Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 01:15   #8416
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched "Don't Look Up".
Based on a looming apoloclypse level comet impact which going to happen in six months, but two scientists are struggling to convince the people and the government to take the situation seriously.

Very nice attempt at satire on today's world in which people like us are (mis)guided by social media, talk shows, glamour and news. And corporates and politicians use technology to their advantage. Also corporates manage our viewpoints in such a way that we ignore scientific methods and facts.

Highly recommended, not just for the fans of Leonardo Da Caprio.
Risky4327 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 02:21   #8417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
+1. Putting in good word for this movie.
My mom loved it! Of late I look for movies with no cussing / f word bombs (a rarity) and bloody violence and this one fits the bill perfectly.
A movie that you can watch any time with anyone. Some silly one liners by The Rock which made me chuckle too. All in all an excellent inoffensive, fun adventure movie.
4/5 * from me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Also saw Jungle cruise
Have not heard/read good reviews about this, but it's absolutely fantastic! If you liked the mummy and those sorta movies, this is right there.
4+1 star.
The 1 star is for Emily Blunt.
Thanks for the recommendation guys. Watched it and was fun. Perfect one to watch with family on those Sunday afternoons.

Rating: 4/5
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 10:29   #8418
Senior - BHPian

Out of the furnace (Amazon Prime): Bale, Afleck, Dafoe, Harrelson, Zaldana, Whitaker.

With a cast like that, the movie simple as it was, was good to watch. Expected more from the revenge aspect of it but overall can't complain.

3/5

Judas And The Black Messiah (Amazon Prime):

Oh man, the two lead actors really brought their characters to life. Amazing performances.

4/5
Old 7th January 2022, 11:23   #8419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Thanks for the recommendation guys. Watched it and was fun. Perfect one to watch with family on those Sunday afternoons.

Rating: 4/5
Rock gets a lot of hate on social media for being a one trick actor but he is very good at doing the first rule of watching a movie - getting entertained. Can't expect from him to do a Al Pacino kind of acting. I enjoy almost everything he is in.

Did a re-watch of Constantine recently. First saw it when it came 15 years back. That time I wasn't well aware about Constantine and dark arts and stuff so didn't enjoy it much. This time I can really appreciate what a good effort makers did. Wish they could make more sequels as John Constantine is a hell of a character. There is a tv Show Legends of Tomorrow in which Constantine character is played well by Matt Ryan.
Old 7th January 2022, 12:19   #8420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Did a re-watch of Constantine recently. First saw it when it came 15 years back. That time I wasn't well aware about Constantine and dark arts and stuff so didn't enjoy it much. This time I can really appreciate what a good effort makers did. Wish they could make more sequels as John Constantine is a hell of a character. There is a tv Show Legends of Tomorrow in which Constantine character is played well by Matt Ryan.
In a recent TV talk show, Keanu was asked about all the sequels he's been doing and what movie he really wishes he could make a sequel to and he says constantine! And says he really tried to get it going but no luck.

Let's hope it comes out.

The 2014 TV series was also ok but lasted only a season.
Old 8th January 2022, 19:50   #8421
Team-BHP Support

Watched The Lost Daughter on Netflix.

A psychological drama, this has stellar acting from Olivia Coleman. A slow but engrossing film.

4.5/5
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 17:33   #8422
Senior - BHPian

Watched "The Wasteland" a Spanish horror slash period movie on Netflix that leaves you wanting for more in the end, and begs questions on decisions taken by the actors.

The atmosphere built up is great. Towards the end of the movie you start feeling sympathetic towards the characters for putting up with life in such dreary, cold setting. Apart from that, I did not find anything of note or something that will leave a lasting impression. The ending also left me dazed; I am not really a guy for "open to interpretations" movies.

2/5 * from me. Could have easily skipped this and watched repeats of Schitt's Creek or something.
Old 15th January 2022, 19:01   #8423
BHPian

Hotel Transylvania: Transformania

Saw it today to get through the lazy Saturday and I've mixed feeling about this 4th installment in the Hotel Transylvania series. It is good enough as a stand alone movie, but compared to earlier movies, it lacks the comedy and the movie is predictable. The characters are funny as usual, we get to see the human side of the lovable monsters. Overall it is a good watch, you wouldn't regret. I'd rate it 3/5.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 19:38   #8424
BANNED

Just watched Don't look up and I have to disagree with the popular opinion - this film is not high satire. Only thing I took away from this film is how smug the director is to think the masses are morons, easily manipulated and distracted. He probably thinks the same of the audience. If history and evolution is any proof, it only shows that the masses are not stupid and we as a species are quite tenacious and capable of over-coming selfish interests for the greater good.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:56   #8425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Just watched Don't look up Only thing I took away from this film is how smug the director is to think the masses are morons, easily manipulated and distracted.
don't be so hard man, it's just a slapstick. I think it's the best movie to portray Trump presidency and his 'dumb as a doorknob' minions.
doxinboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 11:11   #8426
Senior - BHPian

Peanut Butter Falcon:

[On Prime]

A feel good movie to while away the time. Considering the subject, i felt the movie was taken nicely.

3.5/5
Old 21st January 2022, 13:28   #8427
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watch “Just Mercy” on Netflix India, superb movie based on a true story. Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx give brilliant performances.

Rating : 5/5

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 14:28   #8428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Just watched Don't look up and I have to disagree with the popular opinion...
+1 to that. I couldn't even get to the half-way mark. Forced/over-acting by some normally great actors (high satire doesn't have to mean over-the-top acting does it?), a script that just meanders without getting anywhere. The message might be noble and meant to capture the frustration of a minority voice in an anti-science/pro-happyimage world, but the movie is boring. I'd suggest avoid.

Last edited by am1m : 21st January 2022 at 14:31.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:43   #8429
Senior - BHPian

Dune ( 2021 ), rented the movie on Apple TV+.

I was a little apprehensive before watching the movie since there were many mixed reviews, mostly about the fact that it’s not very easy to understand etc and also about the length of the movie (2 hours and 45 minutes).

However, my 9 year old son and I enjoyed it thoroughly and did not feel bored at any point. I have never been a Star Wars and neither a Marvel fan, but thanks to my son I have seen quite a lot off late, including the Mandalorian, and now I’m also watching the Book of Bobba fett etc. So why am I saying that here? Because the Dune is also set in a different universe, a bit like Star Wars, but it’s also different in a way that it’s a lot more serious in nature.

And it’s supposedly a 2 part film, so the movie does not really have an ending. Anyway, fantastic casting by the director, but i thought they wasted actors like Josh Brolin in a very inconsequential role.

I must say the movie left me a bit intrigued, i recall reading somewhere that it’s based on a book, there is definitely a mystery factor around the whole thing.

One point I discovered later was about the Director, Denis Villenueve, he has directed some fantastic movies such as The Prisoners, Sicario. And my wife was telling me that his another movie, The Enemy starring Jake Gyllenhaal, is also quite good, although I haven’t seen it. He has also done other movies like the Arrival, Blade runner 2049.

I would give it a 3.5/5 overall, do watch it if are a fan of such plots.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:09   #8430
BHPian

Saw The Courier (2020): I deeply like the epsionage/WW2/cold war genre- and am a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch! Disappointingly, Benedict Cumberbatch's acting is sub-par by his own standards, and the others put up a pretty unconvincing performance, the glaring exception being the Russian protagonist (Oleg Pengowski(Merab Ninidze)). Didn't find the movie catchy at all- it even seems to portray KGB as bunch of kids spying on their mates- could not help feel that the investigating officer must have been pretty dumb not to look at the 'bromance' (for the want of a better word, as that's exactly how is portrayed in the movie) blossoming between the two protagonists and not do something about it! So much for the feared KGB!. Found most of the DW documentaries on cold war better at enacting the atmosphere, and more captivating, than this movie.
In spite of a good real-events story, this fails to entertain. With so many good movies depicting the dramatic events of this era, this one is quite forgettable.
2/5 from me.

Saw Spy Game(Brad Pitt, Robert Redford) in the prior week- in spite of being an old movie, that's how the spy movies should be made, really! This one gives a nail-biting thriller finish, and a very satisfying closure.

For someone trying to look at the same cold-war genre movie, with some epic, thought provoking drama, would recommend Hanks' Bridge of Spies', Movies based on Le Carré's novels(Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy), The lives of others etc.

Also from the same genre (not based on real events) with some comedy/comic action thrown in for good measure, can't recommend enough- Guy Ritchie's 'The man from U.N.C.L.E.'

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 23rd January 2022 at 23:20.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks