Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2022, 21:35   #8506
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

"CODA" on AppleTV+

Excellent movie that I had been meaning to watch even before it won the Oscar award for Movie of the Year.

The movie is about a fishing family where except for the girl, everyone else is deaf and mute, which means the girl's parents and her brother. CODA means Child of Deaf Adults. The movie is an emotional rollercoaster where one moment you're laughing at the funny hand gestures of the father and the next you're brought near to tears by the helplessness of the entire situation.

Keep a box of tissues handy while watching this movie.

By the way, AppleTV+ has been creating some really excellent content. Unlike Netflix or Amazon, all content on AppleTV+ is original. If you want to see an example of quality over quantity, look no further than AppleTV+. No surprise there that it is the first streaming service to win an Oscar award for movie of the year.

Last edited by amitoj : 5th April 2022 at 21:36.
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 00:43   #8507
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Unlike Netflix or Amazon, all content on AppleTV+ is original. If you want to see an example of quality over quantity, look no further than AppleTV+. No surprise there that it is the first streaming service to win an Oscar award for movie of the year.
CODA is a remake of the French film La Famille Bélier.
avk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 01:50   #8508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
CODA is a remake of the French film La Famille Bélier.
Original as in AppleTV+ production, rather than a collection of already produced serials and movies that Netflix and Amazon have obtained by paying or other arrangements.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 05:18   #8509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Prime)

"On Halloween 1968, Stella and her two friends meet a mysterious drifter, Ramón, and uncover a sinister notebook of stories."

Had no expectation watching this and my wife and i were both pleasantly surprised at this horror movie. We are really running short of horror movies to watch

3.5/5
You seem to be a horror movie fan. I too like this genre. Rare to find folks with this interest. My wife walks out of the room the moment, I put on a horror movie.

What's your recommendation for Top 10 movies on Netflix and Prime? I might find something that I may have not watched yet.

----X----

Just happened to stumble upon this movie

Thin Ice
Amazon Prime
2011 Movie
Rate : 3.5/5

Story of a unsuccessful insurance sales man in wintery Wisconsin trying to make money by hook or crook and even goes to extent of lying and being deceitful.

He stumbles upon a valuable violin in an old man's home who happens to be an insurance prospect. How his life turns upside down after he and some other crooks get to know the real value of that violin forms the crux of this story.

Nice gripping storyline with some nice twists in the end, super winter visuals of the mid-west and great acting by all stars makes this a decent watch.

Motto of story- How greed can screw up a perfectly good life.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:31   #8510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You seem to be a horror movie fan. I too like this genre. Rare to find folks with this interest. My wife walks out of the room the moment, I put on a horror movie.

What's your recommendation for Top 10 movies on Netflix and Prime? I might find something that I may have not watched yet.

----X----
Thankfully my wife is also a horror movie aficionado

As for some good ones on OTT that i have watched would be:

Netflix:
The Ritual
Sinister
Mama
The Unholy
His House
Apostle
Veronica
Don't Listen
Under The Shadow

Series:
Marianne

I have not listed the usual major releases like conjuring and the likes.

In my watchlist:
The old ways
In the tall grass
No one gets out alive
Blood red sky

Shall list out prime videos later

Have a good time.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:41   #8511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Just happened to stumble upon this movie

Thin Ice
Amazon Prime
2011 Movie
Rate : 3.5/5
Movie plot seems interesting. Any link of the movie? I am unable to find it on Prime or IMDB.
Old 6th April 2022, 10:50   #8512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Shall list out prime videos later

Have a good time.
Awesome, Thanks.

Let me create a Horror Watchlist on Netflix that I can enjoy during some late nights or watch it hiding it from wife.

Not sure how many would be available in our region. Hope all are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Movie plot seems interesting. Any link of the movie? I am unable to find it on Prime or IMDB.
I saw this movie just last weekend. Here is the IMDB link :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512240/

Not sure if it's available for India Geo.
Old 6th April 2022, 23:24   #8513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Perhaps that's the issue, the plot/ending is pretty well known to Christie readers. When I went for this movie, I'd already read the story, seen the previous version of the movie, AND watched the TV adaptation. Maybe for someone who hasn't read the book, it would be a much better show. Still worth a watch I think, at home.
True! Normally, modern adaptations of Sherlock Holmes and Lupin take inspiration from the books but change the story substantially but doesn’t seem to be case with either the “Murder on the Orient Express” or “Death on the Nile” - watched both yesterday.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 10:01   #8514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
True! Normally, modern adaptations of Sherlock Holmes and Lupin take inspiration from the books but change the story substantially but doesn’t seem to be case with either the “Murder on the Orient Express” or “Death on the Nile” - watched both yesterday.
Speculating here, but probably because Sherlock is now in the public domain, no one owns the rights to the character or the stories, so any writer is free to take the character in any direction they want to. With Agatha Christie novels, I guess the rights are controlled by the author's estate and they must have certain conditions governing how those characters are portrayed or how the source material is adapted in movies.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 08:33   #8515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And speaking of movies with underwhelming reviews, has anyone watched Morbius yet? The reviews seem uniformly bad.
Should have gone with the reviews, the movie is bad. Avoid.

Takes itself way to seriously, without the character or plot development to support that. This is like a bad sci-fi movie from the 80s. Just doesn't cut it today.
Old 11th April 2022, 09:37   #8516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should have gone with the reviews, the movie is bad. Avoid.
I first heard about this movie when memes started showing up making fun of it. Should I just watch it for the giggles? Like the legendary, Mithunda's gem Gunda. I watched it just for second hand cringe with my niece and had a riot .
Old 11th April 2022, 10:12   #8517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Should I just watch it for the giggles?
It's not even bad in a funny way, it's just a boring movie. Maybe if it was playing on TV on a boring weekend afternoon, would be ok, but otherwise don't waste your time.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 10:19   #8518
BHPian

Some gems from the ones I have watched.

1. Mr. Brooks - A well-respected businessman is sometimes controlled by his murder and mayhem-loving alter ego.
2. The Machinist - An industrial worker who hasn't slept in a year begins to doubt his own sanity
3. Prisoners' - Child kidnap and the hunt that follows
4. The Butterfly Effect - Super natural power that allows the main guy to go back in time and alter his life multiple times.
5. The Good Liar - Cat and mouse game between a con man and a millionaire woman.
Old 11th April 2022, 10:42   #8519
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Exception - Amazon Prime Video

Yesterday, watched 'The Exception' in Amazon Prime Video which is set in the initial years of WW2 and the events of ageing Wilhelm Kaiser who was living in exile narrated (as main story) with the typical romantic story between a German officer and Jewish spy as sub plot. As a a history aficionado, I liked the movie. Please be aware that this is a political drama and there is no war or action scenes in the movie. Also, not suitable to watch with kids due to few explicit scenes.

Last edited by thanixravindran : 11th April 2022 at 10:44.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 11:18   #8520
Senior - BHPian

Caught up Fantastic Beasts - Secrets of Dumbledore in theater. Was an OK watch, better than the previous Fantastic Beast outings. You do get see some connections to the Harry Potter franchise, but that's about it. Would rate it 2.5/5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks