Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 15:13   #5356
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Agree with you about watching Captain Phillips on big screen. But the thing is if you are already shelling out 350 bucks for watching on a normal screen, how about trying it on 'IMAX' for 400 bucks? Of course if the ticket rates were 600 or something, it would be better to avoid.

My issue with digital IMAX is that the screen is too close to the seats, so it kind of gives me a headache (my experience with PVR IMAX in Bangalore). Also, it costs around Rs 550 here for IMAX, as compared to Rs. 300 for regular. If the price difference is only Rs 50, IMAX might be worth it.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:47   #5357
BHPian

Anyone seen Prisoners yet?

If you are fan of dark crime thrillers its worth every penny and minute spent on this. Gripping story and master screenplay. I don't know since when I have become a sucker for similar story lines (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, Pledge, Silence of the Lambs etc) but this one is dark enough for my liking.

This is the first movie of the Canadian director I watched and I can definitely say he is a damn good story teller. I always felt Gyllenhaal is underrated and Jackman is too overrated. But this is Jackman's moment of truth.

Last edited by Ohh!Oxygen : 18th October 2013 at 15:53. Reason: formatting changes
Old 18th October 2013, 17:02   #5358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Anyone seen Prisoners yet?
I saw the movie and liked it but I think the movie could have been much better. There are some ideas which are not dealt with properly in the movie - cannot reveal any spoilers here but this is what I feel. It is worth watching once nonetheless.
Old 19th October 2013, 05:51   #5359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Well I am not sure about the technical details of what qualifies an IMAX screen or not. But it will be interesting to see if someone can confirm that.
What you have is the digital IMAX system which is basically a retrofit of an old existing theater with a slightly curved screen projector sound system and seating all designed by IMAX.
However the true IMAX which is at Hyderabad I think it's called prasads IMAX is truly an experience to have. You need to really go see a movie on it at least once. That theater was built ground up designed by IMAX long ago. The screen size by itself would be more than 70 feet And the theater dome shaped as he mentioned. So no matter where you sit you can still see well as opposed to you getting a headache with digital IMAX. Digital IMAX would be at best a good normal 3d viewing experience as compared to other 3d theaters.
Old 19th October 2013, 09:53   #5360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
However the true IMAX which is at Hyderabad I think it's called prasads IMAX is truly an experience to have. You need to really go see a movie on it at least once. That theater was built ground up designed by IMAX long ago. The screen size by itself would be more than 70 feet And the theater dome shaped as he mentioned. So no matter where you sit you can still see well as opposed to you getting a headache with digital IMAX.
I might have to disagree - me & my cousin went to watch Gravity at Prasads IMAX and we both landed up with (minor) headaches post the movie. We both felt the screen was up too close (we were on the second row).
Old 19th October 2013, 10:30   #5361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I might have to disagree - me & my cousin went to watch Gravity at Prasads IMAX and we both landed up with (minor) headaches post the movie. We both felt the screen was up too close (we were on the second row).
Well all i can say is I'm surprised.

As far as the headache goes its an interesting question.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with imax and more to do with 3d or maybe it does.

From slashfilm.com

features tips on how to avoid getting a headache during digital 3D movies. And by digital 3D movies, I mean Real D, Dolby 3D or IMAX 3D. You know, the ones with the polarized black lens glasses. It is nearly impossible not to get eye strain from the old stereoscopic red/blue glasses.

Personally, I’ve never had a problem with eye strain and headaches with modern 3D movies, but I know a couple people that do. So how do you avoid it? According to the article, “the problem lies in presenting the viewer with a fairly rich 3D environment, but no opportunity to choose to focus on a part of the scene that was filmed (or rendered) ‘blurred’, i.e. out-of-focus foreground elements such as leaves.” To accentuate the 3D illusion and create a more artful composition, James Cameron sometimes keeps a very limited depth-of-field. So the trick to avoiding a headache when watching a 3D movie, or more specifically Avatar, is to “be obedient, and concentrate on the parts of the shot that the focus tells you are ‘important’.”

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2013 at 16:22. Reason: Typos
Old 19th October 2013, 16:12   #5362
BHPian

Are you sure it was the IMAX screen? They are not playing Gravity on the IMAX screen now. Not sure if it was played before being moved out. Pacific Rim and Elysium are being shown on the IMAX screen now while Gravity is up on the regular screen.
Old 19th October 2013, 18:56   #5363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Well all i can say is i'm surprised.
If it comes to if imax is the ultimate movie experience is a different matter altogether. as far as the headache goes its an interesting question.
perhaps it has nothing to do with imax and more to do with 3d or maybe it does.
Been to more than enough of 3D films out here in Pune & Mumbai - never had headache issues. So doubt if it was to do with 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Are you sure it was the IMAX screen? They are not playing Gravity on the IMAX screen now. Not sure if it was played before being moved out. Pacific Rim and Elysium are being shown on the IMAX screen now while Gravity is up on the regular screen.
Well this was last weekend. When I booked on bookmyshow, the show was stating "Gravity (3D IMAX)". Screen 4 it was. Probably you could tell me if the screen 4 is an IMAX screen or not.
Old 19th October 2013, 20:07   #5364
Senior - BHPian

Saw Gravity in IMAX this evening and I don't understand how someone can give this movie 4.5 stars rating

Storyline and plot has chinks in it; I would rate it only based on the visuals.

3/5
Old 20th October 2013, 12:26   #5365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Well this was last weekend. When I booked on bookmyshow, the show was stating "Gravity (3D IMAX)". Screen 4 it was. Probably you could tell me if the screen 4 is an IMAX screen or not.
Oh, Screen 4 is not the IMAX Screen, it's a regular screen. IMAX screen is numbered 6 at Prasads. While the regular tickets cost 150/-, IMAX ticket is priced at 250/- here. Gravity is still up on screen 4, and I'm not sure why they are not playing it on the IMAX screen. It would have been awesome on the big screen.
Old 20th October 2013, 13:13   #5366
Distinguished - BHPian

Rush
Late to the party but finally managed to get to a cineplex running it.
I now wish I had waited for the DVD.

I mean, yeah, its good and all, but its not GREAT great.
Probably because there's such a dearth of motorsport based movies, and even more of F1 based movies thats it has caused such a ,er, rush, but thats about it.

In trying to balance things, its not able to focus either on the personal aspects of teh drivers properly, nor on the races itself, except for Suzuka, and in a bit, on the ring.

My main gripe, even though it was a gripping watch, was this is not one of Ron howard's top works.

4/5
Old 20th October 2013, 19:25   #5367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Oh, Screen 4 is not the IMAX Screen, it's a regular screen. IMAX screen is numbered 6 at Prasads. While the regular tickets cost 150/-, IMAX ticket is priced at 250/- here. Gravity is still up on screen 4, and I'm not sure why they are not playing it on the IMAX screen. It would have been awesome on the big screen.
+1 to that.
Gravity haven't been put up on IMAX screen, not sure why.
Just hoping they will sometime, as everyone here seems to be rooting for Gravity on IMAX. [-o<
Old 20th October 2013, 20:28   #5368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post

+1 to that.
Gravity haven't been put up on IMAX screen, not sure why.
Just hoping they will sometime, as everyone here seems to be rooting for Gravity on IMAX. [-o<
Which city? Mumbai it is playing at both Imax Wadala and PVR Phoenix Imax 3D.

Hope to catch it this week there. Sadly Pune has no Imax theaters.
Old 20th October 2013, 22:34   #5369
BHPian

I found Gravity pretty ordinary, cliched and damn cheesy at times. Ya CG is top draw, but that alone doesn't just cut it. Europa Report is definitely a better all rounder.
Old 21st October 2013, 01:50   #5370
Senior - BHPian

Ship of Theseus : Downright Pathetic! Not my kind of movie, did'nt know why this movie won awards. I don't understand the purpose of making this kind of movies when they does'nt convey a message or even fail to entertain the audience.

Any reviews on M.I.B 3 and Ghost rider 2?

Last edited by mercedised : 21st October 2013 at 01:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks