Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2023, 21:11   #4336
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Jawan : 3.5/5

Very nice movie, it may seem 2000s, very Om-Shaanti-Om like, little unrealistic, dramatised, full of factual flaws of how the Govts & Economies work, but it's a masala entertainer. At most, simple minded Indians will look beyond personality obsession & objectively study the shortfalls to push Govts. to do better.

All democracies worldwide have faults, and people can't run away from rectifying them maturely beyond a point.

Also, why do all villain characters have to work from Russia ?

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 8th September 2023 at 21:30.
Old 8th September 2023, 23:57   #4337
BHPian

Jawan 3.5/5

Watched Jawan at Gaiety Cinema (Bandra) and its an out and out masala movie. Those who are aware of Gaiety & Galaxy Theatres, would know why such movies and single screens are match made in heaven. There are a lot of flaws in the script, however the screenplay is fast and keeps you entertained. Social message is good but I felt it to be shown over the top (may be its required in today's time) Apart from one song, none are catchy. Single screens have horrible audio system so I found it difficult to understand few dialogues especially of Sethupathi. Nostalgic feeling, of bad single screen theatres, whistling and shouting and then A1 samosas at just Rs.50
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 02:17   #4338
Distinguished - BHPian

Jawan - 3/5

Watched it today. As others have said, it is a mass entertainer. But too many characters (who don't get good roles) and the social messages felt a drag at times. The funny scenes, comic timing and the action sequences on the bikes were the good bits. Far better than Pathan.
Old 9th September 2023, 17:01   #4339
BHPian

Jawan - A mindless South Indian movie with the usual low level action and too much melodrama in between. You will laugh at how silly this movie is and if you have seen Pathaan, you will struggle to decide which is worse! If you thought Salman's entry in Pathaan was funny, you should watch Sanjay Dutt's entry in Jawan. Atleast Pathaan had good songs, this has none. It just pains to see SRK in these type of movies, trying to look young and do action. Vijay Sethupathi as villain doesn't look menacing for one second, Nayanthara looks good, Sunil Grover as her assistant is a joke, Deepika's role is limited, Sanya Malhotra's role is negligible. The only good thing about Jawan is the message to vote wisely and not fall for propaganda which again is not unusual. I would rate it 2/5.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 22:25   #4340
BHPian

Jawan - 3.5/ 5

Definition of a massy entertainer. Its combines basic commercial Tamil/ South cinema with the brute starpower of SRK. The plot is nothing you havent seen (though has its own twists) and the film has its share of flaws - but its a seeti-maar, paisa-wasool type of movie.

The film rests on SRK's shoulders - his charisma, screen presence and sheer ability to tug at your heart strings - is on display full-on. Vijay Sethupathi while not menacing has played his part well in his own distinctive style. Nayanthara is good and competent in her role.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 16:20   #4341
Senior - BHPian

Haddi

Streaming: Zee

I could not understand why this movie was made, there is nothing coming out the story. Nawaz did carry the movie through out but his acting wasn't coming out real. Anurag Kashyap was in his usual loud mouthing, no other known actors who made an impact. Can be given a miss unless one wants to watch it for Nawaz

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 19th September 2023, 00:52   #4342
Distinguished - BHPian

Jawan- 2.8/5

After watching Pathaan in the movie hall, I was skeptical about going for Jawan. But after reading the reviews I went ahead.

The story line is good, but the execution is poor. Few unnecessary songs and melodrama spoilt the otherwise serious movie plot. This movies reminds me of the movie 'The Wednesday' which was any-day a better/intense watch than this. But I will rate Jawan far better than Pathaan.
With better execution I would have definitely rated this a 4 star.

Last edited by Samba : 19th September 2023 at 00:58.
Old 19th September 2023, 11:29   #4343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
This movies reminds me of the movie 'The Wednesday' which was any-day a better/intense watch than this.
With SRK you cannot make a movie like A Wednesday. He has a fan following due to his melodrama, action and over the top masala he brings on the screen. Probably yes Jawan was better than Pathaan, but there must be something that such movies appeal the mass and they make 500 CR +
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 13:40   #4344
Senior - BHPian

His dialogue in the train is exactly that of A Wednesday
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
With SRK you cannot make a movie like A Wednesday. He has a fan following due to his melodrama, action and over the top masala he brings on the screen. Probably yes Jawan was better than Pathaan, but there must be something that such movies appeal the mass and they make 500 CR +
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 09:41   #4345
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Surprising dearth of good shows right now! Eagerly waiting for Mirzapur 3 & others.

So watched a movie instead.

Jaane Jaan, Kareena Kapoor's debut on streaming. Rating it 3.5 stars out of 5 and will say it's worth a watch if you like crime thrillers. Very different kind of murder story, set in beautiful Kalimpong and Darjeeling. Makes me want to go to the mountains right away. Kareena is good, but Jaideep Ahlawat is awesome (his fake-looking hairdo aside).

Overall, a timepass watch while we wait for something better.

GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 01:12   #4346
BHPian

The Hindi Movies Thread-images-25.jpeg

Jane Jaan 2023 - Netflix 4/5

Murder mystery streaming in Netflix. Watched it yesterday and liked it.
Beautifully acted by all the 3 lead actors. Nice slow paced movie with beautiful cinematography and color grading. Worth a watch.
Asish_VK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 08:12   #4347
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaane Jaan: Only when I started watching, realised that it is based on the book- 'Devotion of suspect x'. I had already read the book and the movie is a very faithful adaptation. Hence the element of surprise was lost and I knew what will happen.

Still a well acted and well shot movie and a very good watch.

On a side note, when Drishyam first came out( the original Malayalam version), there was a lot of controversy that it is copied from this book. That's how I came to know about the book and read it. Apart from a couple of the high level plot elements, it was very different.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 10:41   #4348
Senior - BHPian

Yes, and was made with Julia Roberts in the lead: Sleeping with the enemy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Jaane Jaan: Only when I started watching, realised that it is based on the book- 'Devotion of suspect x'. I had already read the book and the movie is a very faithful adaptation.
Old 24th September 2023, 22:49   #4349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yes, and was made with Julia Roberts in the lead: Sleeping with the enemy
No. Sleeping With the Enemy came out in 1991 while the Japanese novel “The Devotion of Suspect X” was published in 2005.

Saw “Jaane Jan” today, and while the movie is an ok one time watch, it’s a very poor adaptation of the novel.
Old 25th September 2023, 10:32   #4350
Senior - BHPian

You're right its inspired by another book. But have you watched Sleeping With The Enemy? It's the same story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Saw “Jaane Jan” today, and while the movie is an ok one time watch, it’s a very poor adaptation of the novel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks