Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 14:16   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Saw a movie called '1408' last night on Star Movies. Never been a horror movie fan, have always felt like laughing. But this one was good. It isn't exactly a horror movie, but gave me the goosebumps for a while. A must watch if you are a ghost freak.
starring : John Cusack
You would have liked it more in the cinema hall. Its not a typical horror movie but the sound effects and direction makes it a worth watch.

the International- Saw this on saturday. Was expecting much much more. Nothing new or worthy to talk about. The climax was expected. You can give it a pass easily.

Rating- 2.5/5

Edit- @Eddy- just saw your message and i agree completely with it.
OT- Daredevils are favs to win IPL now

Last edited by harry10 : 18th May 2009 at 14:18.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:21   #377
Senior - BHPian

Some of my favourites:
Dead Poets Society
Life is beautiful
The Shawshank Redemption
Babel
The Usual Suspects
The story of David Gale
A Walk To Remember
Primal Fear
Hide & Seek
Schindler's List
Old 18th May 2009, 14:53   #378
BHPian

Movies i have seen in the last couple of weeks.

The uninvited 4/5
Gran torino 4/5
Bangkok dangerous 1/5
The Orphanage 4/5
The International 2.5/5
Match point 3/5 (Slow movie but worth watching. Has Scarlett Johansson in it )
Old 18th May 2009, 15:21   #379
Senior - BHPian

Bangkok Dangerous! 2.5/5
Cant remember any great scene from it. Moral: Dont mix work and play/fun.

1408: 3.5/5
Story about a hotel room which is supposedly a scary place to spend the night. An author who writes about scary places/hotels/houses intends to check out this hotel room amid opposition from the hotel staff. You end you confused if all's a hallucination or so. Very interesting film.

@anurag: love the Amy scene at bus stand in Crank 1 . That was wicked.

@ Ayan: Usual Suspects is one among my favorites. I bet it should have lot of fans here too other than me.

Last edited by jkdas : 18th May 2009 at 15:23.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:25   #380
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah i remember watching 1408 in theater. It was a very interesting, different kind of horror movie. It isnt exactly a horror film. Its more of a thriller kinds. I liked Cusack's acting in this one.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:33   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Over her dead body

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-phmypsqrmtb5pt_l.jpg

Saw "Over her dead body" last night.

Starring Lake Bell (Slightly horsey face IMO but a nice body as you can see)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-lakebell1024x76826455.jpg

and Eva Longoria (in yet another bitchy role)

Don't expect too much from this romantic comedy.

Eva Longoria dies on her wedding day and comes back as a ghost and funny/stupid things ensue. It is OK for a light evening when you don't want to think and simply want to smile without thinking.

Also a good "let's-do-nothing-special-this-evening-just-relax" kind of movie.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 18th May 2009 at 15:36.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:06   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Usual Suspects is one among my favorites. I bet it should have lot of fans here too other than me.
I couldn't understand Usual Suspects the first time. After 2nd viewing the things fell into place and this movie is now alongside Reservoir Dogs in repeat value for me. Kevin Spacey was superb. Did you watch the Bollywood apology of its remake called Chocolate?
Old 19th May 2009, 11:44   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week caught up with 3 movies :-

Stomp the Yard : Black Actor's movie with a lot of street dancing. Some of the dance moves are really good. Otherwise, it can be given a miss. Giving one only because of Megan Good, she is utterly butterly delicious !!! 1/5

Biker Boyz : Another black actors and biking movie with no head or tail to its story. However, some stunts are good. I am suprised what the heck Laurence Fishburne is doing in this movie. He seems so out of place as a pro biker. Coincidentally, this movie again can be seen only for Megan Good, after a long long time. I am seeing such a lovely black lady. 2/5

Urban Justice: A Steven Seagal movie and a terrific one at that. Though, SS looks quite old and heavy faced, his moves are just remarkable in this movie. Some fight scenes are simpy superb. I am a huge fan of Mr.Seagal so I'll give it a rating beyond the wildest imagination of people who consider him oily moily. 4/5
Old 19th May 2009, 12:07   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally had a chance to see the much-anticipated Milk.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-milkthemovieseanpenn.jpg

The biography of Gay politician and activist Harvey Milk, the first gay man to be elected to a major public office in the USA.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-milk_movie_image_sean_penn_as_gay_rights_icon_harvey_milk.jpg

Set in the 1970's - the movie also has some explicit, romantic and tender male-male scenes so I would not recommend it for viewing with younger audience.

Needless to say, an excellently directed movie, worth every little presence at the Academy Awards. This is the second Oscar® featured movie I saw that I felt was way better than Slumdog. Sean Penn delivers a stunning performance, again.

I definitely feel it is worth a watch. A emotionally-heavy movie that leaves you overwhelmed and in thought for a while. This movie touched my heart.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:17   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am a huge fan of Mr.Seagal so I'll give it a rating beyond the wildest imagination of people who consider him oily moily. 4/5
Good! People should stand by what they like.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:21   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Biker Boyz : Another black actors and biking movie with no head or tail to its story. However, some stunts are good. I am suprised what the heck Laurence Fishburne is doing in this movie. He seems so out of place as a pro biker. Coincidentally, this movie again can be seen only for Megan Good, after a long long time. I am seeing such a lovely black lady. 2/5
You got to be kidding me, that's such a brilliant movie, one of the best bike movies so far, much better than the stupid Torque.
But then again you have to be a biker at heart to appreciate that movie
Old 19th May 2009, 13:09   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You got to be kidding me, that's such a brilliant movie, one of the best bike movies so far, much better than the stupid Torque.
But then again you have to be a biker at heart to appreciate that movie
Hmmm. Apart from straight line drag race, and a scene where the newly formed gang goes haywire on the road and do wheelies,stoppies etc what else was new????

From a biking movie, i expect some heart stopping chases on twisty curvy highways not some straight line drag races which didnt excite me much.

Also, story was so pathetic, it looked as if it was lifted straight from an old manmohan desai movie ( When LF comes to know the young fella he is racing is actually his son and lets him win the final drag...oufff too much)
Old 19th May 2009, 13:16   #388
Senior - BHPian

Finally got time to watch some movies as i had 2 days off from college.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-descentposter.jpg

The Descent - A group of women go Caving but things go terribly wrong as they enter those caves where Unimaginable horror awaits them.
Its about there struggle to survive and escape the cave.
Highly entertaining and the whole part inside the cave is breathtaking.
Hard to believe it was just a film set and not actual caves.
A must watch for fans of this genre.!
Am waiting for part 2 now.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-machinist.jpg

The Machinist
-A worker in a factory who has chronic Insomnia begins to see things which make him doubt his sanity.
One look at Christian bale and you will figure out how serious and weird this movie will be.
Highly recommended.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 19th May 2009 at 13:20.
Old 19th May 2009, 13:16   #389
Senior - BHPian

Well the movie is more about the underlying rules of Biking world & understanding the code that Bikers follow. It shows the difference between grown up bikers & the amateur ones. The movie is not about the stunts & circus which is done on bikes, there are other movies for that.

Like I said you have to be a biker by heart to see the underlying message
Old 19th May 2009, 13:21   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Like I said you have to be a biker by heart to see the underlying message
Sure, I may not be Stoner and you definetly cannot be the Doctor so lets not get into a discussion about being a biker to understand that movie.

I felt it was too amateurish and LF certainly didnt fit into that role since he looked too old too run around leading a SBK group. Whereas people of his age in the biking gang world are mostly seen on cruisers. Anyways, that's just my opinion.

Peace

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks