Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 22:24   #5041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
FLIGHT

Starts Denzel Washington, and it starts with a controlled commercial aircraft crash in which Washington prevents major loss of life by some inspired flying.
The movie then deals with the subsequent investigation of the event, and apportionment of blame.
What is the movie about?
Alcoholism...

Yeah, its more about the pilot coming to terms with his problem, and his lying because of it.

Its very well executed, but only for mature audiences, mostly because of the topic, and a little bit of R rated stuff.

Should watch this

3.5/5
+1 to that. But what i don really understand is that girl coming into his life. A character wasted.
Old 8th March 2013, 22:34   #5042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post

+1 to that. But what i don really understand is that girl coming into his life. A character wasted.
Yeah, especially when she's Watsons wife.

She does come back in the end, so that went well. It's a powerful flick, but a bit heavy for a weekend watch, no?
Old 8th March 2013, 23:24   #5043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Yeah, especially when she's Watsons wife.

She does come back in the end, so that went well. It's a powerful flick, but a bit heavy for a weekend watch, no?
Yeah.. its mind altering like the procedures shown in the movie. On a lighter note, its a must watch for people who think they can drink and drive normally about how things may go wrong.
Old 9th March 2013, 09:14   #5044
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
its a must watch for people who think they can drink and drive normally about how things may go wrong.
In this case, its exactly the opposite. The cocaine made him pro-active and made him save so many lives. All normal people failed to land that plane without killing everyone aboard in various simulations of the crash. So, in as much, the movie is conveying a paradox.

Last edited by dkaile : 9th March 2013 at 09:17.
Old 9th March 2013, 10:28   #5045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
In this case, its exactly the opposite. The cocaine made him pro-active and made him save so many lives. All normal people failed to land that plane without killing everyone aboard in various simulations of the crash. So, in as much, the movie is conveying a paradox.
I completely agree to that. But i was in the thought that if such an expert pilot could do so well in landing a plane in the influence of mind altering substances and vodka, he could have done better without any of these influences. Its best left to the director to resolve the paradox.
All in all a must watch movie. Not once but twice. It also highlights that running away from the truth is not permanent. Some day we will be caught in the reality, no matter in what way we try to hide under the shadow of lies.
Old 11th March 2013, 15:01   #5046
Senior - BHPian

Watched 2 movies this weekend, after coming back from the B'lore BHP meet.

1. Life of Pi
2. Homecoming
3. Silver Linings Playbook (fell asleep).

Life of Pi - A very simple story telling. Only highlight of the movie - The superb 3D Effects that the audience would have enjoyed in the theatre. Since I watched on my 42 LED (non 3D), it was simply huge and beautiful. Badly wished it was a 3D TV. The interaction between Pi and Richard Parker kept me on the edge of the sofa for most of the movie !! Apart from that, there was nothing exciting about the movie.

Homecoming - A crime thriller. About a girl who rescues (later kidnaps) her ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend, when she gets hit by this girl in a drunker driving night. An average movie, average story.

Silver Linings Playbook - Fell asleep with the slow start. Later wifey said that it wasn't mind kind of movie. Will see it sometime this week.

I haven't rated any of the movies. Don't think any of them fall in the "must watch" category.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:28   #5047
BHPian

Watched "The Impossible" this weekend, was searching through the thread and surprisingly couldn't find any post on it.

The movie is about the survival of an American tourist family vacationing in Thailand while 2004 tsunami strikes. The tsunami scenes has been shot beautifully and create decent impact on viewers. The high points of the movie are however the later parts when the husband & wife get separated & try to survive in prevailing uncertainty and the family's struggle to find each other. The depiction is very touching without being melodramatic.

The actors look good mostly, especially the elder son (teenager played by Tom Holland). Naomi Watts got best actress Oscar nomination for her role.

Good watch: 4/5.
Old 12th March 2013, 11:20   #5048
Senior - BHPian

Watched Argo over the weekend. Some bits are slow paced but edge of the seat moments will keep you glued to the screen.

Rating - 3/5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Silver Linings Playbook (fell asleep).

Silver Linings Playbook - Fell asleep with the slow start. Later wifey said that it wasn't mind kind of movie. Will see it sometime this week.
I managed to stay awake and watched the entire movie.

IMHO, it was very boring, extremely slow paced and i was cursing myself for wasting my time watching this movie.

My rating - 1/5.
Old 12th March 2013, 20:23   #5049
Senior - BHPian

Watched Life of Pi.

Honestly, I am not sure what the big deal was all about. Yes, it was visually stunning but boy, am I glad I didn't pay 500 bucks to watch it in a theater!

2/5
Old 12th March 2013, 21:02   #5050
BHPian

Re: Most awaited movies of 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
the following are some of the most awaited movies to release in summer of 2013:

After Earth (starring Will & Jaden Smith)
World War Z (starring Brad Pitt)
Oblivion (starring Tom Cruise)
Hangover 3
Lone Ranger (starring Johnny Depp)
300: Rise of an Empire
Pacific Rim

Happy viewing!
Just watched the trailer for Hangover 3 and just cant wait for it to hit the big screen

-Sajan
Old 12th March 2013, 21:59   #5051
BHPian

Watched Cloud Atlas and loved the movie and recommended the same to my friends and my parents and they all hated it. Many found the movie to be quite confusing and made no sense.

3/5
Old 13th March 2013, 15:34   #5052
BHPian

My favorite includes the following:

1. Transporter Series
2. Italian job
3. Gone in 60 seconds
4. Fast and Furious series
5. Bullit
6. Ronin
7. Days of Thunder
8. The driver.
Old 13th March 2013, 19:54   #5053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikz View Post
My favorite includes the following:

1. Transporter Series
2. Italian job
3. Gone in 60 seconds
4. Fast and Furious series
5. Bullit
6. Ronin
7. Days of Thunder
8. The driver.
Nikz, just a few days back, the entire Transporter series was aired on Sony Pix for an entire day; just it nothing else(you must be knowing about this).
I don't remember the last time when I watched TV for so long. It was just a treat to the eyes, just couldn't get enough of the A8 being driven to its limit
And the F&F series will always be my favourite Hollywood movie series.

-Bhargav
Old 14th March 2013, 11:44   #5054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Nikz, just a few days back, the entire Transporter series was aired on Sony Pix for an entire day; just it nothing else(you must be knowing about this).
I don't remember the last time when I watched TV for so long. It was just a treat to the eyes, just couldn't get enough of the A8 being driven to its limit
And the F&F series will always be my favourite Hollywood movie series.

-Bhargav

Bhargav,

Transporter series and F&F series is a treat to the eyes no matter how many times you watch it. The life and looks of Jason Statham as transporter will create envy even to the most descent gentleman. I recently had a chance to watch the Blu ray print of Transporter 2. It was an amazing experience.

Nikz.
Old 14th March 2013, 13:22   #5055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikz View Post
Bhargav,

Transporter series and F&F series is a treat to the eyes no matter how many times you watch it. The life and looks of Jason Statham as transporter will create envy even to the most descent gentleman. I recently had a chance to watch the Blu ray print of Transporter 2. It was an amazing experience.

Nikz.
When I first saw the Transporter Series(Sony Pix), I didn't expect much of the new bloke. I thought he can't replace the charm and personality of Statham but he proved me wrong.
Boy he has some style too and Action scenes are also superb!
BUT, the "no-smile no-laugh" attitude of Statham is what steals the show.
I remember many dialouges of the Transporter(Jason Statham) but this one's my favourite from the 3rd part.
In the start of the movie, the goon holds Statham's coat and says "You have 10 seconds to change your mind"
Statham says "I give you 5 seconds to remove your hand"
After exactly 5 seconds its just mayhem

-Bhargav

Most Viewed