Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 21:19   #4141
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Waiting for Star Movies or HBO to play the movie I want to watch is not something I enjoy. There are some movies which I watch 2-3 times and I like to collect good movies so that I can watch them again when I want. And again 99Rs is not much, if it was like 3-400 Rs then I would think many times before buying.
Why not subscribe to BligFlix instead? Their one month plan is expensive (600 rs) but the 3/6/12 months plan are very reasonable (about 320 a month depending on the plan you choose). Pretty VFM and you get access to a plethora of collection of DVD's!

Among the movies you have mentioned in the list, none of them is a keeper as such, but Frequency, The Fog and O Brother is a one-time watch.

Last edited by prateekm : 26th September 2011 at 21:22.
Old 26th September 2011, 22:07   #4142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V

If psychotic movies are okay with you, and your a fan of Mr.Bale; watch 'The Machinist'. Some nudity and gore but the twist and Bale's acting are fantastic.
Have seen it. Infact, I turned into a fan only after watching Bale's performance in this one.
Old 26th September 2011, 22:46   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Why not subscribe to BligFlix instead? Their one month plan is expensive (600 rs) but the 3/6/12 months plan are very reasonable (about 320 a month depending on the plan you choose). Pretty VFM and you get access to a plethora of collection of DVD's!

Among the movies you have mentioned in the list, none of them is a keeper as such, but Frequency, The Fog and O Brother is a one-time watch.
Actually have been using BigFlix for quite some time. But problem with them is that I'm not getting the movies that I want to watch and not even getting the right movie even after reserving the movie. Not very happy with their service. Anyway, will check if these movies are there in BigFlix.
Old 28th September 2011, 08:30   #4144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Actually have been using BigFlix for quite some time. But problem with them is that I'm not getting the movies that I want to watch and not even getting the right movie even after reserving the movie. Not very happy with their service. Anyway, will check if these movies are there in BigFlix.
Bigflix has become useless. After nearly 3 years, I finally stopped my Bigflix membership & joined showtimevideo (this is a Bombay only chain I think) a week back. Showtime has atleast 40 2010/2011 movies which Bigflix doesn't have. Bigflix was good upto 2 years back. But they don't update their new movie collection these days. They get only one out of 3 new movies & even that comes very late. They still don't have Inception. The first movie I got from showtimevideo is Inception - Blew my mind. Saw it twice in 2 days. I would give it 4.8 out of 5.

I have been delaying stopping my Bigflix membership for almost 4-5 months now. I finally did it because I wanted to watch Inception & by god, it was worth it.
Old 28th September 2011, 08:42   #4145
BHPian

Ended up watching The Illusionist and The Prestige again. Dark and powerfull Two of the best magician moves I have seen.
AdityaLN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 08:48   #4146
BHPian

I have a Pioneer screen and Sony DVD player in my car and there seems to be a loose connection between the two. I have to figure out how to pull out the Sony player to inspect the wiring on the back. I've been too lazy to do it for the past 3 months though.

If you want to watch a Transporter-style film, check out Drive. It was released sometime this year.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:30   #4147
BHPian

Source Code is pretty good. Actually pretty good for a minimalistic movie. Its a thriller and action movie but with some twists.

For the ultimate minimal movie, watch 'Buried'. Its just crazy what Hollywood can throw up sometimes. Its a thriller but not an action movie. Its not fast paced though and you might feel 'claustrophobic'
Old 29th September 2011, 07:41   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
Ended up watching The Illusionist and The Prestige again. Dark and powerfull Two of the best magician moves I have seen.
Yeah. Both are equally good movies. The overall feel of these movies is also quite similar.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:35   #4149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Bigflix has become useless. After nearly 3 years, I finally stopped my Bigflix membership & joined showtimevideo (this is a Bombay only chain I think) a week back. Showtime has atleast 40 2010/2011 movies which Bigflix doesn't have. Bigflix was good upto 2 years back. But they don't update their new movie collection these days. They get only one out of 3 new movies & even that comes very late. They still don't have Inception. The first movie I got from showtimevideo is Inception - Blew my mind. Saw it twice in 2 days. I would give it 4.8 out of 5.
I am begining to agree with you. I too have become frustrated with their lack of new movie additions not to mention most of the movies which i want to see are always in waiting period.

Can you share some info about this new service? price, website link, service feedback etc? Only problem is that i have paid entire annual fee with Bigflix which expires only in March-2012

Watched a few movies since last week :-

Darkness Falls

Story is based on the age-old myth of tooth fairy and revolves around a guy who has experienced this myth for real in his childhood and when it happens again to a small boy, he sets out to help him overcome the similar horrifying experience that he went through during his childhood.

Its a gripping and engrossing movie with a few twists and turns and decent must watch for horror fans

3/5

Terminator Salvation

The 4th installment of the T series where the Cybernet is back to eliminate that one person who can endanger their existence. The movie starts off slightly boring in presentation and storyline but, picks up pace around half time and has some excellent CGI and some amount of continuity with the earlier films ensures that this film is just about watchable.

It could have been a much better movie had the ending been different - a few lesser characters would also have helped. There's too much emphasis on VFX and too less on character development. It doesn’t help that Christian Bale sleepwalks through his role.

Btw, Sam Worthington too has a lovely voice

3/5

Freddy Vs. Jason

Hollywood knows how to cash in on not just sequels but, also pitting two legendary horror characters against each other. I was a big fan of Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies but, this movie didnt dwelve on scaring the viewers but, simply chopping off the characters meticulously one after the other.

There's just too much blood and gore and even my tough as nails stomach couldnt digest that color.

Overall, its a time pass flick for the most serious and hardcore horror fans

2/5

Lethal Weapon 2

One of the most popular homicide detective pair of Mel Gibson and Danny Glover is a delight to watch. DG played an exactly opposite role in this movie compared to his role in Predator 2 where he was aggressive to the core. He is the reason the movie is immensely watchable.

I plan to watch the next two installments as well. Appreciate feedback on LW-3 and LW-4

3.5/5

P.S : Next in line is " Lethal Weapon-3". Hope its better than the 2nd installment
Old 29th September 2011, 12:57   #4150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN
Quote:
Originally Posted by C300

Yeah. Both are equally good movies. The overall feel of these movies is also quite similar.
Two of the very best, I agree. I liked The Illusionist a tiny bit more though!
Old 29th September 2011, 13:32   #4151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bigflix has become useless. After nearly 3 years, I finally stopped my Bigflix membership & joined showtimevideo (this is a Bombay only chain I think) a week back. Showtime has atleast 40 2010/2011 movies which Bigflix doesn't have. Bigflix was good upto 2 years back. But they don't update their new movie collection these days. They get only one out of 3 new movies & even that comes very late.
I'm still thinking whether to renew my Bigflix membership as it'll get expired soon. I might renew it as we don't have much options except for seventymm which also doesn't have that review in terms of service or movie. For new movies BigFlix has a very bad collection.
Anyway, got Philadelphia from BigFlix and gonna watch it this weekend.

Quote:
They still don't have Inception. The first movie I got from showtimevideo is Inception - Blew my mind. Saw it twice in 2 days. I would give it 4.8 out of 5.

I have been delaying stopping my Bigflix membership for almost 4-5 months now. I finally did it because I wanted to watch Inception & by god, it was worth it.
Yup, good movie Inception is. BTW, watch Source Code too, you'll like it if you liked Inception(theme has similarity although different stories)
Old 30th September 2011, 00:55   #4152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am begining to agree with you. I too have become frustrated with their lack of new movie additions not to mention most of the movies which i want to see are always in waiting period.

Can you share some info about this new service? price, website link, service feedback etc? Only problem is that i have paid entire annual fee with Bigflix which expires only in March-2012
This is showtimevideo - Showtime Video: India's Premier Movie Rental.
But it exists only in Bombay. They give discounts over plans offered on their website.

However, I haven't joined any of their unlimited disc plans. My movie watching has reduced now & unlimited plans no longer make sense for me. I very rarely cross 7-8 discs per months. So they have bulk plans - i.e. you pay 1050 Rs for 30 discs or 1999 for 75 discs. And then you can rent these disc overs 1 year (for 1st one) or over lifetime for the 2nd plan.

They get new movies very quickly & they get almost all new movies.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 05:30   #4153
BHPian

If you're looking for something to watch, check out Catch That Kid. There's a (click the link for the YouTube video) toward the end. The X-Box steering wheel might be an inspiration to modders on the forum too. The movie is about 3 kids who rob a bank. It's bound to be lots of fun to kill some time on a weekend.
Old 30th September 2011, 06:39   #4154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Yeah, both have a similar feel. These two along with Scoop were the three movies from 2006 with magic theme. Scoop is all right, it's light but has the Woody Allen written al over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Two of the very best, I agree. I liked The Illusionist a tiny bit more though!
For me it's the other way around. I am a big fan of Ed Norton but liked Prestige a bit more, it's darker.
Old 1st October 2011, 02:18   #4155
BHPian

Watched Miller's Crossing. Its okay, some may like the twists and turns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks