Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 08:47   #5281
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched couple of movies over the weekend of different genres :

We are the Millers : Starring Jennifer Anniston, Jason Sudeikis,
Nice adult comedy. Little slow but didnt feel bored. Jennifer Anniston stripper dance is awesome. The story is predicatable but keeps you interested till the end
Rating 4/5

Now you See me : Great thriller, couple of magic sequence were good. The suspense was too predicatable though. Good acting by most of the crew. Morgan Freeman stood out.
Rating 3.5/5

Last edited by athanedar : 26th August 2013 at 08:49.
Old 26th August 2013, 13:00   #5282
Distinguished - BHPian

The longest day.

I'm currently in the process of watching this 3 hour behemoth. And I had to share this. If you're into any kind of war based viewing, this is a must watch. It follows the counter invasion, and the landing at Normandy.
Made in 62, it's in black and white, and captures the moments superbly.
Has to be seen.

Solid 5/5.
Old 27th August 2013, 10:31   #5283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Apparently there is another movie due to be based on Issacson's biography. Hopefully that will deliver.
Sorry if its OT,

Have you guys seen this movie Pirates of the Silicon Valley. I thought it did do some justice to Steve Jobs and they have Bill Gates in it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley
Old 27th August 2013, 12:16   #5284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The longest day.

I'm currently in the process of watching this 3 hour behemoth. And I had to share this. If you're into any kind of war based viewing, this is a must watch. It follows the counter invasion, and the landing at Normandy.
Made in 62, it's in black and white, and captures the moments superbly.
Has to be seen.

Solid 5/5.
Have you seen Band of Brothers (TV series) & Saving Private Ryan? I saw The Longest Day after watching those two and the feeling is quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Have you guys seen this movie Pirates of the Silicon Valley. I thought it did do some justice to Steve Jobs and they have Bill Gates in it as well.
Yeah, saw it when it came out. Then Steve had just re-joined Apple and had accepted investment from Microsoft. At that point, it was like Bill had won. Would be very different to watch it now.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:22   #5285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, saw it when it came out. Then Steve had just re-joined Apple and had accepted investment from Microsoft. At that point, it was like Bill had won. Would be very different to watch it now.
About Pirates of Silicon Valley , a statement always rings in my head
When Jobs(About Macintosh I presume) says that Apple products are better than Microsoft's , Gates responds by saying that It doesn't matter because they released it (windows) first.

a bit of OT, regarding Longest Day , do you follow YIFY ?
Old 27th August 2013, 12:24   #5286
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, saw it when it came out. Then Steve had just re-joined Apple and had accepted investment from Microsoft. At that point, it was like Bill had won.
Bill did win. It was the other Steve who lost (not exactly lost - but yeah pretty close to it).

Anyway, the best line in the movie comes from Gates when Jobs complains to him about stealing his ideas.
Quote:
Get real, would ya? You and I are both like guys who had this rich neighbor - Xerox - who left the door open all the time. And you go sneakin' in to steal a TV set. Only when you get there, you realize that I got there first. I got the loot, Steve! And you're yellin'? "That's not fair. I wanted to try to steal it first." You're too late.

Last edited by carboy : 27th August 2013 at 12:26.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:25   #5287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you seen Band of Brothers (TV series) & Saving Private Ryan? I saw The Longest Day after watching those two and the feeling is quite different.

Yep, I did see all of those. They were quite current, and were a take on what happened.

Whereas with the longest day, youre actually thinking that these actors were the guys who were actually alive at that time.

Some would have even served.

I know, its not that big on showmanship, but quite enjoyable
Old 27th August 2013, 15:46   #5288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yep, I did see all of those.
Mayankk, if you are into war movies may I suggest "Flags of our Fathers" ?, its a Clint Eastwood Movie I saw recently.

Have to watch "Letter from Iwo Jima" its a continuation of the same movie by Clint Eastwood.

I watched some back to back war (older) movies ( or more of war themed) , loved each one of them though
1) Where eagles Dare (Richard button,clint eastwood)
2) Guns of Navaronne ( Gregory Peck & James Niven).
3) The great Escape ( Steve McQueen, Richard Attenborough)
Old 27th August 2013, 16:15   #5289
BANNED

Saw quite a few movies recently

- Arbitrage - Richard Gere - decent enough - 3/5
- Hurt Locker - I don't like war movies in general. Hurt Locker is more like a documentary & it didn't engage me at all. I didn't get the point of the movie -1.5/5
- Descendents - George Clooney - 2.5/5
- Bourne Legacy - What a huge bore - 1/5
- Django Unchained - typical Tarantino movie - beautifully shot, long, wonderful, unnecessary dialogues - 4.5/5.
- The Valet - This is a french movie - was remade in Hindi as 'Do knot disturb' - This is OK, nothing special - I have now seen 4 movies by Francis Veber who made this movie - his 'Dinner Game' is probably my favourite movie of all time, but none of his other movies are outstanding - 2.5/5

Last edited by carboy : 27th August 2013 at 16:16.
Old 27th August 2013, 23:29   #5290
Senior - BHPian

Star Trek Into Darkness
After Oblivion this is the second movie i had liked this year simply for its special effects.
Its better than Oblivion of course. Much much better than the Star Trek.
Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan was excellent. Cant wait to see him as Sherlock again.
Do watch this one if you haven't yet.
Rating -9/10
Old 27th August 2013, 23:41   #5291
BHPian

Olympus has Fallen. Amazing Movie. Amazing Sound. My Onkyo sub gave me blasting effects on this one. Truly recommend for Morgan Freeman and Gerard Butler Fans!
Hear me Spartaannsss.
Rating - 8.5/10.
Old 28th August 2013, 01:21   #5292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Olympus has Fallen. Amazing Movie. Amazing Sound. My Onkyo sub gave me blasting effects on this one. Truly recommend for Morgan Freeman and Gerard Butler Fans!
Hear me Spartaannsss.
Rating - 8.5/10.
Its Gerard Butler all around . He looks trimmed and fit as well.

Did you see 'Chasing Mavericks'?
Old 28th August 2013, 04:26   #5293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Saw quite a few movies recently

- Arbitrage - Richard Gere - decent enough - 3/5
- Hurt Locker - I don't like war movies in general. Hurt Locker is more like a documentary & it didn't engage me at all. I didn't get the point of the movie -1.5/5
- Descendents - George Clooney - 2.5/5
- Bourne Legacy - What a huge bore - 1/5
- Django Unchained - typical Tarantino movie - beautifully shot, long, wonderful, unnecessary dialogues - 4.5/5.
- The Valet - This is a french movie - was remade in Hindi as 'Do knot disturb' - This is OK, nothing special - I have now seen 4 movies by Francis Veber who made this movie - his 'Dinner Game' is probably my favourite movie of all time, but none of his other movies are outstanding - 2.5/5
Do watch "Zero Dark Thirty" if you have not till now. You might enjoy this movie a lot!! PS: it is not exactly a war movie, but a war nonetheless. Some of the audio used in the movie is actual radio communication during the incident.

Last edited by govigov : 28th August 2013 at 04:28.
Old 28th August 2013, 11:00   #5294
BHPian

Watched Oblivion, a couple of nights back and man!! What a movie!!

Definitely one of the better science fiction movies with brilliant effects and the sound when you watch it in 1080p!

This one gets my vote. I wonder why it tanked! I, for one, loved it.
Old 28th August 2013, 14:56   #5295
Senior - BHPian

Pain and Gain

Three body builders (Mark Walhberg and Dwayne Johnson , forgot the name of the third chap) try to kidnap a rich member of their gym, and make him give away all his wealth away to them. Based on a real story, and most of the depiction is as it actually happened, apparently. Nice one time watch.

Rating : 3/5.

Jack Reacher

Good action thriller. Tom Cruise carries out the part of Jack Reacher well. Rest of the cast is okay. I havent yet read any of the books in the Jack Reacher series, but I liked the first half with its twists and turns in the story. The rest is watchable too.

Rating : 3.5/5.

I also finally managed to see Despicable Me 2 , am I glad that a movie only the Minions is coming up !

Has anyone seen Disney's Planes ? The newspapers didnt like it much, apparently. But then , they like Chennai Express too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks