Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 11:52   #4561
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Thor 2011. Rating; 3/5.

Story isnt complex and I like the way science is linked to magic Oh, love the hammer! Natalie looks good as usual. Chris looks good for Thor too. Good casting.

The Help. Rating 4/5

Was touched. Should be on one's should watch list.
Old 15th March 2012, 12:31   #4562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
not sure but i think Shawshank redemption and Green mile are his works.

EDIT: wiki says they are...
Shawshank I didn't know!

Staying on this topic, years and years ago, I watched a movie called Graveyard Shift (on VHS). That's the kind of movie I'm talking about and asking recommendations for.

Anyways, I don't think there is a big audience for this kind of movies.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:31   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Watched a Bunch of Movies recently

The Punisher

This is a 2004 movie based on a comics character of same name. Its about an under cover FBI agent(Thomas Jane) whose family is killed by a Mafia Boss(John Travolta). He survives the attack & hatches a plan to destroy everything close to the Mafia Boss. While the storyline is pretty routine the overall direction & performances make you sit & watch the entire movie. A Good one time watch

3.5/5

Flawless

Watched this move after reading about it on this thread

Nice movie, the movie is set in 1960s & is about a Diamond heist planned by an Women executive(Demi Moore) & a Janitor(Michael Caine), bothe of them have personal/professional issues with the diamond company. Any more & I would have ruined the suspense for you

3/5

Antitrust

This movie is abouta Software Moghul who is keen on have Monopolistic activies & they have given ample hints that the character is loosely based on Bill Gates . This is a 2001 movie & you have to keep that in mind while watching it as only then you will realize how advanced the campus is shown with flat panel monitors etcs. A Good watch as it gives some insight on how IT corporate giants might have worked in those days.

3/5

Trespass

This is a movie about a Diamond merchant & his family which are held for ransom by a group of thugs in his own house. Its about how they survive the ordeal. The cast is what makes this movie watchable (Nicolas Cage & Nicole Kidman) plus some nice direction.

2.5/5

Kick-A$$

This is one movie I am not sure why we didn't hear about in 2010. Here is the description from Netflix
"Inspired by his love of comic books, high school student Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) decides to transform himself into a masked crime fighter -- a decision that eventually thrusts the teenager into Internet stardom. Soon, Dave's antics inspire a wave of would-be heroes to don costumes and live out their superhero fantasies. Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Chloe Moretz also star in this comic book adaptation from director Matthew Vaughn."

A must watch

4/5
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:42   #4564
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Kick-A$$

This is one movie I am not sure why we didn't hear about in 2010. Here is the description from Netflix
"Inspired by his love of comic books, high school student Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) decides to transform himself into a masked crime fighter -- a decision that eventually thrusts the teenager into Internet stardom. Soon, Dave's antics inspire a wave of would-be heroes to don costumes and live out their superhero fantasies. Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Chloe Moretz also star in this comic book adaptation from director Matthew Vaughn."

A must watch

4/5
This movie was a surprise for me & very pleasant one. I had never heard of KickAss comics & I had never heard of the movie either. If I had known the story of this movie, I would have never watched it. But it was on on TV few months back & I started watching it & I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I don't like superhero movies all that much, but HitGirl is my favourite superhero now.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:58   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This movie was a surprise for me & very pleasant one. I had never heard of KickAss comics & I had never heard of the movie either. If I had known the story of this movie, I would have never watched it. But it was on on TV few months back & I started watching it & I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I don't like superhero movies all that much, but HitGirl is my favourite superhero now.
The little girl in Kickass was awesome and the movie is very good too!!
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:12   #4566
BHPian

Watched a few movies over the past 2 weeks :
John Carter : Based on Edgar Rice Burrough's novel 'Princess of Mars' . This is Andrew Stanton's( Finding Nemo, Wall-E ) first live action movie so I went with some high expectations. The movie was good but the story seems a bit dated now ( the book is more than 100 years old ). I thought it was a good adaptation of the book although my friend's didn't like it that much.

Hugo : Martin Scorcesse's first 3D movie and probably his first kids movie. The movie has some great visuals and the acting by both the kids was very good (Chole Moretz from Kickass plays one of the kids ). The movie is a bit slow and people might get bored but the 3D was very good and this was one of the best use of 3D that I have seen in movies.

Last edited by Newpunter : 23rd March 2012 at 00:14.
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:10   #4567
BHPian

Quote:

Antitrust

This movie is abouta Software Moghul who is keen on have Monopolistic activies & they have given ample hints that the character is loosely based on Bill Gates . This is a 2001 movie & you have to keep that in mind while watching it as only then you will realize how advanced the campus is shown with flat panel monitors etcs. A Good watch as it gives some insight on how IT corporate giants might have worked in those days.

3/5
Its a nice movie and worth a watch. I watched it during my college days.
Even the actor playing that Mogul role resembles Bill Gates
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:21   #4568
BANNED

Quote:
Antitrust

Actually, Microsoft in their Redmond campus never replaced all their CRTs with Flat panels. It was a very slow process. The accounts guys did a calculation on the amount of electricity saved by flat panel monitors and figured out that at 2001-2002 prices, it makes no financial sense to replace all CRTs with Flat panels. So what happened was that all new monitors which were purchased were Flats. But old CRTs continued to be used to till for quite some time.

Anyway, haven't seen Antitrust but a good movie about Microsoft, Apple etc is "Pirates of the Silicon Valley".

The best scene in the movie is when Steve Jobs confronts Bill Gates about stealing Apple's UI. Bill Gates retorts that they both stole the UI from Xerox, so Jobs has nothing to complain about.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:41   #4569
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a few over the llast few days, heres the good stuff:

1. Limitless - Already covered here 4/5
The constant pill-popping-to-get-out-of-jail-free was a bit annoying
2. The Eagle: Set in the romans' visit to britain, and a centurion's quest to find the standard carried by his father, another centurion to bring honor back
This movie is really good.
Sort of like gladiator, but less grand in story, settings, and cast, but quite good.
5/5

Justice league - Doom: Yowza!!!
This is FANTASTIC!
we're dealing with the JLA being attacked with personalized weapons, made specifically for each of them.
Youll also see Cyborg's (from the teen titans) induction into the JLA.
Awesome hour and 20 minutes!!
6/5....:D
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:23   #4570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Anyway, haven't seen Antitrust but a good movie about Microsoft, Apple etc is "Pirates of the Silicon Valley".
Pirates of Silicon Valley is totally . It is one of the best documentaries I've seen. I think it was written by Steve Woznik who was No 2 to Jobs at apple and was their technical brain. The way they have shown Bill Gates as a cunning, fox-like and Jobs as the more charismatic wonderboy is just too good. Its a must watch film.

Last edited by joslicx : 23rd March 2012 at 15:26.
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:28   #4571
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Pirates of Silicon Valley is totally . It is one of the best documentaries I've seen. I think it was written by Steve Woznik who was No 2 to Jobs at apple and was their technical brain. The way they have shown Bill Gates as a cunning, fox-like and Jobs as the more charismatic wonderboy is just too good. Its a must watch film.
It wasn't a documentary and it wasn't written by Woz. May be you are referring to "Triumph of the Nerds" - that was a documentary, but it was written by Cringely not Woz. It does feature Woz's interviews.
Old 24th March 2012, 03:37   #4572
BHPian

If this movie hasn't been mentioned already on this thread, and if you haven't seen it yet, I'd highly recommend you watch the movie "The World's Fastest Indian".

It is an awesome movie on bike nut Burt Munro (New Zealander) who in 1967 modified and drove himself his 1920 Indian motocycle to achieve the land speed world record at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats.

Such a fabulous movie. The scene when the self taught mechanic Burt runs his home modified Indian in his first trials on the Salt Flats to leave snickering/unbelieving critics behind in the dust, and the scene when he discovers nuances of high-speed aerodynamics are pure gold.

The movie was released circa 2005. A don't miss for all those who are passionate about things that move. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2005_the_worlds_fastest_indian_010.jpg  

Old 24th March 2012, 04:15   #4573
Senior - BHPian

Yep that's a fantastic movie & yes it have been reviewed a couple of times before
Old 24th March 2012, 11:58   #4574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched " Death at a Funeral" the Brit Version.
3.5/5
Has anyone watched the remake 2010 "All black cast" version of Death at a Funeral ?
Looks like the story is identical to the British original.
Old 24th March 2012, 16:05   #4575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Has anyone watched the remake 2010 "All black cast" version of Death at a Funeral ?
Looks like the story is identical to the British original.
I have watched both. I would rate the original as 4/5 & the remake as 1/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks