Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 16:20   #4426
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched "Honey I shrunk the kids" on TV recently after almost 2 decades!! Had watched it back when I was kid on VCP at home with all the neighborhood friends. Brought back all the lovely memories of my childhood when we would rent a video cassette every weekend to watch on our Akai VCP.

4.5/5

Being a dog lover, one of my all time favorites is "Hachiko: A Dog's Story". I had never heard of the movie until I picked it up from a local DVD store. Thought I would like it anyways as it a dog movie.

What I dint realize however was how immensely appealing and heartwarming the movie actually is! It is based on a true story about the extraordinary love and devotion of a dog for companion (Richard Gere). I am sure even the most hard-hearted person would spill some saltwater while watching it. A must watch for all dog lovers and others too.

4.5/5
Old 24th January 2012, 08:53   #4427
J.Ravi

I watched The Pledge last night in DVD. Excellent movie co-produced and directed by Sean Penn. Jack Nicholson, an ex-cop, goes in search of a serial juvenile killer to keep his promise given to a victim's mom. Jack Nicholson dominates from the first to the last frame of the film.

Old 24th January 2012, 16:55   #4428
Senior - BHPian

Watched Morning Glory. Its Ok, one time match. Neither Rachel McAdams nor Harrison Ford could save the movie.
Old 24th January 2012, 18:18   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If you can get, then watch Europa Europa (not the Lars von Trier film Europa). It is about a jew boy who hides his identity to survive (first amongst russians and then amongst nazis). One hell of a movie. I saw it long back when I was in Germany (I think it is a german film). One of the best WW2 movies I have seen.

Others in recommended list are The Pianist (its also on similar lines as Europa Europa). The downfall (Der Untergang) is another film that is based on last 12 hours of Hitler's life I think. Then there is Das Boot that is a great one (but its quite long). Another great german war film is Rosenthal's Triumph of the Will (its a Nazi propaganda film). Chaplin's The Dictator is also a must see. The last two are B/W films.

Lest I forget, The Reader! An amazing film, simply gotta see it. But most of these are slow dramas. If you want action, you got Hollywood

One of the best in recent times - The Black Book.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 18:41   #4430
BHPian

Saw "Love and Other Drugs" over the weekend. Good watch with quite a good amount of nudity. Don't watch with kids, wifey is OK.

Also saw this movie - "How to Lose Friends & Alienate People" Good fun and one could quite relate as well.

Last edited by longford : 24th January 2012 at 18:43. Reason: more input
Old 25th January 2012, 15:39   #4431
BHPian

Watched Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn Part 1. Possibly the best from Twilight Franchise after the first movie. Kirsten Stewart had less to say, thankfully
2/5
Old 25th January 2012, 15:50   #4432
Senior - BHPian

Watched a few recently:
Transsiberian - Its a Ben Kingsley film (others I dont recognise). Its quite gripping thriller and the cinematography is just surreal! Journey of a few people thru Siberian peninsula in a train. Worth a watch 4/5.

Legion - Utter trash. Avoid, or at best, just a one time watch. The story simply is religion meets Terminator!!! A good angel comes to earth to save a yet to be born baby while a bad one comes to kill him! - 0/5

Alexander- A 3 and a half hour long biopic on Alexander the Great's relationship with his father, mother and his friends. Angelina Jolie I think was wasted. Colin Farrell is the worst choice for the great general's role. Movie is worth a watch though, for its story. 3/5

Johnny English Reborn - Am a big big Mr. Bean fan so can never get enough of him. Liked the movie a lot. Rowan is simply too good. Others might disagree but I can never find faults in him or his movies!!! 5/5!

For continuation I watch Johnny English again. The 1st one was definitely better. But then, for me, so was the second one as well.
Old 26th January 2012, 09:23   #4433
BHPian

Watched couple of movies recently:

Margin Call - Lovely script and gripping movie. Shot mostly indoors but the script is superb.
My take - 3/5

The Help - One of the best movies of the year. A gripping drama.
My take - 4/5

Last edited by C300 : 26th January 2012 at 09:23. Reason: Formatting
Old 26th January 2012, 19:55   #4434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
My take - 4/5
indeed. watching it as i write. makes you wonder about life that we take for granted.
Old 26th January 2012, 20:04   #4435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
My take - 4/5
I would like to give a 5/5 for this movie. It is similar to reading a book and story is good.
Old 26th January 2012, 20:52   #4436
BHPian

Watched The Debt , a gripping movie I must say. The characters played are real but the movie is fictionalised. A must watch
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:17   #4437
Senior - BHPian

Saw Eclipse last saturday under persistence of my wife. Utter waste of time for whatever its length was. If its straight away adapted from the book, I really dont understand how it even became a best seller? Absolutely bad story and crap performance by the actors.
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:23   #4438
BHPian

Watched quite a few movies last week.

1. Money-ball : Movie about first adoption of scientific selection process in baseball team formation. The movie is based on a true story. Brad Pitt as usual is good. 3/5
2. The Greatest game ever played : Again based on a real story although this one is on Golf. The actor Stephen Dillane in this movie looks so similar to Omar abdullah, or is it just me . 3.5/5
3. Pi : More of an art movie which has won many accolades. Its dark, in monochrome and typically open ended. 3 /5

And yeah finally watched 'The Illusionist' after many recommendations here. Its a very good movie but I am sold on Chris Nolan so would rate 'The Prestige' higher.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:22   #4439
Senior - BHPian

The Big Year

Not bad as much as i had thought. Its quite entertaining. Its a race to win the Big Year and what you lose in process.

Jack Black and Owen Wilson are pick of the lot. Steve Martin is strictly ok. Rosamund Pike looks stunning and beautiful. The birds shown are beautiful too. Some very rare species and the locations are superb too.

A family oriented movie with a healthy dosage of funny moments its a decent one time watch.

3.5/5
Old 3rd February 2012, 06:24   #4440
BHPian

Watched ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ over the weekend. Beautifully shot spy film. Gary Oldman was terrific. The story is based on a Russian Mole in British Intelligent Services during cold wars.

My only gripe - With no subtitles in the movie theatre, it was a bit of a challenge to decipher the heavy British accent.

My Take – 4/5
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed