Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 01:31   #5446
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not really much of an issue for the script writers I believe.
See, there is a lot of future for the series
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
As i remember reading recently Rock has signed a deal for next 3 fast n furious movies. So the serious will definitely continue.
No,I am sure the scripts writers can do a great job, its more for us, as to we have an expectation from the series & from the characters.

Also unlike Vin's last scenes appearance in Tokyo drift, the guy who appears in last scene(avoiding spoilers here) has set the ball rolling for the next movie with his dialog.

So it would be interesting to see what the Production house decides.

EDIT - Also Justin Lin wont be directing the 7 & it seems that Paul walker would be the in 7. May he had completed shooting for 7. Time will tell

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th December 2013 at 02:10.
Old 13th December 2013, 07:11   #5447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Wonderful movie - unadultrated entertainment. Fantastic songs. Takes you back to the western europe of the War days.

Yesterday, the lovely actress who played the Baroness in this movie - Eleanor Parker died.

BTW, the hindi movie "Parichay" was inspired by Sound of Music.
What wonderful dialogues, and songs!

Parichay starred Jitendra and Jaya Bhaduri if I am not mistaken? Was it the only one 'inspired' from this movie?

Maybe we should start another thread on Hindi movies 'inspired' from the Westerns, and then another on Marathi movies 'inspired' from the Hindi ones.

The one such movie that stands out is Manpasand - which is an adaptation of My Fair Lady which is based on Shaw's play Pigmalion. The Kishore Kumar song at the end of the Hindi movie tilts the balance heavily in favour of the Hindi version - though Dev Anand and Tina Munim are insufferable in the lead roles. Shows you what a beautiful song can do.

The famous Marathi play - Tee Fularani - too was inspired from the Pigmalion.
Old 14th December 2013, 08:49   #5448
Team-BHP Support

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 4/5

Much better than the first one which felt a bit boring to me. This one has a lot more action, Smaug and Orc battles albeit it felt a bit too lengthy for a 2 hour 40 min. movie. Background score is typical of the LOTR series, composed by Howard Shore. Saw the movie in a regular 3D theater not the HFR 3D.

Now, the final part remains. Hope it betters this one just like ROTK did for the LOTR trilogy.
Old 14th December 2013, 09:53   #5449
Senior - BHPian

I somehow don't like adaptations of books into movies. The only exception was the Slumdog Millionaire, where I bought the book after I was impressed with the movie, and was disgusted after reading the book.

LoTR or HP movies on the other hand haven't been as good as the books. Somehow I feel when one is reading a book it unleashes one's imagination. When watching a movie, there's no stimulation to the imagination.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:41   #5450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 4/5

Much better than the first one which felt a bit boring to me. This one has a lot more action, Smaug and Orc battles albeit it felt a bit too lengthy for a 2 hour 40 min. movie. Background score is typical of the LOTR series, composed by Howard Shore. Saw the movie in a regular 3D theater not the HFR 3D.

Now, the final part remains. Hope it betters this one just like ROTK did for the LOTR trilogy.
I felt otherwise. I found the 2nd one to be slow and boring at times. In the first one, they had characters to introduce and story background to build. I expected the 2nd part to be more happening, which I got only in pockets. And to add to that, I found all the pockets to be repeat of each other happening again and again. I'm trying to explain without revealing anything.

My rating 3/5.
Old 15th December 2013, 01:56   #5451
BHPian

The Hobbit - The Desolation if Smaug! 5/5!

Brilliantly executed!
Actual story line is the same as mentioned in the book.
Boring sections have been trimmed away, some extra action sequences added, and Benedict Cumberbatch's dialogue delivery is absolutely brilliant and stunning!

Loved it!! Must watch!!
Old 15th December 2013, 08:51   #5452
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hobbit - Desolation of Smaug
Rating: 3.5/5

The first part was pathetic - basically Peter Jackson, to make more moolah out of the book, has extended a one-movie material into three; as a result of which the part 1 practically had no bookish value.

The second part is quite good, but only till the interval. First half is fast paced, with beautiful visuals and the action scenes are beautifully executed. Second half clearly lags on, with an un-necessary love story and "new" fight sequences which never were there in the book. Logically if one goes by the book, the actual content of the second half should have been done in 45 mins and the movie would have been perfect.

Still a must watch definitely.
Old 15th December 2013, 12:15   #5453
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hobbit is my favourite Tolkien book. The fact that a short, sweet story has been stretched out into a three film franchise makes me want to throw stuff at Hollywood. I tried watching the first part but found it utterly boring. And it is too much like LOTR for my liking.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:56   #5454
Team-BHP Support

Teaser from Nolan's next movie.

This man, his producer wife and his brother who aids him with the screenplay comes up with the most weirdest of all the concepts and pulls off a great movie every single time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
When a wormhole (which hypothetically can connect widely-separated regions of spacetime) is newly discovered, a team of explorers and scientists embark on a voyage through it to transcend previous limitations on human space travel.
Old 19th December 2013, 08:24   #5455
BHPian

I had some free time yesterday. I watched two movies. Don Jon and Rush. Don Jon was pretty okay I felt, nothing great. 2.5/5. Rush on the other hand was really really good. I regret not seeing it in the theatre back in Sept-Oct this year. I would give it a 4.5/5.
I was looking up similar movies, and came across a biopic on Enzo Ferrari from 2003, how is it? Worth a watch?
Old 19th December 2013, 23:23   #5456
Senior - BHPian

Take the money and run (1968) - Woody Allen

The film is shot in a documentary style and follows the life of Virgil, a highly unsuccessful criminal. Whatever crime job he plans, something goes wrong in the end. LOL.

Put it in a sentence, Woody Allen at his comical best. *thumbs up*

My rating : 08/10
Old 20th December 2013, 00:30   #5457
BHPian

Since some have mentioned "Sound of Music", what other movies from that era can be watched?

I really enjoyed watching Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Casablanca and Gone with the Wind. There's a certain charm and simplicity in those movies that's no longer present.
Old 20th December 2013, 06:57   #5458
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I watched the Desolation of Smaug and loved it. Yes the story is stretched out a lot but despite that, it has not developed tears in the fabric.
I'm waiting for next year's instalment quite keenly indeed.
Old 20th December 2013, 07:56   #5459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I watched the Desolation of Smaug and loved it. Yes the story is stretched out a lot but despite that, it has not developed tears in the fabric.
I'm waiting for next year's instalment quite keenly indeed.
I know this is highly subjective, but it seems there will be as many movies on The Hobbit as there were on The Lord of The Rings. I really can't digest that when the books are a contrast in size.
Old 20th December 2013, 09:55   #5460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Hobbit is my favourite Tolkien book. The fact that a short, sweet story has been stretched out into a three film franchise makes me want to throw stuff at Hollywood. I tried watching the first part but found it utterly boring. And it is too much like LOTR for my liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I watched the Desolation of Smaug and loved it. Yes the story is stretched out a lot but despite that, it has not developed tears in the fabric..
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I know this is highly subjective, but it seems there will be as many movies on The Hobbit as there were on The Lord of The Rings. I really can't digest that when the books are a contrast in size.
The problem really isn't that there are 3 movies (or 1 movie) being made out of one book. The problem is when current generation script writers decide to play around with an age old beautiful story just so that the movie can be made longer and more $$$ can be generated out of it. Forget the financials, let's say Peter Jackson had a more holistic view and wanted the greater set of audience to see more of his creations. The core misfit here is he's not creating a new story, he's supposedly telling Tolkien's story. The minute changes that were made in the Lord of the Rings were still within certain limits. Here he's changing essential dialogues and sections that were the core theme of the book! He is bringing in un-necessary & new characters that contrast the very basics of Tolkien's legacy. For example, a love story between an Elf & a Dwarf? Come on! Tolkien didn't touch this concept in the Hobbit or the LOTR, or even the wider Silmarillion. In fact Gimli & Legolas's friendship is considered unique for generations (in the lore world), simply because there hasn't been a strong bonding relationship between an Elf & Dwarf!

Don't get me wrong - I loved the movie, but I hate Peter Jackson for what he's doing with the original story.

P.s. Tolkien nerd alert!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th December 2013 at 10:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks