Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2024, 23:45   #9391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Summit Fever
OTT : Hulu
4/5

Folks who love outdoors, mountains, hiking or climbing would love this movie.

Story of a group of friends who wanted to summit the Mt. Chamonix situated in South East France.

Reaching the summit is an obsession for many crazy enthusiasts and it can become deadly for people who try to push beyond their limits and ignore the nature signs.

Absolutely fantastic "climbing" scenes and great drone shots of the beautiful Chamonix mountains and shows in a very starking way how dangerous these climbing expeditions are and how they can quickly turn into a depressing situation. It's a bit sad in the end but, that's a lesson to learn not to ignore the mighty mountains.

Loved the characters (the popular Ryan Phillips is also casted but, was not the main character) and cute French accents. As said, a lovely movie for outdoor enthusiasts.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th February 2024 at 07:06. Reason: Typo
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 23:16   #9392

Hello All,
Recently joined Team BHP. I have been a big fan of movies, especially Hollywood movies.
Going through the exhaustive list, I can say that I have a huge to watch list now.
Would like to pen down some of my favorite's too, might be repetitive, but still:

I am a big Christopher Nolan fan. Must watch:
1. Inception: This movie is like obsession. I tried to show this to my wife and many close friends, but none of them could continue beyond 20-25 mins, inspite of me telling them how mind blowing this movie is, especially the end.
2. Of course Batman trilogy, especially Dark Knight
3. Interstellar: The concept of time travel combined with space, planets, wormhole and blackhole. What else do you need.
4. Tenet: Reverse/Inverted entropy was a bit too much to handle, still I will decipher this code.
5. The Prestige: This is bit unknow, but I would recommend this solely to see Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman in same movie. Storyline is interesting, must watch once.
6. Back to the future trilogy: For the newer generations, this is must watch. Light hearted comedy.
7. Schindler's list List: WW2 Holocaust movie based on true story. Must watch, I think its Oscar Winner.
8. The girl with Dragon Tattoo: This too is awesome movie. Rooney Mara is brilliant. Cant believe she is the same girl who was in The Social Network.
9. The Social Network: David Fincher as a director is awesome. This is about Facebook.
10. The Hurt Locker: For the sheer brilliance of Jeremy Renner.
11. The Shawshank Redemption: I think everyone knows. I can still hear Andy saying that hope is a good thing. All time classic.
12. Rocky series: I saw this complete series in a day from 9am to 9pm (till Rocky 6).
12. A Beautiful Mind: True story about mathematician John Nash.
13. Silence of Lambs: For Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster
14. Parasite: This is a bit different movie, but good to watch.
Many more: Gravity, The Martian, Ford vs Ferrari, Gone in 60 seconds, Erin Brockovich etc.
Of course all Marvel movies (till Endgame) and other classics.
TORQUEINDUCTION is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 10:55   #9393
Senior - BHPian

Kandahar (Prime)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5761544/

"A CIA operative and his translator flee from special forces in Afghanistan after exposing a covert mission."

After watching the covenant, I took some time to watch Kandahar looking at the seemingly similar plots.

But I was surprised and happy it hardly had anything similar.

Good typical American war/action movie. Butler was good and Ali Fazal as ISI agent did a good job as well.

3.5/5

My Son (Prime)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13234058/

"Driving in the heart of the Highlands, Edmond Murray receives a call from his ex-wife, in tears. Their 7-year-old son went missing from a campsite. Soon it becomes clear that the child was kidnapped and the parents give way to despair."

I like movies acted by James McAvoy so decided to give this a watch. Decent kidnapping movie mixed with family drama. Interesting that James was not given a script as such and had to go by what his co actors were acting/speaking

3/5
Old 15th February 2024, 00:18   #9394
Senior - BHPian

Just watched a 1988 Italian family romantic comedy Moonstruck on Prime and it was good fun. An ideal blend of sarcastic comedy, philosophy, romance and a young Nicolas cage at his handsome best.

An easy 5 stars.

I laughed out aloud when the old man at the end weeps and when asked whats the matter say he's confused

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th February 2024 at 00:44.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 11:09   #9395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Just watched a 1988 Italian family romantic comedy Moonstruck
I haven't watched this but the name immediately made me remember a few stuff that I had mugged up when I used to quiz long back. Cher won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance in this movie.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 11:40   #9396
BHPian

Quote:
Just watched a 1988 Italian family romantic comedy Moonstruck on Prime and it was good fun. An ideal blend of sarcastic comedy, philosophy, romance and a young Nicolas cage at his handsome best.

An easy 5 stars.

I laughed out aloud when the old man at the end weeps and when asked whats the matter say he's confused
It is a beautiful movie indeed. I have watched it quite a few times over.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 13:18   #9397
BHPian

Quote:
This brings back memories. If I am not mistaken it was released at Eros Cinema in Churchgate, Mumbai. I still remember the movie poster (featuring only Cher, no Nicholas Cage ) which we would pass daily while walking to our junior college (plus 2) nearby. Eros and Sterling cinemas used to monopolise the Oscar worthy English movies those days and some of them like Moonstruck would have quite long runs. At that age we were not really into soppy romantic dramas, but out of boredom a few of us decided to watch it. Suffice to say that, when we walked out, we felt that our parents' money could have been better spent.

Couple of years later, Pretty Woman was released and had a similar long run at Eros. What an impression that movie made on us! We went crazy for Julia Roberts after that. How our preferences change with age!
reverse_gear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 19:33   #9398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
US Release Date: December 25, 2023
Starring: Adam Driver, Patrick Dempsey, Shailene Woodley, Penélope Cruz
Director: Michael Mann
Written by Troy Kennedy Martin

Ferrari Teaser Trailer (2023)
I'd rate it 7/10. It was a good watch. The star cast is great too. A someone who has no clue about Ferrari history or racing or the drivers may not find it enthusing.
It could have been much better too but would have become a lengthier movie then. The graphics were not so great and felt low budget/comic.

But the storyline and acting were fantastic given that it is a crisp and short Ferrari historical.
All 3 main actors, Adam Driver, Shaillene Woodly and Penelope don't disappoint as expected. It is yet again in literature as in real life, a wife/partner has a profound impact on the success of a man. Ferrari depicts that strongly as was depicted in Napolean.
Napolean is an epic too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Finally a Jason Statham action movie that seems worth the wait. ‘THE BEEKEEPER’. Hits theaters in January. See the trailer :

https://Youtu.be/SzINZZ6iqxY?si=JESlB6-Hvu47u2bD
The Beekeeper is easily a 7/10. The storyline is fantastic yet simple. Though it is no Kill Bill or even John Wick, it is in a league of its own. I'm hopeful there is a part 2 soon. As with Ferrari, there are some low budget graphics but the story depiction cancels that out. A straight action movie with Jason Statham, a little less than a superhero, in it.
Fuldagap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 23:01   #9399
Senior - BHPian

What are folks' thoughts here about "Everything Everywhere All at Once"? I recently watched that movie and was left with a confused state and bit of a disappointment. Continuous barrage of cut scenes, flashes, noises and chaos got me in the end and pretty much just sat thru waiting for it to finish.

This has happened with me before. I go into a movie with all its accolades in tow and come out shaking my head. May be I should just stop reading reviews and watch with a blank slate.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 05:35   #9400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
What are folks' thoughts here about "Everything Everywhere All at Once"? I recently watched that movie and was left with a confused state and bit of a disappointment. Continuous barrage of cut scenes, flashes, noises and chaos got me in the end and pretty much just sat thru waiting for it to finish.
The movie may be outlandish in presentation, but the core premise is really simple. It’s all about the protagonist finding self-acceptance and mending her relationships with her father, husband and daughter. The multiverse provides a fantastical (even eccentric) setting to explore “what-may-have-been” situations if the protagonist made different choices - something I am sure all of us do especially as we get older.

Here’s a beautiful analysis of the movie -

https://filmcolossus.com/everything-...lained-meaning

Read this, and give the movie a rewatch if you are interested. Helps to make sense of all the goofiness!

Last edited by Pequod : 16th February 2024 at 06:04.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 10:39   #9401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
The Beekeeper is easily a 7/10. The storyline is fantastic yet simple. Though it is no Kill Bill or even John Wick, it is in a league of its own. I'm hopeful there is a part 2 soon.
Statham doing what Statham does best Movie was along expected lines and it was a pretty decent watch.

Except for Statham and the two team leaders (?) of the scam call centers, I felt other actors really were very wooden. Mr Irons felt wasted in this role.

But unlike Kill Bill and John Wick, The Beekeeper has iddqd on permanently and hardly takes a hit
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 11:22   #9402
BHPian

Recently watched Jason Statham in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Not sure if he had acted in a movie before this. Liked it for the funny twist of a story.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 11:39   #9403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Recently watched Jason Statham in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Not sure if he had acted in a movie before this. Liked it for the funny twist of a story.
It is a classic cult, no less. If you liked it then do watch Snatch (2000) too if not already. Both are Guy Ritchie's. I'd rate both 10/10. Snatch features in IMDB top 250.
Fuldagap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 22:19   #9404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Couple of years later, Pretty Woman was released and had a similar long run at Eros. What an impression that movie made on us! We went crazy for Julia Roberts after that.
Pretty Woman is one iconic movie that deserves to be seen by everyone. The aura of Richard Gere playing as that Businessman is something. Julia and Richard were magical.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 22:41   #9405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
If you haven't yet and I shouldn't really scream but - SNATCH!!

I watch that movie every now and then and bought a Blu-ray disc in nice steel book edition. Didn't think I'll ever spend money on something so frivolous but it was worth it because Snatch.

And while you are there,

Layer Cake (great)
RocknRolla (great)
Sexy Beast (good)
Revolver (not a fan, but it has same feel as others)

There must be others but I don't recall now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks