the movie if you are in conservative country.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 13th January 2014 at 12:48. Reason: Spelling
Old 13th January 2014, 14:44   #5503
Senior - BHPian

Watched the GRAVITY finally. Luckily, one theatre in Pune has been running this movie weeks after weeks with all shows house-full.

What a movie ! Simply stunning visuals, breathtaking experience, gripping screenplay. I don't have enough adjectives to describe the movie watching experience. I think this was the best 3D experience too, 2nd best could be Avatar. Sandra Bullock has done a great job. This movie might walk away with most of the technical awards at this year's Oscars.

Also, watched World War Z, but was disappointed. I was so looking forwards to the movie after watching the stunning trailer. The movie lacks in pace and the action comes in small batches after long gaps. But the visual effects are very good.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:09   #5504
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam surprised there is no review of "American Hustle" here

Saw this movie about a week ago and was totally blown by the entire movie. Wonderful characterization, storyline, screenplay and overall aura of the movie which is set in 80's America

Story is about a couple who are con artists and are against their will recruited by an FBI agent to bring down some bad characters ( Political and Mafia)

What ensues is a beautiful cat and mouse game between inexperienced FBI agent ( Bradley Cooper) and Con Artist ( Christian Bale) wonderfully supported by the lead heroines (Jenny Lawrence was fantastic). It's not clear who is leading whom, FBI to Con Artists or Con Artists to FBI. The 4 lead actors played their role so well, I feel each one of them deserved an oscar.

This movie was nominated for 9 Oscars and I wouldnt be surprised if they win atleast 5-6

Christian Bale put on hell of a lot of weight for this movie and doesnt look like a batman from any angle

It's a tad long at 2.20 minutes but, exciting all through.

4/5
Old 24th January 2014, 16:37   #5505
Senior - BHPian

Captain Philips - 4.5/5

What a brilliant movie! Based on a true story and shot very much like a true story. Not even once you feel like you are watching a movie. Kudos to the director, Paul Greengrass (Director of the Bourne series)

Tom Hanks is brilliant as usual. The credit must also go to the actors who have played Somalian pirates. And what a background score!

Overall, a must watch movie.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks