Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2023, 17:03   #9151
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Barbie: 0 / 5 stars for adults, 5 / 5 stars for kids (especially girls).

Took the girls to Barbie yesterday. Two 10-year olds loved the movie, as did my elder sister. I appreciate the creativity in the movie. But it was damn boring for me. I walked out and spent time at Palladium Social instead .

This one is only for the little girls.

GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 18:22   #9152
Distinguished - BHPian

They Cloned Tyrone: 4/5

"A drug dealer, a pimp and a hoe walk into a bar and shit happens..."

A fantastic, kind-of indie, science-fiction movie with some great acting by Jamie Foxx and the lead John Boyega (of Star Wars fame), with a good mix of comedy and dystopian elements thrown in. This is a great 2-hour watch that always keeps one guessing on what's going to happen next. I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 01:12   #9153
Distinguished - BHPian

THE PLEDGE Netflix

I wonder how come I missed this extraordinary movie all this while !! Just browsing across and found this movie which was directed by Sean Penn, way back in 2001. The ensemble starcast immediately got my attention. The movie cast includes the superlative Jack Nicholson, Aaron Eckhart, Benicio Del Toro (in a shocking appearance), Helen Mirren and the wonderful Robin Wright.

The movie is intense and shocking, both at the same time. Based on a book and which in turn looks like took inspiration from real life instances, the ending is an absolute brute and mind numbing. Jack Nicholson plays a cop who pledges to the parents of a little girl who was found murdered, that he will catch the killer. The genesis of the story starts from this and hence the name of the movie. Some disturbing visuals but the movie has Sean Penn written all over and nothing is left to be said about the great Jack Nicholson. Recommended watch.

Rating: 4/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 09:51   #9154
BHPian

Completed Barbenheimer weekend

Barbie: 1/5
This movie made no sense to me. I don’t know who the target audience was. The concept was understandable but the execution was cringe.

Oppenheimer: 4.5/5
Loved the movie especially because it needed no gimmicks like time travel, dream state etc. Pure high quality story telling and exceptional acting by the characters. Feel like reading the book American Prometheus
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 11:16   #9155
BHPian

Four from my recent watches and I usually go with IMDb rating which evens out after a period of time.

16 Blocks: 6.8/10(Prime) - A typical Bruce Willis movie, less of guns fight though. I just like the hue from 90's and early 2000's movies.

The Program: 6.5/10 (Prime) - Before watching Tour De France, I thought of revisiting the most efficient program that Lance Armstrong and his team did. Good watch, still feel there is much more to this historic saga.

Air: 7/10 (Prime) - About Michael Jordan being brought to Nike to boost their basketball shoes sales. Good watch, but felt that the script was light weight. Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Jason Bateman going back to 1985 to enact the roles felt weird.

Mudbound: 7.8/10 ( Netflix) - Hidden gem, Dark, Slow, War and a typical Mississippi movie. Icing in the cake was the Oscar winning song Might River sung by Mary J Blige during credits.

Last edited by csnanjappa : 24th July 2023 at 11:18.
csnanjappa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 19:57   #9156
Team-BHP Support

Watched Oppenheimer on Fri, and have come to this thread to post about it a few times, but couldn't find the right words.

The movie is extremely well done, without doubt. Absolutely stunning cinematography and spectacular acting, esp. Robert Downey Jr and Cillian Murphy, as with Emily Blunt notably towards the end.

All the scenes depicting Oppenheimer questioning the morality of his invention and their consequences - shot so damn exquisitely, in a way only Nolan can.

Where I wanted more in the movie - the soundtrack. Not that it isn't good, it is! It just doesn't match / exceed the ultra lofty standards set by other Nolan movies, esp. Dunkirk.

4.5/5
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:28   #9157

Found a hidden gem on Hotstar! "Banshees of Inisherin" is set in a remote rural Ireland with stunning landscapes. A man suddenly cuts off his close friend, who is at a loss for the reason. Wonderful.
udaji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:55   #9158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
Found a hidden gem on Hotstar! "Banshees of Inisherin" is set in a remote rural Ireland with stunning landscapes. A man suddenly cuts off his close friend, who is at a loss for the reason. Wonderful.
Just fyi, it was one of the best movies of 2022, winning awards aplenty

Quote:
The Banshees of Inisherin received nine nominations at the 95th Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Farrell), Best Supporting Actor (Gleeson and Keoghan), Best Supporting Actress (Condon), and Best Original Screenplay.

At the 80th Golden Globe Awards, it achieved three wins from eight nominations: Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Actor – Musical or Comedy (Farrell), and Best Screenplay.

Additionally, at the 29th Screen Actors Guild Awards, the film received five nominations, tying the record for the most nominations, previously set by Shakespeare in Love (1998), Chicago (2002) and Doubt (2008).

It also won four BAFTA Awards from ten nominations at the 76th British Academy Film Awards: Outstanding British Film, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Keoghan), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Condon), and Best Original Screenplay.

The film was also named one of the Top Ten Films of 2022 by the National Board of Review.
Source:Wikipedia
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:39   #9159
BHPian

On the Line: Starring Mel Gibson is an edge of the seat Thriller about a cantankerous loud mouthed radio host who has to outwit a dangerous killer who holds his family and his colleagues as hostages. You will get a shock at the end of the movie.

It is not a big budget movie and other than Gibson, all other casts are nondescript - but they deliver a wallop.
Rating: 5/5
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 16:06   #9160
Senior - BHPian

Ezra Miller delivers a remarkable performance as the Flash, portraying the character's determination, vulnerability, and quick-witted charm with impeccable precision. The chemistry between the Flash and the retired Batman (Michael Keaton), adds a layer of emotional resonance to their interactions, captivating from start to finish.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-f2cjoc3acaeigyx.jpg  

Old 27th July 2023, 17:00   #9161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just fyi, it was one of the best movies of 2022, winning awards aplenty
If you liked Banshees then you will love In Bruges. Same director, same leads (Colin Farell, Brendon Gleeson) and incredibly funny, though in a dark way. It's available for rent on Prime Video.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 19:32   #9162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant—2.5 / 5

What’s happening to Guy Ritchie? .
In absolute agreement. The only thing Ritchie-esque about this movie is the music. That's quite spot on Guy Ritchie.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 20:48   #9163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Where I wanted more in the movie - the soundtrack. Not that it isn't good, it is! It just doesn't match / exceed the ultra lofty standards set by other Nolan movies, esp. Dunkirk.
Because those soundtrack standards from Batman trilogy through Dunkirk were set by Hans Zimmer.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 22:34   #9164
BHPian

Just came back after watching Oppenheimer. As a story its good but found it not so taut in running especially needed with non-linear way of story telling. Should have been 2 hour movie.

The background score is worse. It comes with loud noises now and then. Although the actors have done a good job, wouldn't say a great movie. 3/5 would be my rating, just scraping through like the Seltos safety rating
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 15:24   #9165
BHPian

Hi, looking around for the below film for quite some time? Any pointers from the experts as to where I can access it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Im...a_Lacks_(film)
amartya_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks