Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 23:11   #4591
BANNED

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post

2. You Don't Mess with the Zohan : A bad movie, somewhat on the lines of Borat. But Borat was genuinely funny on most counts.
2/5
The first time I watched this movie I gave it a 2/5, but after repeat watchings, this increased to 3/5. The movie is funny in parts.
Old 15th April 2012, 23:38   #4592
Senior - BHPian

Watched Battleship last night and here's the breakup:
- acting skills = 1/5 (except Liam Neeson); loads of overacting
- storyline = 2/5 (America saves the world - again)
- technology and effects = 5/5 (loved the alien attack craft and USS Missouri - reminded me of Under Siege)

Overall I'd give it 3/5 (if you're a weapons/ technology buff) for the entertainment factor.

I had fun; my wife, not so much
Old 16th April 2012, 20:48   #4593
Senior - BHPian

American Reunion

American Pie series is back!. Its banging return to big screen after a hiatus.

In a nutshell, its one of the good rib tickling movies of the year if you have taste for adult humor. great believable storyline, character development and awesome fun just like the first part. Obviously, you can't expect a new storyline or something gripping, but overall its so much fun, you forget everything else.

The 5 guys and their life is entirely believable. Stiefler and Jim's Dad is pick of the lot.

Warning: Load of adult graphics. Not advisable to see with families.

Advice: Wait till the end of credits. Will bring a nice surprise and the whole house down.

You can't go wrong with this one.

5/5. Yes i am an American Pie Fan.

Last edited by chevelle : 16th April 2012 at 20:49.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:09   #4594
BHPian

^^^ Stifler rocks!!!

Should I feel embarassed when I am now in mid-thirties and I am an American Pie fan? I don't care

Except Hole in One, I enjoyed the remaining films over the years. Each movie is a one time 100% fun and nothing else movie.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:22   #4595
BHPian

Just watched the first two episodes of Long Way Down (actually sequel to Long Way Round)

Interesting watch; good humour.

Its simply amazing what these two guys were able to do! Be on the road, loving what they did and doing what they love. Riding Bikes!

But I loved Long Way Round better than part 2!
Old 17th April 2012, 21:23   #4596
BHPian

I saw Battleship on Sunday evening. Not bad as the reviews put it, but you are left wondering as to why the movie made the aliens look stupid in some ways - their ship's turrets don't move much and they apparently fell for an old trick from Art of War , so they didn't read Art of War or their planet's equivalent ? Also the assumption/wild guess that because their eyes are like a salamander's , they can't stand sunlight just like a salamander :-s
Brooklyn Decker may not be much of an actress, but I'd have loved to more of her in the movie ! There's Rihanna too, but none of the roles have much substance and the dialogues are like they just had to write something, so they wrote something.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:00   #4597
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recently become a huge Scott adkins fan
Boyka?
Went through Undisputed 2 and 3.

Yesterday wiped off "Assassination Games".

Adkins with Van damme.

Plot revolves around 2 assassins, going after one target, one on contract, and one on a personal vendetta(Adkins).

Not so much hand to hand as he did as Boyka, but the movie does show that Adkins can act a bit too.
Do see.
For me, 4/5.

PS:now he's going to be the expendables 2, so that is going to be the movie to watch!!
Old 25th April 2012, 19:42   #4598
BHPian

Saw "Seeking Justice" last weekend. Was supposed to be a thriller but ended up like any other Nicholas Cage movies these days. They have promising start and slowly start loosing steam and with most disappointing endings.
2.5/5 rating for me.
Would i recommend it- yes, but for Guy Pearce, who is mind blowing. And plot, not well executed though.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:59   #4599
Senior - BHPian

Haywire

I had high expectations from the movie. What with big names(E. McGregor, M. Douglas, A. Banderas, C. Tatum, S. Soderbergh), good trailer, expected action. But somehow it felt short of my expectations. I had expected a decent thriller along lines of Bourne series. But all i got is poor screenplay, poor story, poor music, poor character development. The big name characters have very less screen time. Wonder why they agreed to film this.

The lead character Gina can't act but looks ok. Her cold, hard act reminds me of Jason Bourne. There are too many loopholes in story. The action is nothing new. Been there done that kinda thing. Even if you give it a miss, its ok. You won't miss much. Rather watch Salt or Bourne series again.

2/5
Old 25th April 2012, 21:05   #4600
Senior - BHPian

Saw this old movie last week

Our Bollywood film, Jism (Bips one) was totally a scene-by-scene rip-off of this! Only thing better in the copy were the songs and of course Bips.

Body Heat is also recommended as well. Pretty well made slow-moving thriller (You'd like it if you have not seen Jism)
Old 25th April 2012, 21:18   #4601
Senior - BHPian

watched three movies over the weekend after a long time

1. Contraband, Its a one time watch. They even don't make good movies now.

2. Texas Killing Fields, Old movie, never watched, heard a lot about it so gave it a try and question came to my mind "What is the purpose". What a useless plot.

3. Man on the Ledge. There were negative review. But habit of all the things that i do opposite of what people say, Gave it a try. And what a movie. Its a good movie. Give it a try. Slow paced but kinda movie you don't wanna get up even to pee.
Old 25th April 2012, 21:43   #4602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
1. Contraband, Its a one time watch. They even don't make good movies now.

3. Man on the Ledge. There were negative review. But habit of all the things that i do opposite of what people say, Gave it a try. And what a movie. Its a good movie. Give it a try. Slow paced but kinda movie you don't wanna get up even to pee.
God, Contraband - what a pathetic movie. Started off quite well but didn't go anywhere after that. Hated the movie.
1/5

Wanted to watch Man on a Ledge - and after your review, will surely watch it. I like slow paced movies.

Last edited by naveenroy : 25th April 2012 at 21:44. Reason: incorrect title for movie
Old 29th April 2012, 18:27   #4603
BHPian

Watched "The Avengers" in 2D. The movie is simply amazing. Marvel has really pulled it off. Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are the hightlights of the movie.

4.5/5
Old 29th April 2012, 20:26   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Saw "Seeking Justice" last weekend. Was supposed to be a thriller but ended up like any other Nicholas Cage movies these days. They have promising start and slowly start loosing steam and with most disappointing endings.
2.5/5 rating for me.
Would i recommend it- yes, but for Guy Pearce, who is mind blowing. And plot, not well executed though.
Exactly my thoughts.
Watched it recently after high rating seen on this thread. Its an average movie, nothing exceptional.
Old 29th April 2012, 21:20   #4605
Senior - BHPian

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - 4 star rating - Very gripping and superb acting by the lead actress (Rooney Mara).

Immortals (2011) - 3.5 star - Very well edited, greek gods action film in the mold of 300 though not as good. Best part was a view of Frieda Pinto's...

War Horse (2011) - 3 Star Rating - Well made though a tad pretentious. Only animal lovers will like it (like me).

The Grey (2012) - 3.5 Star - A dark grey movie. Liam Neeson is fantastic as always. Animal Lovers won't like this movie... lolz. Who would like a Wolf tearing your throat apart?

Sherlock Holmes - A game of shadows (2011) - 3 Star Rating - Nicely edited but again quite pretentious. Predictable too, I would say which should never happen to a Sherlock Holmes movie but then when you have read all the books, what can the director do?

Adventures of Tintin (2011) - BD Rip - Is a must have for all Tintin lovers like me. 5 star rating. Awaiting the sequel...

Mission Impossible 4 Ghost protocol (2011) - BD Rip - Again a must have for your library - 3 star rating because Tom Cruise's age shows through but still some breathtaking sequences nonetheless.

Now that's one lazy weekend viewing...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks