Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 09:15   #1381
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Which watch do you own?

Ref Chinese Watches - replicas/ fakes/ knock-offs of the big name brands like Omega, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, Cartier, Longines etc.

The Chinese quartz watches which run on batteries are decent enough - if viewed primarily as watches and leaving aside the brands, which they are replicas/ fakes/ knock-offs of.

Their Automatic Watches are also just about ok, some appear to have a practical power reserve of anywhere between 2 to 24 hours depending quite simply on the luck of the draw!

Actually, while they are all replicas/ fakes/ knock-offs and I really don't like, endorse or use them personally, a lot of people seem to like them and want them.

Hence they make reasonably good gifts! Some office colleagues and so on, really appreciate them.

The cost per piece for a "decent" quality with all the details correct on the piece, can be between 100 - 180 RMB - around Rs 900 to 1600 - give or take.

More or less the price of a Titan Sonata and indeed some Timex watches too!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th July 2012 at 09:18.
Old 30th July 2012, 09:28   #1382
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ref Chinese Watches - replicas/ fakes/ knock-offs of the big name brands like Omega, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, Cartier, Longines etc.

------
------

The cost per piece for a "decent" quality with all the details correct on the piece, can be between 100 - 180 RMB - around Rs 900 to 1600 - give or take.

More or less the price of a Titan Sonata and indeed some Timex watches too!
This seems to be the trend in our office too and my colleagues actually boast of acquring a Rolex or an Omega for peanuts. What these people and many others don't realize is that China too is producing some great movements in Seagull and pretty reliable too for automatics/self winders. These movements also go into some Polish, US and German watches because of the cheap costs. A similar ETA movement will cost these makers twice the cost of the watch itself. Ofcourse the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired but they are way better than the fakes/replicas. I saw a Seagull in person and it was not bad and must say impressive for the price.
Old 30th July 2012, 12:22   #1383
BANNED

Many colleagues in previous organizations where I ve worked, used to ask for replica watches, right from 2005-2006 when a lot of people including me, started travelling to China on work.
And it was quite amazing indeed to go to those multi storeyed buildings in various parts of China including Shanghai and Guangzhou and Shenzen etc where floor after floor is full of lines of people working diligently and producing knock offs by the zillion!
I do know that many of the movements (both automatic and quartz) etc actually sourced from China these days. But in terms of "A thing of beauty being a Joy forever" no knock off can come close to an original Swiss Made Automatic Watch from pretty much any brand from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
This seems to be the trend in our office too and my colleagues actually boast of acquring a Rolex or an Omega for peanuts. What these people and many others don't realize is that China too is producing some great movements in Seagull and pretty reliable too for automatics/self winders. These movements also go into some Polish, US and German watches because of the cheap costs. A similar ETA movement will cost these makers twice the cost of the watch itself. Ofcourse the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired but they are way better than the fakes/replicas. I saw a Seagull in person and it was not bad and must say impressive for the price.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th July 2012 at 12:23.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:01   #1384
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But in terms of "A thing of beauty being a Joy forever" no knock off can come close to an original Swiss Made Automatic Watch from pretty much any brand from there.
No doubt about it. An ultimate grail watch cannot be other than a Swiss Made or a high end German Made (GO, A&S) automatic/hand wound. You know for sure that the watch has been made ingeniously by the best watchmakers using the best precision movements.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:06   #1385
BANNED

Add France to the list of fine Watch Making countries.

My wife, on her travels to China-land has been bringing back a number of knock offs of late for my colleagues at my request. All of them are singularly attractive and appreciated so far.
But, the pleasure for me, is not there at all because they are knock offs.
I would rather own just a few first class time-pieces than a zillion fakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
No doubt about it. An ultimate grail watch cannot be other than a Swiss Made or a high end German Made (GO, A&S) automatic/hand wound. You know for sure that the watch has been made ingeniously by the best watchmakers using the best precision movements.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:46   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Got this one yesterday

Which watch do you own?-photo-290712-11-50-42-pm.jpg
Old 30th July 2012, 17:52   #1387
BHPian

I have a rolex that my dad gifted to me 12 years ago (I saw the same model in a rolex shop in CP for 11 lacs) and an IWC Portofino. I also have an Omega Constellation that my grandfather owned and wore for 30 years till his death in 1997.
Old 30th July 2012, 18:01   #1388
BHPian

I have an Espirit watch. Prior to that I had a Swatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Got this one yesterday

Attachment 963606
Nice! I gifted that to my dad recently.

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th July 2012 at 18:26. Reason: back to back posts. Next time infraction. Read rule 5.b
Old 31st July 2012, 07:11   #1389
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
and an IWC Portofino.
That's a great watch mate. Mind posting some wrist shots pls? Personally I prefer the portuguese in the IWC family.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:43   #1390

Bought Recently
Titan Obaku Series
Got 50% offer on this

HAPPY
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-9415sl01.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2012, 15:08   #1391
Distinguished - BHPian

Gifted this Titan watch to my mom on her birthday on August 1st, 2012 and after 30% discount it came for Rs.5000

I gifted the same watch 4 days earlier ( July 27th, 2012) to my sister and only difference was inside dial was white and it had costed me then for Rs.5600 after 20% discount.

Aug 1 onwards an additional 10% discount was offered.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-599624_3446609096175_1588872188_n.jpg  

Old 6th August 2012, 19:30   #1392
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I came across this video which explains watch making in simple terms. Beautiful video. Its about 20 mins long, take your time :-)

Old 7th August 2012, 19:20   #1393
Distinguished - BHPian

I got this impromptu gift from wifey on last sunday for being patient with her shopping

Price : Rs.6995
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-my-new-acquisition-_.jpg  

Old 7th August 2012, 19:30   #1394
Senior - BHPian

I got this for my birthday last year. Absolutely fell in love with it's mechanical/industrial looks the first time I saw it.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-3.jpg  

Old 7th August 2012, 19:59   #1395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I got this for my birthday last year. Absolutely fell in love with it's mechanical/industrial looks the first time I saw it.
Wow Vikram, this one rocks! Any idea about its price?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks