Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 10:27   #7996
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Totally recommended, from my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Thanks, been in my wishlist for long. Marley & Me was epic, so would love to go ahead with these two movies now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
For those who loved 'Marley & Me' do give these movies a watch .
If you guys liked the Dog' Purpose / Dog's Journey, here's an extremely delightful movie (released in 2011) based on a true story in Australia.

Red Dog: 4 /5

Wonderful true-to-the-reality setup of the hot & dry landscape of Western Australia in a mining town. Top-notch acting by Josh Lucas and a wonderful local/Australian supporting cast. Best of the lot - the antics of the dog, shot delightfully well throughout the movie.

Give it a watch with family or alone. It's a wonderful way to spend 2 hours.

P.s. I assume everyone's seen Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009) by now for sure so no use bringing that up
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:03   #7997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If you guys liked the Dog' Purpose / Dog's Journey, here's an extremely delightful movie (released in 2011) based on a true story in Australia.

Red Dog: 4 /5

P.s. I assume everyone's seen Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009) by now for sure so no use bringing that up
I believe I have watched Red Dog, and enjoyed it. Same with Hachi, but we have added it to the list for a re-watch for the upcoming family movie night.
Old 27th April 2021, 11:12   #7998
Distinguished - BHPian

Nezha Reborn
Netflix

Its a cyberpunk/apocalyptical future kind of animate movie, from China. Its fairly interesting and exciting. Based on some 1970's animated flick, shifted into a future Chinese city due to a rebirth of the hero, and his old enemies also coming back around to kill him.
It is definitely worth a watch.
Animation is excellent, except for facial expressions, which are somewhat similar to Japan, but still a ways to get there.

4/5

Space Sweepers
Netflix

A Korean post apocalyptic flick, following the life of space sweepers, ie, people who space kabadiwalas, collecting junk floating around, while mankind has shifted the rich to space, and is looking to colonize Mars. Meantime, earth is too far gone, and will be destroyed. One team of space sweepers holds the key to saving earth.
Can watch it in dubbed English, does not disconnect much from the original
Good watch again.

4/5
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 23:29   #7999
BHPian

Recently I watched "The next three days", a 2010 movie on Netflix and I liked it. It's a story of a husband whose wife is arrested for the murder of her boss It stars Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-images-8.jpeg  

Last edited by CarNerd : 27th April 2021 at 23:36.
CarNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 07:00   #8000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
In this day of OTT and easy access to viewing devices, as parents we have to be all the more careful. And yes ultimately as parents we hope we know better to make an informed choice as to what our kids should be doing and watching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Lol, that's true. My daughter has no problem watching all sorts of horror movies as she finds those funny. What stuck her hard in the case of Everest was that it was based on a real story.
Going bit off-topic here, but couldn’t resist after seeing this.

For perspective - my 10 year old daughter has already watched brutally violent stuff, I remember her sitting awestruck through Kill Bill when she was around 5 (questionable parenting choice, I know ). She could watch any of the cult horror stuff without batting an eyelid and go on to sleep in her room as usual. But when it comes to any scene in a movie where adults confront each other about any situation that involves lies or deceit, she puts her palm across her eyes and peeks out. While I do not fully comprehend this, I would go far as to say that seemingly violent or horrifying content haven’t affected or traumatised her to the extent that real world situations (fictional) have. I dare say age rating is to be taken with a pinch of salt, and it’s for parents to decide the limits, in line with the emotional intelligence and maturity level of the child.

Of course what we expose our children to and what kind of values/ideas we want to instill in them is a deeply personal choice, these are just my thoughts.

Last edited by Pequod : 28th April 2021 at 07:25.
Old 28th April 2021, 11:55   #8001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Recently I watched "The next three days", a 2010 movie on Netflix and I liked it. It's a story of a husband whose wife is arrested for the murder of her boss It stars Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson, etc.
I watched this movie during a flight and the plane landed when I had covered almost 3/4 of the movie. I continued watching the movie even after everyone had de-boarded and the flight attendants were respectfully asking me to leave. Finally they powered off the screens and kicked me out; I missed the climax scene.

It was late night around 2AM and I was all restless thinking about the movie. We didn't have any streaming services then and I had to spend the entire night searching for pirated contents and finally watched the last scenes around 5AM. This movie tops my favorite list; probably because of the struggle I had to go through.
Holyghost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 00:16   #8002
Distinguished - BHPian

The Laundromat

Available on Netflix. A dark comedy about the Panama Paper leak. If you liked The Big Short, you will like too for its unusual style of narration. Splendid job by the star cast.

4/5
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 00:51   #8003
Senior - BHPian

Along Came a Spider - 2001 movie, Morgan Freeman, based on a novel by James Patterson. Brilliant movie.

Rating : 5/5

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:41   #8004
Distinguished - BHPian

Mortal Kombat (2021): 2.5 / 5

The 1995 Mortal Kombat movie is and will be the movie of legends forever. Dialogues, actions scenes and characters have been etched in history and will not be forgotten. And not least of all, the amazing sound track and the numerous remixes of them. What is not publically known was the movie was part of a 3-set deal. A sequel was made on 1997 which was a total flop and the 3rd was never made.

Finally(!) a reboot has been made and they have thankfully not made a mess of it. Although it could have been so much more better. While the main characters are not that interesting, it's the villains' Scorpion and Sub-Zero with a bit of their history thrown in, who make the movie much more interesting. And the best part - there's a clear indication of a sequel.

Give it a watch if you are a fan of the original. Else I'd say give it a skip.

Without Remorse: 3 / 5

Everyone's up to making movie series - here's another one setup in the world of Jack Ryan, although there's no mention of him but his boss Jim Greer does get referenced. Michael Jordan does a fantastic one - literally holding the movie through and through. The others hardly have any significance and it shows out clearly through the entire movie. A decent watch, only thanks to Jordan's good acting.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 30th April 2021 at 18:44.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:59   #8005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Mortal Kombat (2021): 2.5 / 5

Give it a watch if you are a fan of the original. Else I'd say give it a skip.

I wish it could have been better but i can't complain. Some of the fatalities were just brutal ( in a good way )

Kano, Scorpion, Sub Zero and Kung-Lao were my picks in this. And people have already started petitioning Ryan Reynolds to portray Johny Cage
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 09:59   #8006
Distinguished - BHPian

The Game

A Michael Douglas, Sean Pean movie available on Netflix. If you love thrillers, then it is a must watch. Gripping story and brilliant acting.

4/5.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 13:28   #8007
BHPian

Midnight Run
A Robert De Niro laughter riot hidden gem only available for rent in YouTube.

5/5.
csnanjappa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 13:37   #8008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Which streaming platform are you guys watching this on?
It's now available in Hotstar premium.
csnanjappa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 17:59   #8009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
It's now available in Hotstar premium.
Thanks for this very useful info. I plan to watch it tonight itself.

For other's benefit, the movie being talked here is Nomadland (2020)
pnredkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:25   #8010
BHPian

Hush (2016) A movie about a deaf and mute woman who is a writer. A masked killer appears at her home
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-0__q3izkqsehf57g6i.jpg  

CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks