Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2022, 12:33   #8836
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Awakenings (1990, Netflix)

imdb link:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099077/

imdb summary:
"The victims of an encephalitis epidemic many years ago have been catatonic ever since, but now a new drug offers the prospect of reviving them."

Starring:
Robert De Niro & Robin Williams!

This came as a random suggestion while browsing through Netflix, and with a rating of 7.8/10 with 142k votes on imdb and with a star pairing like De Niro and Williams with a storyline like this and I knew we just had to watch it.

Was not disappointed in the least and what a movie it turned out to be.

It made us smile, laugh and ultimately cry.

Definitely a must watch.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 13:26   #8837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Blood red sky, streaming on Netflix

This is a Netflix original, shot in some European language but is available in English.

A civilian flight lands, is surrounded by military on the tarmac and a little boy jumps out of it. It seems like the pilot is holding all passengers hostage. Or is this entire premise untrue?

My verdict: Brilliant. The twist in the tale was well packaged.

The narrative did sag a bit in the middle, but the suspense and the sense of impending doom for the characters you care for keep you engrossed throughout.

This is a 4/5 in my books, do watch.
Whoa! Went in expecting a aeroplane hijack drama/thriller by this description, and was forced to watch a movie in another genre altogether (especially one which I find not quite to my taste, to put it mildly). I understand that spoilers should not be allowed, but could we at least have some mechanism pointing at the correct sub-genre?
PS: I understand that explicitly naming the sub-genre here would kill the twist altogether, but still... Would save someone a lot of mental anguish!

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 27th November 2022 at 13:30.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 20:39   #8838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Stand by me (1986)

It's on netflix and fully justifies the 8.1/10 rating by over 4,00,000 people on imdb.
I am one of those 4,00,000+ (09/10 from me). Watched it a long time ago (about 30 years back) on VHS for the first time and have rewatched it at least 5 times since. One of the greatest films of the 80s - a timeless, coming-of-age classic.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 13:08   #8839
BHPian

Movie: Black Adam
Rating: 3/5

Rock's movies are generally breezy and entertaining, if nothing else.
This one, however, felt drab and bland. Don't know if it is because of an overdose of superhero movies or because the movie itself was ordinary.
I couldn't connect with any character, and nothing felt at stake.

Wait for the OTT release.
Old 1st December 2022, 01:33   #8840
Senior - BHPian

I watched "The Swimmers" movie on Netflix and liked it a lot. Fantastic acting, good dialogues and just a good heart warming movie based on real life refugees from Syria trying to make it to good life.

IMO, a must watch. 4/5 stars easy.
amol4184 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 23:37   #8841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I watched "The Swimmers" movie on Netflix and liked it a lot. Fantastic acting, good dialogues and just a good heart warming movie based on real life refugees from Syria trying to make it to good life.

IMO, a must watch. 4/5 stars easy.
Based on your recommendation, we watched and loved it.

Did you know the sisters who played the swimmers are sisters in real life as well?

Truly a heart-warming story and a powerful message that if you have the grit, determination and the right attitude, you can achieve anything in life.

I loved the movie primarily also because I like the Arabian/middle eastern background as that culture feels so closer to our culture- Family, Food, Relationships, Emotions etc.

If you are down and need some inspiration to get back on track, watch this movie.

4/5
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 11:15   #8842
BHPian

The Last Stand (2013) - Netflix : 3.5/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-images-59.jpeg

Simple old school small town cop-action movie Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Streaming on Netflix

Loved it for its simplicity and grounded nature. It's just delivers what is expected from such movies.Fast paced, no unwanted drama, some car chases, gunfires, explosion and hand to hand fights, soothing color scheme and not much of cringe scenes.

Definitely worth a watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

PS. Got some decent car scenes featuring a corvette ZR1 and a red Chevrolet Camaro

Last edited by Asish_VK : 7th December 2022 at 11:18.
Old 8th December 2022, 08:20   #8843
BHPian

TROLL - Netflix
I was reeling after watching Ram Setu on Prime, lamenting the wasted opportunity of such a good theme. Wondered if that Captain Vyom/Baal Veer level VFX is the best one could pull off on a 150 cr budget.
Immersed in such thoughts, I watched Troll on Netflix. I love movies of this genre and I had liked its trailer when it was released a few weeks ago YouTube. If you are someone who likes a Kong/Godzilla/Meg type popcorn munching movie that does not take itself seriously, Troll will definitely please you. The English dubbed Norwegian movie has its cliche moments but it does not drag or bore you. It will not win any awards for original ideas(some scenes remind you of the recent Kong and Godzilla movies) but a new monster, good cinematography, and excellent vfx for a B movie will please the monster movie lovers. Clean dialogues and no gore.
This one is definitely a good watchable flick - 3/5
and not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the budget of the movie is 3.5 million dollars(roughly 29 crores rupees).

Last edited by AnnaRocks : 8th December 2022 at 08:24.
AnnaRocks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 10:20   #8844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
TROLL - Netflix
This is on my watchlist and i hope it's as fun as Troll Hunter Another Norwegian movie that came out in 2010.
Old 8th December 2022, 20:48   #8845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
This is on my watchlist and i hope it's as fun as Troll Hunter Another Norwegian movie that came out in 2010.
I assume you are referring to the Found Footage movie where some students are filming trolls with a troll hunter. I have seen it and from whatever I recollect of that movie, this latest one is definitely more fun, although being a totally different genre and filled with cliches. Do watch.
AnnaRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 10:20   #8846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
The Last Stand (2013) - Netflix : 3.5/5

Simple old school small town cop-action movie Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Loved it for its simplicity and grounded nature. It's just delivers what is expected from such movies.Fast paced, no unwanted drama, some car chases, gunfires, explosion and hand to hand fights, soothing color scheme and not much of cringe scenes.
Nice movie and your review sums it up perfectly. Miss watching movies like this
Old 9th December 2022, 13:16   #8847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
TROLL - Netflix
I was reeling after watching Ram Setu on Prime, lamenting the wasted opportunity of such a good theme. I watched Troll on Netflix.
This one is definitely a good watchable flick - 3/5
It is a good watch. I have been watching Nordic films and serials recently. One thing you can see in their movies is - spectacular visuals and unusual camera angles. Their story lines and police procedurals are nowhere near the Americans, but they have grand visuals - you have to admit. Even the ubiquitous drone shots are breathtaking.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 23:13   #8848

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Hehe, you reverted to a more than 12 year old post

Yes, I agree the movie is totally philosophical and I loved every bit of it when I watched it as soon as it got released. The nominations it received for Oscars were well worth it. May be I will just watch it again now since you have reminded me of it with this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Almost 12 years since i reviewed this. My opinion may differ if i watch it again with age. Thanks as it will make me check it again.
So, did it change? Whats the post pandemic verdict on its subtle themes?

PS: I was off here for a while.
crashnburn_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 11:14   #8849
BHPian

Rust Creek (2018) - Netflix 3.5/5

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 287
Size:  26.9 KB

Came across this indipendent survival thriller while browsing through Netflix deciding what to watch.

Plot is familier, lone girl take a wrong route and comes across two hostile locals and trying to survive. Liked the way the story unfolded and the performances of lead actors. The movie was always grounded without much violence or gore. It's a good watch.

Freaky (2020) - Netflix 2.5/5

Name:  images 1.jpeg
Views: 284
Size:  49.5 KB

This was also a random pick. Can be described as a Horror - comedy - slasher - teen movie. A mix of Friday the 13th and Hot Chick.
Have many gore scenes and few innovative slasher scenes. However the performances apart from the leads were below par and no depth for any charecters. Movie will not keep you on the edge of the seat.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 13:41   #8850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Rust Creek (2018) - Netflix 3.5/5

Came across this independent survival thriller while browsing through Netflix deciding what to watch.
Thanks for the tip. Like watching these type of survivor movies

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks