Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2023, 02:25   #9181
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Being big horror buffs me and my wife made a beeline to watch ‘Talk to me’ in the theatre.

Disappointing to say the least. It’s like they took all the good bits of the movie and put it in the teaser. The movie itself was slow, ponderous, almost no horror for most parts and even when it was there, it was the bloody/gory kind, which doesn’t work for us.
Maybe it’s just us but we seem to find a tendency nowadays of horror films to not have ‘jump scares’ and to be more about dealing with grief and trauma and for the horror to be more psychological or interpretive. But then for that you need the skills of a story like The Babadook to be able to make it work. That was probably the reason why we felt Insidious The Red Door also was so boring. Because that approach too can only work once or twice. Horror has to be scary, and inventive scary, which the new films we keep seeing are not (to us) anymore.

1/5

Last edited by Evyas : 7th August 2023 at 02:27. Reason: Spelling errors
Evyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 10:20   #9182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Barbie: 0 / 5 stars for adults, 5 / 5 stars for kids (especially girls).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post

Barbie: 1/5
This movie made no sense to me. I don’t know who the target audience was. The concept was understandable but the execution was cringe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post

My rating - Barbie (5/5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post

My rating for Barbie would be 3.5/5 and for Oppenheimer and Mission Impossible, it is 3/5.
Irrespective of where you guys stand with regards to your reviews of the Barbie movie, the world has clearly spoken - it's a super duper hit!

Barbie ticket sales hit $1Bn (only the 53rd movie to do so till date and only the second movie this year to do so). And it's only been two-odd weeks so the numbers are still continuing to go up. And just for reference, Oppenheimer sales are still under $0.8Bn in comparison so that's pretty decent work by the Barbie team; given a lot of those other 53 $1Bn+ movies didn't see such one-on-one competition during their initial weeks.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 10:46   #9183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Barbie ticket sales hit $1Bn (only the 53rd movie to do so till date and only the second movie this year to do so). And it's only been two-odd weeks so the numbers are still continuing to go up. And just for reference, Oppenheimer sales are still under $0.8Bn in comparison so that's pretty decent work by the Barbie team;
Would the fact that Oppenheimer is R rated in most of the places have had an impact on this?

In India it is U/A and I recollect it doing better than Barbie here.

Just a thought. Have not watched either of the two movies so don't really know.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 12:08   #9184
BHPian

Quote:
Irrespective of where you guys stand with regards to your reviews of the Barbie movie, the world has clearly spoken - it's a super duper hit!

Barbie ticket sales hit $1Bn (only the 53rd movie to do so till date and only the second movie this year to do so). And it's only been two-odd weeks so the numbers are still continuing to go up. And just for reference, Oppenheimer sales are still under $0.8Bn in comparison so that's pretty decent work by the Barbie team; given a lot of those other 53 $1Bn+ movies didn't see such one-on-one competition during their initial weeks.
That's OK
Neither box office numbers nor personal preferences are a verdict on the quality of a movie or the type it is. To each his own.
Personally if given a choice, I'd watch Oppenheimer again on an IMAX. Barbie, not even on a regular screen.

PS: Two Transformer movies have crossed $1 billion too as have multiple Fast and Furious movies.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 19:37   #9185
BHPian

Quote:
Barbie ticket sales hit $1Bn
My two paisa of why it made loads of money. I went to Openhimer alone while I had to accompany my 'dressed in pink' daughter and wife to Barbie.
doxinboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 00:42   #9186
BHPian

Tetris - 2023
Apple TV+
5/5

Great watch. I saw the name and I thought what would be so interesting about it. Then I saw the trailer and then the movie. It is a great movie. Do watch if you're interested in movies related to US-Russia politics and game history.

Cocaine Bear - 2023
Jio Cinema
4/5

A silly highly entertaining movie. The name says it all.

Last edited by NG_EV : 11th August 2023 at 00:46.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 16:30   #9187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
My two paisa of why it made loads of money. I went to Openhimer alone while I had to accompany my 'dressed in pink' daughter and wife to Barbie.
Exactly many of my friends got caught in the hype or went for the family. And all of them regretted it. I have not seen the movie but the general feed back is that it feministic/woke propaganda presented as an innocuous kids movie.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 16:43   #9188
Senior - BHPian

Ambulance

Streaming: Netflix

Downloaded the movie and watched during the flight recently. Expected to be a high octane drama on the roads but saw some mindless chase of the ambulance by the cops. The Ambulance was being driven like a F1 car which is unimaginable. Jake Gyllenhaal puts up a dud performance. I still had 25 mins of the movie left and stopped watching. Avoid and watch the F1 races instead.

Rating: 1/5
Old 13th August 2023, 10:53   #9189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Exactly many of my friends got caught in the hype or went for the family. And all of them regretted it. I have not seen the movie but the general feed back is that it feministic/woke propaganda presented as an innocuous kids movie.
It's PG-13 right? Definitely not a kids movie. Parents who take their younger kids to see movies without reading about it are to blame.

Have not seen the movie nor do i plan to, but it does seem to have struck a chord with moviegoers and is minting money.

Oh well.

Watched "Demolition" on prime last night.

Was rated 7/10 on imdb with some 100k+ votes.

"A successful investment banker struggles after losing his wife in a tragic car crash. With the help of a customer service rep and her young son, he starts to rebuild, beginning with the demolition of the life he once knew."

With a summary like that, we expected it to be a rom com. But it turned out to be a hard hitter. Movie felt very disjointed overall but somehow it worked and we watched till the end. Felt a void at the end though...

3.5/5

Last edited by deathwalkr : 13th August 2023 at 10:55.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 21:16   #9190
Senior - BHPian

Heart of Stone on Netflix —1/5.

How can Netflix end up making such movies over and over again? Hollywood has lost it! I mean, how can you rehash the same plot about spies?

Hollywood had this fascination about Spies and missing nuclear warheads, Bad Russians etc and now instead of nuclear warheads, it’s some Artificial intelligence tool that everyone is after! Throw in some exotic European locations, car chase thru some narrow european cities, and voila, we have another silly film!

I don’t know the intention behind casting Alia Bhatt, maybe some honchos in Netflix thought that they have to increase market share in India so they now find it mandatory to include some indian stars ( they had Dhanush in the Gray man), but Alia bhatt only adds to the very shallow, predictable and boring movie that Netflix should have never ever produced!
motorworks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 11:08   #9191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I was to watch this on the return flight tomorrow, I guess I will need to download another one I guess.
Old 14th August 2023, 21:14   #9192
BHPian

Quote:

How can Netflix end up making such movies over and over again? Hollywood has lost it! I mean, how can you rehash the same plot about spies?
Started watching it and the moment the first scene at the bottom of the cable car was over, I knew this would not be a good watch. Instead watched the TV series "Scoop" which was good and also surprised that is based on a true story.
Old 14th August 2023, 21:24   #9193
BHPian

Heart of stone 3/5
I quite liked this film. Action scenes are comparable to MI or FF series. Adding another organisation Charter to the world map crowded with IMF, MI6, KGB, RAW and what not!
Alia's English accent somehow sounds very out of place. Dialogue delivery is nervous.
But otherwise liked the plot, action sequences. Somehow I feel people are ok with Tom Cruise or Vin Diesel doing all stupid impossible things. But when Gal Gadot does, all of sudden it becomes unreal or cliche plot.
Old 14th August 2023, 21:53   #9194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Same so for Bengaluru. I would check out the glitchyness for 100/200 bucks in an early morning show a couple of months from now
Doubt it will be around for that long. I see most theatres are having a single show now except for a couple of them which have 2 shows, IMAXs still have a few shows but I prefer them for 3D movies more. Might be taken off this Friday I fear looking at how 3 releases this week have hit the jackpot. Jailer, OMG-2 & Gadar-2 all seem to be doing well. Even the headache inducing RRKPK seems to be doing good. So planning to catch the Thursday morning show before it vanishes from the big screen/s.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th August 2023 at 21:57.
Old 14th August 2023, 22:26   #9195
BHPian

Quote:

Hollywood had this fascination about Spies and missing nuclear warheads, Bad Russians etc and now instead of nuclear warheads, it’s some Artificial intelligence tool that everyone is after! Throw in some exotic European locations, car chase thru some narrow european cities, and voila, we have another silly film!

I don’t know the intention behind casting Alia Bhatt, maybe some honchos in Netflix thought that they have to increase market share in India so they now find it mandatory to include some indian stars ( they had Dhanush in the Gray man), but Alia bhatt only adds to the very shallow, predictable and boring movie that Netflix should have never ever produced!
This. exactly this…
I have no idea what Alia Bhatt brought there, no clear value add as an action character, and definitely not the action actor you are looking for in that particular character.
Meanwhile, my Mum cancelled all this and exclaimed: look how good Alia is in this role with all these new locations. And English movies
So, I guess Mission Accomplished Netflix. :

Last edited by SixPistons : 14th August 2023 at 22:29. Reason: Rephrase, added detail

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks