Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 22:45   #4966
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Anyone seen "Life of Pi" on IMAX? Is it worth, as have to drive all the way to PVR for that.

The cinemas close to me are the Cinemax on ORR ,Fame Forum Value Mall and Q Cinemas. Hows the 3D experience at these theaters? Last time i had gone for Tintin, i didn't quite like the 3D experience at Cinemax.
The IMAX they opened in bangalore is a Liemax. Its a pair of christie 1080p digital projectors tacked together not the real 15x70 analog projection system that exists in Hyderabad. Even the Bombay imax was the real deal until recently when they switched over to the new digital liemax.

For more info, check

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-the...l-imax-liemax/
Old 6th December 2012, 23:32   #4967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's ridiculously high ( a family of 4 needs to spend 2200 bucks on tickets) and I wonder why they charge so much. IMAX in Hyderabad which incidentally is the pioneer for IMAX in India still charges Rs.250/ticket and we Hydeez feel that's a lot

Regular multiplex tickets across all multiplex screens in Hyderabad is priced a standard Rs.150/ticket 7 days a week while single screen theatres are priced Rs.50 & Rs.60 per ticket

I am given to understand Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi price differently on weekend and weekday. Delhi has normal multiplex theatre ticket priced at Rs.500 which is no less than daylight robbery
In Sacramento, California, we have IMAX which is $17 per person (pp) for anytime shows. The quality is very good and worth it.

There is another new type of movie experience which was recently introduced. It is called D-Box. It is basically a 4D effect but more motion based than actual 4D. It costs $18 pp and needs to be book way in advance as it is only in 2 rows. Rest all seats are normal. The difference is the way we move, feel vibrations and all that stuff as to what happens in movie.

I saw expendables 2 there. In initial scene there is some action in Jeep which goes up and down. We experienced the same thing. It was fantastic experience and very different.

A normal movie during day cost $6 per person (pp). After second show and before 6 pm it is $10 (pp) and after 6 pm it is $12 and $14 in some places.

Then they have XD (Extreme Digital) technology which is a notch above normal digital experience but below IMAX. This is around $3-$4 more.

We have a Costco wholesale which provides tickets priced at $8 for anytime show. So if we go in the night we get that thereby saving anywhere from $5-$8 pp depending on price and show time.

Here also its the same thing, some places are very comfortable and big while some are small and uncomfortable.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:22   #4968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hotel Translyvania

Awesome. Simply awesome. Haven't laughed this much since the Madagascar (series). Must watch.

Rating: 5/5
I second this, good story line and loads of humor in it.

-Sajan
Old 11th December 2012, 00:06   #4969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Watched Battleship last night and here's the breakup:
- acting skills = 1/5 (except Liam Neeson); loads of overacting
- storyline = 2/5 (America saves the world - again)
- technology and effects = 5/5 (loved the alien attack craft and USS Missouri - reminded me of Under Siege)

Overall I'd give it 3/5 (if you're a weapons/ technology buff) for the entertainment factor.

I had fun; my wife, not so much
Watched Battleship over Blue Ray & I have exactly same review as you.

Storyline & acting be damned, the special effects make up for everything else. Its like watching a High Definition Comics

Rihanna makes a Celebrity appearance, she is a celebrity & she appears in the movie that's all about her in the movie

For the Sheer Entertainment value 3/5
Old 11th December 2012, 00:31   #4970
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am given to understand Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi price differently on weekend and weekday.
Yeah. Saw Talaash on a weekday 8:00 pm show at PVR @ Rs. 110 in the first week. On a weekend, it would be probably be 200+.
Old 11th December 2012, 00:53   #4971
BHPian

Watched Expendables 2 over the weekend. Nothing special really about this movie. Action sequences get boring very quickly. All the action heroes are shown like immortal gods.

2/5
Old 11th December 2012, 04:13   #4972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Watched Expendables 2 over the weekend. Nothing special really about this movie. Action sequences get boring very quickly. All the action heroes are shown like immortal gods.

2/5
I watched it too a few days ago. Its a Funny action movie. Think of all the Cliches that you could possible come up with for a movie with These actors & you would have them all & then some

Heck they even have a seen which no other Action hero could do but Chuck Norris, need I say more

This is a Bollywood kind of Masala Action Movie

3/5
Old 11th December 2012, 10:08   #4973
Distinguished - BHPian

Two doomsday scenario movies I saw over the weekend.

Pandorum:
Earth is overcrowded and dying, and a new planet is found similar to earth.
So an ark is sent across the universe with humans pumped full of some sort of enzymes/chemicals to sustain them through the planned 100 odd years journey, but which somehow turns into close to a thousand years.
In the meantime, earth is destroyed, and the ship literally is an ark.
Oh, and some humans have mutated cos of the enzymes, and there is a fight for survival in between the crews which wake up and sleep in cycles.
Nicely done.
Stars Ben foster(sidekick/villain from the mechanic), and dennis quaid.
Good for a popcorn and a pop.
3/5

Sunshine
I got this, and as I was watching it, i got totally immersed.
This time the sun is dying, and has to be restarted with a stellar bomb made of ALL the fissile material on the planet.
The first ship sent out failed, and the second ship has michelle yeoh, rose byrne, chris evans, amongst others.
It is done brilliantly, so well in fact that you dont get the typical feel of the rush one gets from such movies.
And then after the movie ends, i understood.
Danny Boyle.
5/5
Old 11th December 2012, 12:35   #4974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Quite a coincidence. I watched - The Core (doomsday theme)

The earth's core stops spinning causing cataclysmic reactions across the planet. Animals go berserk, communications start failing ..you get the picture. The masterplan to save our dear earth - build a submersible from an unheard-of strong metal, drill your way down, nuke the iron core and get hell out.

Rated - 3 / 5
Old 11th December 2012, 12:55   #4975
Distinguished - BHPian

Moon

To stick to the space-theme currently going, a review on a simple but sound movie about the life of a guy stationed at the moon. Sam Rockwell does an outstanding job in this movie, leaving him and a machine, there is practically no other actor in the movie.

Rating 4/5

Horror movie. But in a very very different manner. No loud sounds, sudden surprises at every corner that we have been showcased to, thanks to RGV-inspired movies. The twist at the end is worth the movie if nothing else. John Cusack again takes the care in an excellent role.

Trivia : There are two different endings to the movie. People who have watched this movie on HBO/Star Movies/etc would have seen the one ending in the "car". The first time I saw this movie, I got to see the other ending.

Rating 4/5
Old 11th December 2012, 13:43   #4976
BHPian

Quote:
Danny Boyle.
5/5
Yes. Had seen this move long time back and trust me it is gripping, want to watch it again on my 46" TV now
Old 11th December 2012, 13:51   #4977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sunshine
I got this, and as I was watching it, i got totally immersed.
This time the sun is dying, and has to be restarted with a stellar bomb made of ALL the fissile material on the planet.
The first ship sent out failed, and the second ship has michelle yeoh, rose byrne, chris evans, amongst others.
It is done brilliantly, so well in fact that you dont get the typical feel of the rush one gets from such movies.
Danny Boyle.
5/5
Really nice movie with a sort of weak ending. I saw it in a theater in 2007 or thereabouts. I loved the bits about how they sustain themselves in space with a herb garden and stuff. There was a lot of attention to detail. However the end sort of poured water over the entire premise - it was really laughable.

Another nice movie of this sort is Event Horizon - you must check that one if you haven't. Quite similar to pandorum but way better made IMHO.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:24   #4978
BHPian

Anybody's watched/planning to watch the Hobbit in 3D HFR (High Frame Rate - 48fps) ?
In Bangalore only at Inox Magrath Road it's being played at 48fps. Not sure about the other theaters. Any idea?
Old 15th December 2012, 09:48   #4979
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hobbit

The Hobbit

One of the good things about the LOTR series is Peter Jackson stuck to the books. He skipped out on a lot of portions but he stuck to the remaining parts. There weren't a lot of changes with the book; and if there were, they were made to overlook the missing parts of the book.

Well Peter Jackson probably felt he could tweak the story of the hobbit to make a more eventful movie. There are a lot of changes, mostly minor but a lot of changes in the script. For someone like me who knows the book page by page; during the entire movie, like a kid who's waiting to open presents at his birthday party, I could only just keep on wondering how Jackson is going to get the next part - is he going to stick to the book; are there any changes to the setup?

Don't get me wrong - the movie is brilliant. The difference between LOTR and The Hobbit is Tolkien spent a lot lesser on the landscape description in the latter and more on the story. What Jackson adds to the book is bringing out alive the landscapes. There is more detail to the setup(s) at the kingdom under the mountain, the goblin kingdom in the hills, and Rivendell - Tolkien would not grudge what Jackson has built on, added to the book. For e.g. the riddle game between Gollum and Bilbo which is just a short interaction, is covered beautifully and somewhat in a spooky manner.

Irrespective of whether you have read the book or not; go for a slow but a beautiful movie - be ready to be amazed by every stage of the movie by the beautiful setup that Jackson throws at you. And at the end of the three hour saga, if you are left wanting for more, then you'll understand the surprise I showed when the movie got over - I could not believe how those three hours passed by!

Rating: 5/5

(People who want to discuss the story and the changes - please PM me; I would love to have a discussion on this)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th December 2012 at 09:49.
Old 16th December 2012, 19:21   #4980
Distinguished - BHPian

Red dawn:

This movie has NOTHING working for it.
It could have been so much, and ended up being so little.
The original itself was amongst the most haphazard movies ever, and I was expecting better execution of what was basically the plot of every pre 1990 current war novel.
Instead there is no execution.

Very easily avoidable, as many people did today. 9 people in all were in the theatre.

2/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks