Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2023, 11:22   #9136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
My daughter all of 12yrs old is repeatedly asking me to take her to watch Heimer and says most of her classmates are all going! Isn't the movie R rated?
The Indian Censor board has recensored it to a U/A rating after removing the R rated scenes. It was U/A first, then made to A and then back to U/A

When it was changed to A rating, bookmyshow gave an option of refund and since I had included kids, I opted for the refund and booked again in another theater. Now they called up yesterday and told me its reverted to U/A rating so I kept that ticket as well. Now I have tickets in 2 different theaters at almost the same time . Only solace is that the second set of tickets is cancellable so I will get some refund!
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:34   #9137
Senior - BHPian

Ah ok. Thanks for the update. Anyway, shall wait for a few reviews, apparently it's a pretty dark movie?

Saw the trailer for Barbie as well when we were watching Spiderman and she agreed that it was pretty cringe but wants to watch it because of Ryan Gosling! Sigh, teens
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:45   #9138
Distinguished - BHPian

Oppenheimer - Rating it 3.75/5

Takeaway the hype of a Nolan and all the top cast, what you are left with is a known storyline that is elevated by really good acting and background score. If you like court rooms dramas that focus on charecter building, then you will enjoy Oppenheimer. The pacing of the first half is deliberate and the second half is much faster. Cillian Murphy as Oppenhiemer is very believable but IMO, Robert Downey Jr steals the show.

Definitely watch in theater as I belive this is a movie which needs an uninterrupted experience.

Last edited by procrj : 21st July 2023 at 11:46.
procrj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 12:22   #9139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Definitely watch in theater as I belive this is a movie which needs an uninterrupted experience.
First day first show indeed!

Given your review, is it then really worth watching it in IMAX at an inflated cost (~1000Rs across Bangalore) and experiencing the pain of nearly sold out shows? I plan to wait for a week (for the hype to go down) or go for a 2D show at acceptable rates.
Old 21st July 2023, 12:54   #9140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
First day first show indeed!
2D show at acceptable rates.
Nolan movies are always FDFS
I'd recommend a Weekday night show 2D. You won't be missing much by not watching this in IMAX.
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 14:52   #9141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How bad is the censorship? There's a good 10 minutes lost between the A and U/A version. Thanks to censor board moral policing, even A movies are terribly censored anyway.

That said IMAX ticket availability in Bangalore or any other cities is a lot better than Madras. The IMAX booking has been terrible, its booked through next weekend.
Old 21st July 2023, 15:43   #9142
Senior - BHPian

MI Dead Reckoning was decent fun.

Some obvious plot holes and a certain character death which didn't made any sense regarding the plot or situation. But, I still got what I expected. That cliff jump lost all its value due to so many you tube making videos. There was no novelty and it looked meh. Even the mask thing has become predictable. It's good Part 2 will be last one as Tom cruise is looking quite old and tired. IMAX viewing makes the experience better.

Just wished Luther and Benji got more screen time than Hayley Atwell who was touted as a smart thief but is quite dumb in all her actions entire movie.

Rating - 4/5

Might watch Oppenheimer on Monday. Not seeing in IMAX as I don't have the inclination to wait for so many days.
Old 21st July 2023, 16:59   #9143
BHPian

Quote:
FDFS with the expectation it will be > 4/5 but I would say its around 3.5/5. The story telling is Social Network-esque with out of the world performances. It doesn't require an IMAX experience.

Last edited by casnov : 21st July 2023 at 17:01.
casnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 20:39   #9144
Senior - BHPian

Christopher Nolan’s war drama creates waves!

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20230721_203836.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 22:23   #9145
Distinguished - BHPian

Oppenheimer: 3.5/5

Very good movie. More of an intense drama with fantastic performances that really elevates the movie. Typically not a big fan of Nolan movies. But this one is a different genre and enjoyed it. Almost failed to recognise Robert Downey Jr.

As mentioned by procj, the non linear narrative and the the fact that it is a dialogue focused movie means that it is best enjoyed in the theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
How bad is the censorship? There's a good 10 minutes lost between the A and U/A version. Thanks to censor board moral policing, even A movies are terribly censored anyway.

That said IMAX ticket availability in Bangalore or any other cities is a lot better than Madras. The IMAX booking has been terrible, its booked through next weekend.
Don't think this needs an IMAX viewing. A good large screen is good enough. On censorship, as far as I understood most part of the intimate scene between Lilian and Florence is the one cut. Only about 10 seconds of it are kept in. Nothing else.

Kids older than 13-14 also should like it.
Old 22nd July 2023, 20:04   #9146
BHPian

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant - Amazon Prime - 3.5/5

Unlike the director's previous movies, this is a serious War Thriller / Drama. Recommend for anyone who's interested in that genre.

Very good Acting by the leads, especially by Dar Salim who played Ahamed. Jake Gyllenhaal as usual very good.
Action & shootout scenes are Intense and shot well

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-images-17.jpeg
Asish_VK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 21:41   #9147
Senior - BHPian

Oppenheimer—4/5

The movie is about the “man” and not the “mission”, so people going with expectations that the movie would largely deal with the first atomic bombing would end up disappointed. Its a biopic of J.Robert Oppenheimer and the movie should be seen from that perspective alone.

Christopher Nolan is a maverick, most of his movies are intriguing and some of the scenes will stay with you forever. My all time favourites are The Prestige, Insomnia, the bat man trilogy and now in that line up Oppenheimer ranks in the top 5! I enjoyed Interstellar & Inception too, but the movie plots were a bit too complex and sometimes that takes away the fun and the ability to relate to something. Dunkirk and Tenet were the only ones I found to be below par, purely from the high standards Nolan has established.

Anyway, coming back to the Movie, the narrative is non-linear ( that’s expected from Nolan, I guess), and very gripping. Cillian Murphy brings that intensity that’s needed for a complex character that he is portraying, I think this is a lifetime role for him! His personality already has a bit of an intrigue and that’s something i felt when i first watched him in The Batman Begins. I have not seen Peaky Blinders, but im now going to surely!

The cast is spectacular, Robert Downey Jr plays a role that might finally help him to get away from that “ironman” tag he has been carrying for far too long now. Matt Damon, Emily Blunt lend solidity to their roles, Casey affleck, Rami Malek, Gary Oldman, all have very short, but impactful cameos. I mean, it seems like No Hollywood actor would ever say no to even a 5 second role in a Nolan’s movie!

Is the movie perfect? Nope, its got its flaws, feels way too long at 3 hours, and even for a Christopher Nolan movie, it’s fairly predictable, and thats also because its a biopic. Nolan has played to a “biopic” template, the rise and the fall of J.Robert Oppenheimer. But its a brilliant movie, no doubt. Watch it with the right expectations and you will be amazed.

Last edited by motorworks : 22nd July 2023 at 21:44.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 07:57   #9148
Senior - BHPian

Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant—2.5 / 5

What’s happening to Guy Ritchie? His distinctive style of film making was so unique in his early movies like Lock, Stock and Two smoking barrels, Snatch, RocknRolla, Sherlock Holmes, The Gentlemen etc. However, some of his recent movies like Operation Fortune, Wrath of Man, and The Covenant are not in that same league. I mean, these movies could have been made by anyone. And thats the case with The Covenant, its like Guy Ritchie decided to tick a box by making a war movie based out of Afghanistan. Both lead actors do not bring the intensity at all. Jake Gylenhall, who has given some fantastic performances in some earlier movies like The nightcrawler, Prisoners etc, is literally sleep walking in this role. The other main lead actor, Dar Salim, seems more American than Afghan in this film and it takes away the nativity that the character is supposed to bring.

The movie is watchable, not bad, but its neither a Guy Ritchie movie and nor a special war drama.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 13:37   #9149
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 over the weekend and enjoyed it. Waiting for the next one.

Thanks to my brother for pointing out, for the Chuck Norris fans, Delta Force is available on Amazon Prime
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20230723_133109.jpg

And so are all old Pink Panther movies.
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20230723_133158.jpg
BoneCollector is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 14:28   #9150
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Oppenheimer Rating - 3/5

A compelling story about the thin line between political and scientific thinking and actions is brilliantly portrayed by the actors in the most important period of modern history. Must watch for science, political and history lovers as after all we don't see so many Nobel laureates/scientists depicted in a single frame and their beliefs and lives during and post war period.

Though as a biopic film, it is well narrated by Nolan and covers over and above the Manhattan project subject, it will be tough to follow the film unless one is well versed about the Red scare and McCarthyism of 1950s USA.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks