Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 20:34   #5176
Senior - BHPian

Movie:- "Now you see me"

I loved it!

Amazing magic tricks and their picturisation. It's a director's movie. Too many characters, so cant really say which actor stands out most. But Raffalo (Hulk) and Jesse (Social Network) have done a great job.

Definition of a roller coaster ride. Lots of twists and shocks throughout. Biggest shock would be the biggest spoiler, so...

Mr. Caine and Freeman are their usual best, especially Freeman sir.

Honestly, I have to watch the movie at least once more to grasp everything thrown at us.

Rating: 8->9/10
Old 11th June 2013, 09:26   #5177
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Now You See Me - 3.5/5

Excellent cast, with amazing performances. The magic tricks are done exceedingly well, however the storyline weaves in and out with quite a few gaps, which are then haphazardly explained in the end in a botched-up method. Surprisingly Caine & Freeman are the least relevant characters and the others at times overshadow them.

Not exactly the class of The Illusionist or The Prestige, but definitely worth a watch atleast for the delightful cast.
Old 15th June 2013, 00:44   #5178
Distinguished - BHPian

Man of steel

Good in parts, but,you can see the difference of Nolan not being the director.
For me, superman returns is much better.
Thing is, batman was already a dark character, so the dark treatment suited him. Not so here.
The action is too hurried, it doesn't involve the viewer, and it's trying too hard to be dark.

Watch it to quench your anticipation, but don't expect to be satisfied. But still, catch it in the theatre for the grandiose destruction.
3/5
Old 15th June 2013, 17:44   #5179
Senior - BHPian

Man Of Steel - summary in one word = Disappointed

I mean they could have done so much with the story they had but its just a drag in first half and mindless action in second,
Acting is ordinary and there is no emotional connect. Seems like actors are reading lines than acting it.
In fact my friend was yawning in the first half with such a slow pace.

For me iron man 3 was much better with its fast pace and cheesy lines.
The only thing i liked about movie was the graphics which in some scenes were great.

Rating- 2.5/5
Old 15th June 2013, 21:40   #5180
BHPian

Caught 2 movies in two weeks.

Man of steel - Same reaction - Disappointed.

Too much action from starting to end. No emotional connect with the movie. 3D was good though. My ears were still ringing even after I came out of the movie hall. Thought at one point the movie has finally ended, then realized that still another 30 mins of movie left.
Action was also too much, with everything from cars to space crafts () being deployed.

Rating - 2 / 5

Life of Pi - Another average movie.

Watched blue ray print. Didn't get the emotional connect again. Few scenes were amazing to see. Still something is missing in that movie.

Rating - 2 / 5
Old 16th June 2013, 20:34   #5181
Senior - BHPian

As Clark Kent appeared as Superman in Man of Steel, I felt something was wrong with his outfit. Later it struck me. I'm just wondering whether I should reveal it here.
Old 16th June 2013, 21:48   #5182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
As Clark Kent appeared as Superman in Man of Steel, I felt something was wrong with his outfit. Later it struck me. I'm just wondering whether I should reveal it here.
If it is something to do with his tights,it may be an attempt to reduce royalty payouts to the descendants of the guys who dreamed up superman in 1932. I had read an article they gained the partial ownership to certain charecteristics and not others. I may be totally wrong though
Old 17th June 2013, 00:21   #5183
Senior - BHPian

Man of steel - I actually loved the movie. Nice way to kick off, Superman franchise. It reminded me of the Nolan's first Batman movie, Batman Begins.

FF6 - Too much action, are they trying to make the characters look like super heros. One time watch, and if you like action over common sense, will love it.
Old 17th June 2013, 01:10   #5184
Team-BHP Support

Watched man of Steel. Such a big waste of money.
What a useless movie.
Somehow hollywood has forgotten originality. Superman is not hulk. Superman is not Batman. Superman is Superman. And not every hero has to be badmanized.
This is worse than what smallville became in the later seasons.
Old 17th June 2013, 07:51   #5185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I think it's pretty obvious what changed. At last, he did get something straight.

The movie was fantastic at parts. The images and the CGI scenes were spectacular! and mind you spectacular is just an understatement. One has to see the sense of speed..It's blur with more sonic booms that can be counted. It's just super cool.

But an overdose of such effects can be an overkill and that's exactly what's wrong with this movie. All that endless destruction in the end gave me an headache and made me carving for a coffee to get my senses straight. It was soo chaotic that at times, I just couldn't stand it.

Alas, this movie had the creative talent, spectacular visual appeal and all the right ingredients that a perfect movie has. Without the overdose of mindless drama and all that stupid explosions, I bet they could have done it here.

Rating: 3/5
Old 18th June 2013, 15:09   #5186
Distinguished - BHPian

Napola/ Before the fall

Set in the middle of the second world war timeline, this one is quite off the usual path taken by ww2 flicks, in that it's only about the Hitler elite. No mention of the holocaust, or depiction of the war.

A young boxer gets recruited to the elite school, scheduled to become SS or Wehrmacht, and it shows his year at the school as he slowly changes.
It is a really well executed piece, but not for those expecting an inglorious b's.
I'll give it a solid 5/5
Old 20th June 2013, 03:12   #5187
Senior - BHPian

Man of steel:

Direction is not that great, the first half was dragging and the second half had a lot of action. At one point I thought the movie ended, only to realize that there were some more mindless action left. But, all these action series though stupid were superbly shot and some of the scenes are super awesome. The story is not inline with a superman story and the ending left a let to be desired. The superb visuals and the music by Hans Zimmer are the high points. The sketchy story and the dragging first half, the hurried action in the second half the low.

I would give this movie a 3/5, If you are watching please do watch in 3D for the visuals.
Old 20th June 2013, 03:46   #5188
BHPian

Mostly agree with all posters about Man of Steel.

For me the love connection between Clark and Lois didn't work at all. I didn't realize when they fell in love .

Now looking forward to World War Z.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:32   #5189
Distinguished - BHPian

World War Z : 4.5/5

Excellent, fast paced script right from the word go. A very interesting take on the problem of the zombies, with a lot of hints to the past about how the problem originated. One could hope to expect a prequel to this movie too!

Brad Pitt steals the show completely, with hardly any meaty role for any of the others. And he doesn't let you down at all.

Definitely worth a watch.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:35   #5190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
World War Z : 4.5/5

Excellent, fast paced script right from the word go. A very interesting take on the problem of the zombies, with a lot of hints to the past about how the problem originated. One could hope to expect a prequel to this movie too!

Brad Pitt steals the show completely, with hardly any meaty role for any of the others. And he doesn't let you down at all.

Definitely worth a watch.
Thank you!!

But, hey, it's 930 in the morn on Friday. Where and how did you catch it??

Most Viewed