Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2023, 08:23   #4306
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched Bawaal and found it bizzare on too many levels. Especially the trivialising of several WW2 incidents to drive a resolution of incidents in the protogonists life.

Acting of the lead pair also was average.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 11:21   #4307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Watched Bawaal and found it bizzare on too many levels. Especially the trivialising of several WW2 incidents to drive a resolution of incidents in the protogonists life.

Acting of the lead pair also was average.
Strangely I found the movie title having no relevance to the movie subject. Lot of topics seems to be stuffed in the plot - education, history, medical condition etc. Hotch pot of a sort. However I found the acting by lead pair Okayish although Varun Dhawan is known for hamming unnecessarily in many of his movies. I would still recommend for a one time watch due to the human & emotional angle factor.

Rating: 3/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 23:45   #4308
BHPian

Watched Shiv Shastri Balboa and it was a really fuuny and wholesome movie, i haven't watched a bollywood movie in the past year or two but while scrolling on amazon prime saw that it was starring Anupam Kher so had to watch it and i really liked it.

Would rate it 7/10.

Last edited by revvharder : 29th July 2023 at 23:47.
revvharder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 02:34   #4309
Distinguished - BHPian

'Tarla' on Zee5

It's a one time watch. Felt a bit monotonous at places, but overall it was good.

Will rate 3/5.

'Kohrra' on Netflix

Finished the web-series in one go. A bit slow, but overall it was an intense watch, though I felt the ending to be a bit predictive from the last few episodes.

Will rate 3.5/5

'The Trial' on Hotstar

Watched it for Kajol's acting. As usual her acting was good, but the web-series lacked a strong story.

Will rate 2.5/5

'IB71' on HotStar.

If it's truly based on a true story, then I must say, luck was indeed a major factor, or may be the lack of communication which we can't imagine in today's date. But overall it was a good watch, till the last moment the suspense was on. In the beginning it was a bit slow, but the ambience (Kashmir) compensated it.

Will rate 3.5/5.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 31st July 2023 at 13:32. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 22:43   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Watched Rocky Aur Rani ki prem kahaani.

Been almost 3.5 years since we went for any masala bollywood movie in a theatre, so missus wanted to try this. Alia was good and so were most of the characters. But Ranveer Singh, god!!! I just can’t stand the guy. For him, Overacting would be an understatement. He was so loud & over the top that we had a headache by the time it was over.

Movie was typical Karan Johar affair. Used a lot of old songs, truck loads of emotional scenes.

Reminded me why we stopped watching these kinda movies 3.5 years ago. Lesson learnt

Rating: 2/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th August 2023 at 23:10.
SoumenD is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 12:56   #4311
Senior - BHPian

It was not-stop chitrahar and antakshari session giving me quite a headache. There is no script to speak of, just gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
But Ranveer Singh, god!!! I just can’t stand the guy. For him, Overacting would be an understatement. He was so loud & over the top that we had a headache by the time it was over.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 09:43   #4312
Senior - BHPian

So guys who have seen, which one to pick among OMG 2 and Gadar 2 for 15th August?
Old 13th August 2023, 19:43   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
So guys who have seen, which one to pick among OMG 2 and Gadar 2 for 15th August?
Based on the feedback from my friends, etc. I went for OMG2. Indeed a thought provoking movie. It touches upon a critical & sensitive subject. Worth a watch IMO!

Would suggest to watch Gadar2 on OTT.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 16:57   #4314
Senior - BHPian

Every once in a while, the mind craves for doing something stupid.

A good long weekend with traffic jams towards Lonavala and Mahabaleshwar, going on a long drive was out of question. A close friend of mine was in a similar quandary, so he called me up yesterday and we decided to consciously do something that would be an enormous waste of time and money, then sit and discuss about it in a loud bar over a couple of drinks.

So we watched Gadar 2; The Katha continues

Below is my straight-from-the-heart opinion

Spoiler Alert: Handpumps are safe. Electric poles, not so much ...

When I watched Gadar 1, I was in 9th standard, a tender age where you are starting to get attracted to the opposite gender, gaining some sort of masculinity with increasing seniority and trying to focus on academics admist all these hormonal changes. Considering all the ruckus created in cinema halls all over India, our squad back then went and watched it in a theatre skipping tuitions after school. Amisha Patel anyway had us all go weak in the knees, so that was an added incentive. It touched all the right nerves: the pride of our motherland, love for a person, the righteous screaming, twisting, tearing, flinging of bad humans in air by our hero. There was a good reason for it. Read its plot on Wikipedia and you come to know that it is full of well scripted twists and turns along with the usual stuff that makes Bollywood, Bollywood. Good songs, dance, funny scenes, over-the-top drama and a god-like action figure whom we all venerate and take comfort in.

I did not step in the hall expecting any of it this time. All we wanted was to laugh our a**es off, see how the cast has aged and relive those 22 year old memories and boy, Gadar 2 did not disappoint at all! For the 90's kid, Gadar 2 achieves the rare feat of using phrases : 'complete waste of money' and 'paisa wasool entertainer' in one sentence.

The Cast:

I got home, downloaded everything on my wife and asked who is that guy playing the role of Jeete. Turns out, he is the same kid who helped Tara Singh run a steam engine 22 years ago. The director's son Utkarsh Sharma. Back then and even today, when Sunny Deol delivered a dialogue, you would listen with occasional shivers running down the spine. His build, loud voice and angry eyes still have that magic that is making people throng theatres on tractors.

It appears Utkarsh Sharma is a learned actor (learned acting in US and the UK ) and does just about fine in the first half, but fails at delivering the kind of rage that Sunny Deol does so effortlessly in those adrenaline pumping scenes. All is forgiven though as the movie is not about judging him for academic purpose. Amisha Patel back then was forgiven considering our tender age and needs, but this time, we really got to see her acting skills closely. Again, the fact of the matter is, no one is going to care! Manish Wadhwa playing Major General Hamid Iqbal looks and acts the part of being a ruthless and cruel leader. Sunny Deol and Manish Wadhwa being the perfect hero and villain pair bring life to the movie, something similar to what the great Amrish Puri and Sunny Deol did in 2001! Oh, almost forgot, the girl Simrat Kaur does nothing much other than looking good. Nothing much is expected of her.

All in all, if one can get through the first half (scroll through X [Twitter] or instagram merrily while its on), the second half is fun to watch in its own way. Go with your best team who is going to watch it just for fun and not like a jury of academy awards and you are fine. We the 90's kids enjoyed it

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th August 2023 at 17:39. Reason: Thanks for the heads up, not for the plot! :)
NiInJa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 18:02   #4315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Have not watched Gadar 2 yet, bit did watch OMG 2 yesterday. And I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. One of the best movies I have seen this year with top notch performances from the cast.
Old 14th August 2023, 18:56   #4316
BHPian

OMG 2:

The irony is the film is rated A but the message the film tries to convey is mainly meant for the teens and young adults. No wonder Pankaj Tripathi said "Iss film ko A milna, surprise tha humare liye. Thoda malaal hua ki jis age-group ko yeh film dekhni chaiye, 12-17 saal ke, woh nahi dekh payenge".

Nice film with excellent acting by Pankaj Tripathi, as usual.

Rating : 4/5
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 19:14   #4317
Senior - BHPian

OMG2

Needless to say my expectations were a little high considering the first one was such a good entertainer with a message. This one matches it or I may say even surpasses it in social message awareness.

Pankaj Tripathi is soul of movie. Akshay in his few scenes did a lot better than he has been doing off late. Support cast was equally good. Serious scenes hit the right tone and the humour when applied was absolutely brilliant.

I went for a 9 am show today and Hall was jam packed. Lots of clapping on some scenes. Great fun to start the holiday.

Rating- 4.5/5
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 15:34   #4318
BHPian

OMG 2 :

The Movie starts off in a very serious tone and that is the main message of the movie. The way they have taken the message to be conveyed was in a very comical way.

Pankaj Tripathi as usual as shown exceptional acting skills . The way he delivers every dialogue was very comical and thought provoking at times . The message which they wanted to deliver would have definitely reached the audience .

I would rate it 4/5.

For info : You should know pure hindi for better understanding or else you will be left scratching your head at times .
sriniadk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 09:24   #4319
BHPian

Gadar 2

Although I have not mustered up courage to watch the movie, found following hilarious review of it, certainly worth a read -

https://www.quora.com/What-is-your-r...it-Aggarwal-21

Per review - movie is beyond ratings!

Last edited by Acharya : 17th August 2023 at 09:30.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 04:00   #4320
Distinguished - BHPian

OMG 2- Theatres

2/5 ( Purely for Pankaj Tripathi and Pavan Malhotra's acting)

I will go against the tide from other reviewers of this movie.

We went to the movies after almost 6-months and it was a wrong decision to choose this movie as I felt the movie was crass and gross in many scenes in the guise of "social message".

If we take the theme seriously, the story in short is "Sex Education" should be taught in school (graphically and visually) to small kids which is an absolutely ridiculous claim.

There is a reason it's not part of the syllabus of any educational system in the world. There are many scenes & dialogues which are embarrassing to be viewed with family or children.

My recommendation is to avoid this movie if you want to see with your family. My mom was little bit upset and wouldn't have come if sh knew of the topic of the movie. (Unfortunately, even I was blindsided as I didn't know the topic myself.)

Feel good feelings are just fleeting moments while the movie predominantly remains "Crass"
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks