Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 00:56   #3931
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows part II. Good graphics. It was good to see the flash back from all movies towards the end. The only funny part was the climax. Would leave it to you guys to watch than revealing it here. Rating 3.5 / 5.0 Worth one time watch, try to watch it in 3D as well. I could watch only 2D and felt some scenes would really make a good watch in 3D.

Pirates of the Carribean - Stranger tides:: Didnt like it much. As usual some typical Johny Depp comedy, but real fans will frown! I actually cold not follow much and almost fell asleep, may be my fault. Cant rate it better than 2.5/5.0

Fast 5:: Totally action packed. Enjoyed the entire crew of Fast & Furious crew coming together. Some how didnt feel the charm of street racing [its not there, the drives are more of italian job kind]. But I still love cars and loved this movie too. Rating 4.0/5.0 [Yeah, Now I am waiting for Fast & Furious 6 coming in 2013]

X-Men-First Class:: Great movie. One of those few sequels where each part is equally good or better than other parts. Loved the way the movie integrates into the first part. Yeah, the story of this part is supposed to have happened even before the first part starts over. Rating 4.5 / 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anyone seen "Welcome to Jungle" starring Dwayne Johnson A.k.a Rock?How's it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Known also as "The Rundown" its a good Action comedy with some twists.

A good one time watch. 3.5/5 from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kites View Post
The Action is really good in this movie. IIRC this movie was often screened in one of the movie channels .
I agree ! Nice action. I particularly like the fight scene with the tribals. That's one heck of a scene and bet you will watch at least this portion alone twice. 4/5 from my side !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th July 2011 at 01:06.
Old 29th July 2011, 00:33   #3932
Senior - BHPian

Watched How To Train Your Dragon

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-how_to_train_your_dragon_ver6302x450.jpg

The Story is about a son of Viking King who doesn't have the typical expected Viking skills. He is mostly made fun so even when he claims to have shot down the never seen before Dragon nobody believes him.

He finds that dragon & on finding out that his shot had injured the dragon's tail making it unable to fly higher, he decides to help her. From then its a great story of friendship which tells this boy that all these years, the vikings had wrong information about the dragons.

He also finds out that there is a master Bad dragon whom the normal dragons fear & whom the Vikings should actually Kill. The story is about he achieves that with the help of the friendly dragon.

Amazing animation & great storyline.

4.5/5
Old 29th July 2011, 12:21   #3933
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched this movie. It was a terrific movie and Rock was best form in this movie. I liked it primarily because he was shown kicking the behind of almost everyone unlike in WT and FF-5 where he gets beaten by mere mortals. I hate that

Its a nice fast paced movie with some doses of humour thrown in good measure for an overall entertainment factor

Love DJ's voice and he acts quite well too considering most of these bodybuilders are always "wooden expressioned"

Rightly said, Christopher Walken was a good choice of that role and he has always been a fabulous actor. I would flinch in fear if someone like him says " Your dead already. You just dont know it" Whoa !!!!

An entertaining movie for sure....

3.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I agree ! Nice action. I particularly like the fight scene with the tribals. That's one heck of a scene and bet you will watch at least this portion alone twice. 4/5 from my side !
Yeah. I rewinded thrice to see those tribals swinging from trees and fighting with Rock. Unique stuff but, raw power wins over kung-fu...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kites View Post
The Action is really good in this movie. IIRC this movie was often screened in one of the movie channels .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
youre forgetting the other "rock" in this movie.
Christopher walken.
"You're dead already. You just don't know it."
"That's a lot of cows."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
LOL, you planning a ROCKumentary it seems. Not too long ago, it was a certain "Mr. Eastwoad" who caught your fancy.

Read your comments on "Walking Tall" and how you did not like that Sri Sri Rock ji was beaten up by some thugs.

Well, this flick (Welcome to the Jungle) will PAKKA not disappoint you on that front. In fact, even S W Scott plays his character pretty well and provides decent comic relief.

Good entertainment, full on action. Rating - 3/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Known also as "The Rundown" its a good Action comedy with some twists. The actions are as expected over the top but funny at the same time. Good one liners and nice acting by the star cast too. A good one time watch. 3.5/5 from me.
You guys were all bang on target. Rock rocked in this movie and I reckon i am at the end of rocumentary

Contemplating dedicating next week to another favorite actor " Samuel L. Jackon" but, seen most of his movies. Any reccos would be appreciated

P.S: Next in line " Courage Under Fire" starring Denzil Washington and Meg Ryan. Supposed to be a good thriller?
Old 29th July 2011, 13:24   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Contemplating dedicating next week to another favorite actor " Samuel L. Jackon" but, seen most of his movies. Any reccos would be appreciated

P.S: Next in line " Courage Under Fire" starring Denzil Washington and Meg Ryan. Supposed to be a good thriller?
Watch "Die Hard - with a vengeance". S L Jackson is at his humorous best in this one. The ending was a bit drab though. Overall a wonderful fast paced movie.

Most of his movies are good. Some others that I would recommend would be :

Most recommended:

Pulp Fiction (obviously)
Jackie Brown
The Negotiator
Shaft

Can watch:

Some of the "Star Wars" instalments (new ones, starting from "Phantom Menace)
Coach carter
Rules of Engagement (not a great role IMO)
The Incredibles (animation - voice over)

Please AVOID:

Snakes on a plane (could not sit through the entire movie)
Unbreakable (Some like it. I think its just plain stupid)
SWAT

Happy viewing.

PS - Courage under fire is a fantastic movie. Great performance by Denzel, Meg Ryan and Lou Diamond Philip. A must watch. Rating - 4/5.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 13:36   #3935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Edit
.................................................. ..........
Most recommended:

Pulp................................Edit
In school, "courage under fire" was called "curry anda
fry".
ahh, nostalgia!!

As for samuel l jackson do try these as well:
loaded weapon
long kiss goodnight(though this one is more for geena davis....wow!)
jumper(he's chilling in this!!)
Old 29th July 2011, 13:53   #3936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
loaded weapon
Have not seen loaded weapon but do remember seeing "Long Kiss Goodnight" wayyyyy back. I agree with you, in this movie Geena Davis outshone one and all.

But Jumper? IMO, it was plain moronic. This I think should be in the "Please AVOID" list, but thats just me.
Old 29th July 2011, 15:47   #3937
BHPian

Quote:
Please AVOID:

I thought 1408 was a very decent horror flick based on Stephen King's story but I guess it's not to everyone's taste.
Old 29th July 2011, 16:00   #3938
Distinguished - BHPian

The best movie ever of Samuel L Jackson is " Pulp Fiction". He is the central character in this movie and his performance was mindblowing and would say the movie became a cult primarily due to his major contribution. I dont think he can beat this performance "ever"

Quote:
Most recommended:

Pulp Fiction (obviously)
Jackie Brown ( Seen...Good Movie)
The Negotiator ( Not Seen)
Shaft ( Not Seen)

Can watch:

Some of the "Star Wars" instalments (new ones, starting from "Phantom Menace) ( Not Seen)
Coach carter ( Not Seen)
Rules of Engagement (not a great role IMO) ( Not Seen)
The Incredibles (animation - voice over) ( Not Seen)

Please AVOID:
Snakes on a plane (could not sit through the entire movie)( Not Seen)
Unbreakable (Some like it. I think its just plain stupid) ( Seen...I liked it)
1408 ( Seen...I liked the movie not particularly because of SJ's acting)
SWAT ( Not Seen)

Happy viewing.

PS - Courage under fire is a fantastic movie. Great performance by Denzel, Meg Ryan and Lou Diamond Philip. A must watch. Rating - 4/5.
There are couple you missed in the list. Changing Lanes. It was a fantastic movie and SJ was brilliant in it. Remade in Hindi Taxi No.911 or something starring John Abraham and Nana Patekar. Even the hindi movie was very good.

Lake View Terrace. This was also a good movie with SJ in an accentric police officer role.

Quote:
In school, "courage under fire" was called "curry anda
fry".
ahh, nostalgia!!

loaded weapon
Have seen LKG. Brilliant movie and Geena Davis with her lovely pout overshadowed our man

Not seen Loaded Weapon and Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I thought 1408 was a very decent horror flick based on Stephen King's story but I guess it's not to everyone's taste.
+1. The concept was good and chilling. Seen it twice. Once on TV

It's like the 13B of Hollywood.
Old 29th July 2011, 16:49   #3939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Guess so. This movie also has a decent rating on "rotten tomatoes". I remember seeing this quite sometime back and did not think too much of it. In all fairness, it aired on TV and there's a very good probability that the scary / gory scenes were edited. Will watch the uncut version and post my comments.

Quote:
There are couple you missed in the list. Changing Lanes.
Lake View Terrace
Hmm, have not seen either but heard good things about them both.

But what about "Die Hard - with a vengeance"? Seen it or not? If not, I suggest this is where you start if you haven't. If you have already, "The Negotiatior" should be the next in line. Not just SLJ, Kevin Spacy gave a fantastic performance. A real treat.
Old 29th July 2011, 18:26   #3940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful movie - 4.0/5.0 ! I particularly liked the movie towards the end and became a BIG fan of Denzel Washington after this movie. The first time I realized we have "actors" in English movies as well.

Quote:
+1

Watched a movie "The initial D" . Supposed to be Japanese I believe. This is about drag racing in Mount Akino [or something of that sort]. Rented it on a DVD and could not watch the last 30 mins ! So much scratches. Nice movie for car lovers. Rating - 2.5 / 5.0

The last Air Bender:: Nothing great about the movie. But I like M. Night Shyamalan's movies because of the different subjects he work on. Liked the locations selected [could be Studio itself], the choreography. May not be itched in the history, but a good watch nevertheless. Rating - 3.0 / 5.0

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th July 2011 at 18:30.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:25   #3941
Senior - BHPian

watched "True grit" the new version, starring Jeff Bidges and Matt Damon. Its a remake of a John wayne Western Classic.

The girl is outstanding in her performance. Commendable dialogue delivery for a 14 year old.
Old 31st July 2011, 22:34   #3942
Senior - BHPian

Hop (2011)

Movie of an easter bunny, its refreshingly good movie with a human touch thrown in. A one time animated watch.

4/5

Blitz

Can't believe Jason Statham said yes to this movie. Boring, talkative movie. I was expecting typical Jason action. Nowhere near. Also the story is kinda lame.

2/5

Something borrowed

A romantic movie showing a typical love triangle. Predictable, but quite entertaining. NY is shown beautifully, their weekend escape place is stunning too. Acting is nothing great. The lead guy is not able to emote well. The two leading ladies are sweet and acts good.

I liked what is shown, but may not cater to everyone's taste.

3.5/5
Old 1st August 2011, 12:45   #3943
Senior - BHPian

Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows part II
Easily the best of the lot. The graphics are really good. I felt the climax was a little weird but then they had to close the series.

Rating-3.5/5

Paul
Paul (2011) - IMDb

A different alien movie. I liked it cos it has quiet a few funny moments.
One time watch.

Rating -3/5
Old 1st August 2011, 13:22   #3944
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians: Check out the new IMDB feature called "watchlist". Can make your list of movies which you wanna check out or also a list which you watched.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:33   #3945
Distinguished - BHPian

How to train your dragon
Hiccup, the lead, is really funny.
The one liners are, surprisingly, fresh and worthy of a chuckle.
The Irish/scottish accent on the vikings, even more so.
Animation is nice, though i wish there was some way i could have caught the 3d version.

Ignore everything else, but in one line:
If youre a person who loves dogs, and has laughed at LOLDogs, ihasacheeseburger, etc, you will love toothless, the dragon.
His expressions are worthy of the cutest pup.
nuff said.
5/5.

The machinist:
4/5.
If youve seen dark knight/batman begins, youve gotta see this one to understand the breadth of this guys talent(mr. bale).
prepare to be utterly shocked by his appearance!
I cant say anything about this one, except that this is different, good different.

While watching this i decided to dig out another one Mr. Bale's non batman works.
back to back i saw these.

Newsies:
5/5
Again a hero character for batman, but a very human hero in this one.
This is a song-and-dance flick, west-side story-esque.
Its about the news-boys we saw in 40's movies/comics shouting on the streets "extra, extra!".
If you can spot this movie anywhere, do watch it.

Last edited by mayankk : 1st August 2011 at 13:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks