Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 15:11   #9421
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Absolutely! Words cannot ever describe enough how it is to watch both of these. I searched for a prolonged period a movie from any country, any language that could quench my thirst for a similar movie. But i found none. My search is still on. The more said about these two, the less.
Give Layer Cake a try once! It's a polished version on similar themes by Matthew Vaughn and been said by many this movie was the reason Daniel Craig was cast as Bond. I love both the Snatch and LSTSB and have seen them multiple times but would still rate Layer Cake a notch above just for Daniel Craig. Fantastic supporting cast as well.
turbowhistle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 20:39   #9422
BHPian

Another noteworthy director is Quentin Tarantino. Besides his commercially popular films like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, etc. I would like to recommend Death Proof and Grindhouse. In my personal opinion, probably the best B grade movies in human history. Not to be watched with the family and to be watched with a open mind!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th February 2024 at 22:14. Reason: Basterds it is. :)
exhaustpipe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 17:56   #9423
BHPian

Title: The After
OTT: Netflix
4/5

Came across this short movie (18 mins long) on Netflix the other day. Wow! Really struck a chord. Goes to show, you never know what someone is going through. Definitely recommend it.
Cruzn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 00:19   #9424
Distinguished - BHPian

Escape from Mogadishu
OTT : Prime
4/5

I came across this movie which is based on true events that happened in 1990. I thought would move away in short time but, it kept me engaged so continued watching and it turned out to be an amazing movie.

This is story of South Korean and North Korean diplomats caught in a civil war in Mogadishu, Somalia and how they unite (They hate each other from the bottom of their hearts) to escape from that country forms the crux of the story.

As most of the Korean movies, it was directed well, engaging characters and some thrilling action. Especially, the car chase sequence towards the end is one of the best and can go up there with Hollywood levels.

I understand this was shot entirely in Morocco and it’s a wonder how the director created the Mogadishu atmosphere, mob violence and riots which itself deserves solid applause. This movie went on to win 22 awards across various categories in the Asian Film Awards.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd March 2024 at 00:27.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 02:30   #9425
BHPian

Dune - Part 2

A solid 10/10

I am sure this is one of those rare movie that will try to impragnate itself into the IMDB list of top 10 movies of all time. It appears to me that the modern giant IMAX screen with superior surround sound system are made for the movies like Dune - Part 2. I already watched it twice in IMAX this weekend to relish and celebrate the movie going experience.

Dune is a Sci-fi movie based on the novel by Frank Herbert. It can be watched standalone if you have not seen the first part. But for better experience try watching the first part, avaliable on Prime.

While going to watch for the second time, I took my daughter along and told her "you know, when Jurassic Park was released way back in 1993, I watched it in a theater. One day you will say the same about Dune 2" Watch it on the big screen, it is a crime to watch this movie any other way.

Last edited by doxinboy : 4th March 2024 at 02:33.
doxinboy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 09:26   #9426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Dune is a Sci-fi movie based on the novel by Frank Herbert. It can be watched standalone if you have not seen the first part. But for better experience try watching the first part, avaliable on Prime.
Am watching it tomorrow. As pre-work, I watched it on Netflix while fighting a food coma - neither won - never fell asleep and could not figure out the storyline. Ended up multitasking!
Old 5th March 2024, 09:32   #9427
BHPian

Dune 2
Thought would take my daughter to watch this, read the online reviews and was pretty sure most of them were paid/fake. Boy, what a headache this film left me with! I am not a big fan of sci fi films but this one made no sense. Apart from the larger background of some intergalactic empire struggle, the sets, narrative, costume etc were an assault on the senses. Even the action sequences were difficult to relate to as they were so far fetched; people were floating on thin air, that's ok id they did, but then why did they bother walking on the sand in the first place?!

The director borrowed cultural references from all over the place and they just became parodies. Some of the acting was downright funny when they keep talking about the lead actor being a messiah. It was not hard to imagine which faith they had in mind while depicting the so called fundamentalists, but that too became a parody as they had to stop short (for obvious reasons) of making the reference explicit. The gladiatorial scene in the arena was like the Gladiator (movie) mating with 1984 (epic book/film - I apologize George Orwell for dragging you into this!) with a hideous offspring which you want to behead the moment you see it!

@doxinboy - am sorry sir, difficult to compare this jumbled mess to Jurassic Park, that was a proper movie and I would pay to watch it again, if not the sequels.

Only consolation I told my daughter is that you should watch all kinds of films to tell the good ones from the bad.

PS The original dune film came out in 1984 and it was just as incomprehensible. Coming from David Lynch, known for making films few could understand, it was par for the course. Even then it was extreme by his standards

PPS - don't want to hurt anybody's sentiment of you liked the film. Probably wouldn't have written this of it ended in one hour twenty minutes!
hothatchaway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 00:02   #9428
Distinguished - BHPian

American Sniper
OTT : Apple TV+
4/5

Probably reviewed it here before but, I came across this movie directed by the great Clint Eastwood which is based on real events of the most decorated Naval SEAL sniper in American history- Chris Kyle.

He did 4 tours to Iraq and has 160 confirmed kills which is incomparable to anyone else in the sniper history (I assume he is top on kill list).

Fantastic casting of Bradley Cooper who also looks uncannily like the real Chris Kyle and wonderful action sequences.

I'm always amazed with the audio and video quality when I see anything on Apple TV+ as video is Dolby Vision and Audio is lossless and Dolby quality. It's the best experience compared to any other OTT (yup, including Netflix) as the sound of the bullets ricocheting was all over my living room (via. SONOS home theatre system) and I felt like I was part of the action sequences in Iraq (scary thought..huh?...lol!). Apple TV+ has limited content but, it's all extremely high quality from the content and video/audio perspective.

If you like war movies, don't miss this one.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 01:03   #9429
BHPian

Napoleon
OTT: Apple TV
Rating - 6/10 (being generous)

Hard to make a biopic of such an iconic figure, was an okayish film directed by Ridley Scott. Not a film to remember for the ages, some of the things like shooting on the pyramids can be questionable. Also, he was supposed to be a master strategist but strangely it was not very evident in the film and the film spent more time in Napoleon trying to get an heir.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 10:45   #9430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Dune - Part 2

A solid 10/10

I am sure this is one of those rare movie that will try to impragnate itself into the IMDB list of top 10 movies of all time. It appears to me that the modern giant IMAX screen with superior surround sound system are made for the movies like Dune - Part 2. I already watched it twice in IMAX this weekend to relish and celebrate the movie going experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Dune 2
Thought would take my daughter to watch this, read the online reviews and was pretty sure most of them were paid/fake. Boy, what a headache this film left me with! I am not a big fan of sci fi films but this one made no sense. Apart from the larger background of some intergalactic empire struggle, the sets, narrative, costume etc were an assault on the senses. Even the action sequences were difficult to relate to as they were so far fetched; people were floating on thin air, that's ok id they did, but then why did they bother walking on the sand in the first place?!

PPS - don't want to hurt anybody's sentiment of you liked the film. Probably wouldn't have written this of it ended in one hour twenty minutes!
Well, these both are quite contrasting reviews. I am watching it in the afternoon so let's see how it goes. Part 1 was alright so didn't had great expectations anyway.
Old 6th March 2024, 12:07   #9431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Well, these both are quite contrasting reviews. I am watching it in the afternoon so let's see how it goes. Part 1 was alright so didn't had great expectations anyway.
Please do share. With these contrasting reviews, I was confused whether to take the missus (she hasn't seen part-1) or go alone.
We buckled and are going together to watch on IMAX this Sunday. Hope it is fabulous
Old 6th March 2024, 12:53   #9432
Senior - BHPian

The Marvels on Hotstar

OMG, what a snooze-fest. It's just sad to see how terrible the franchisee has become. Superhero overdose is pretty evident.

Please avoid.

Rating : 1/5
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 13:29   #9433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
American Sniper
OTT : Apple TV+
4/5

Probably reviewed it here before but, I came across this movie directed by the great Clint Eastwood which is based on real events of the most decorated Naval SEAL sniper in American history- Chris Kyle.
It is indeed a classic from Clint Eastwood.

Quote:

He did 4 tours to Iraq and has 160 confirmed kills which is incomparable to anyone else in the sniper history (I assume he is top on kill list).
I believe Simo Häyhä, with 542 confirmed kills with an iron sights, is known to be the best sniper. However, I do read articles that say it is Chris Kyle. Confusing.

Quote:

I'm always amazed with the audio and video quality when I see anything on Apple TV+ as video is Dolby Vision and Audio is lossless and Dolby quality. It's the best experience compared to any other OTT (yup, including Netflix) as the sound of the bullets ricocheting was all over my living room (via. SONOS home theatre system) and I felt like I was part of the action sequences in Iraq (scary thought..huh?...lol!). Apple TV+ has limited content but, it's all extremely high quality from the content and video/audio perspective.
Good to know. I am around the corner to replace my LG home theater system and have been caught up in the multitude of reviews. Currently sifting between Sonos, Sony and Bose.

Didn't know the OTT platform made a difference too.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 6th March 2024 at 13:30.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 22:27   #9434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Please do share. With these contrasting reviews, I was confused whether to take the missus (she hasn't seen part-1) or go alone.
We buckled and are going together to watch on IMAX this Sunday. Hope it is fabulous
It's better than the first one. Could have been trimmed a little in the middle. Maybe I liked it more cos I saw the first one again yesterday so this was like a continuity. Whoever is watching the second part after a long gap from first one might not be able to connect a few dots. Let's see how the 3rd part develops.

Overall it's a 8/10 for me.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 22:30   #9435
BHPian

The Light Between Oceans (2016)

Genre: Drama

Must watch for drama lovers. This movie will melt your heart for sure!

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 6th March 2024 at 22:32.
Pferdestarke is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks