Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 23:03   #2311
Senior - BHPian

GTO, I'm really glad you're responding to many requests here. Looking forward to seeing those Volvo reviews
Old 17th June 2009, 11:42   #2312
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
How about having names of persons browsing a thread at the bottom of teh thread? Some forum software has this feature.
Correct, our software does have this feature. However, it is a very server intensive task. Considering that the value provided is minimal, we have switched this feature off.
Old 17th June 2009, 13:42   #2313
BHPian

Can monthly stats for most visited or threads started in a forum section be put up in a separate thread. I have a feeling that off late, shifting gears is seeing lot of action.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:06   #2314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
...When the images gets re-compressed, the original image quality is not preserved. You can see jpeg artifacts around sharp edges of the subject in the image....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
....We do not have any resizing / compression enabled on the server (AFAIK)....
Actually GTO, as you have mentioned the original images are untouched on our server -- however, when the "original" image is watermarked and served to the viewer as a new file, the watermark overlay process causes some recompression. (This was discussed a long time back in the non-auto image thread.)

Clevermax, if quality is critical, i guess one solution is as greenhorn had posted, which is acceptable as long as you have also uploaded the content to Team-BHP's server :

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
1.link to the high res pics hosted elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Could we have some kind of time limit for sensational matters .... Say 10 days or something. Keeping in mind the basic intent of T-BHP forum.....
PP,

Threads like the shiney one die natural deaths anyway, hence a requirement for a time limit might not be necessary. Also, we are unable to apply a time limit for threads unless it applies to all the threads in that section.

Even though the shifting gears section is for off-topic (non-auto) discussions, the moderators do exercise their discretion on what sort of content can and should be posted in that section. If Team-BHP members ever do see a thread that they do not think is worthy of being on the forum, please do REPORT POST to bring it to the moderators attention.

cya
R
Old 18th June 2009, 13:45   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Way too many non-auto related topics in discussion. Can those be avoided?.just my 2 cents. They don't hamper me though.
It is silly to see a thoroughly automotive website having a discussion about Shiney Ahuja!. Not happening.
Also, there are way too many threads discussing similar topics. can those be clubbed together or something?
I'm a thorough Team BHP addict. i know that for sure.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:31   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Chetta..

Years back t-bhp allowed embedding images hosted in other domains. But as we know, this is against the rules now.. That's the reason I posted such a suggestion.
The convention followed on most forums is that you post the low quality photo / thumbnail on the forum server and the high quality pic on an appropriate external host.
Old 18th June 2009, 21:55   #2317
BHPian

Commercial Activity:

OK having received an infraction recently got me thinking quite a bit.

1) I had clearly stated that what I was doing was on a personal level, to help members on the forum, however due to a commercial tie-up...Anyway I have no intention to fight my way out of some infraction points, I'll ride it out.

2) I have been on many forums, international and domestic, many even before my discovery of this forum. One of the most interesting things I see on those forums is an Interactive classifieds section.

3) Don't get me wrong, I like the way the classifieds are now, but adding the ability for a dealer to initiate Group Buys will help the industry in 2 major ways.
Help the buyer to purchase a product at a low, LOW cost.
Help the seller to get rid of stock/increase clientele.

4) I do understand that TBhp does not want to "Sell Out" to the capitalist pigs, but this idea really helps the industry as a whole. How many times have we seen members complaining about the price of a product. Now we in India don't deal in the volumes which dealers in other countries do, so we have to maintain a certain price point.

Things like Group Buys are associated with the Walmart theory. The seller will sell for a much lesser margin so as to earn more with more sales or clear old stock, and the buyers simply enjoy massive discounts.

5) There has to be a new commercial section where those commercially involved can actually showcase what they sell, this will let us have access to the massive community here on BHP. Again this is not a bad thing, and this section should be a showcase only (Sometimes stuff that is not installed, but on the rack, hence not appropriate for the Installer Showcase section).

If this is not done then how are we empowering the TBhp member? He has no access to what's new and happening, just what's old and has always been suggested as the safe way to go. Who knows, and how will he know if a new and better tuner/dealer comes up/ finally decides to access this online community?

I'd like to hear more views on the above.
DocG
Old 18th June 2009, 22:04   #2318
Senior - BHPian

A forum I'm a member of tried this, and a few dealers have turned it into a fishmarket, and its very taxing on the mods. Judging by the havoc created by some commercially minded members here, in the regular threads, i think its better to avoid the issue altogether than try to attempt a balance. I have nothing against dealers in general, but just that some who dont like playing it by the rules ruin the game for everyone.

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th June 2009 at 22:07.
Old 19th June 2009, 20:25   #2319
BANNED

DocG - one charming thing about this forum is - some way or others, people finally get to disclose their trade affiliations.

If you ask me whether commercial activity goes on here, I would frankly say - yes, it does. But it is vey unobtrusive, and transparent. (some new launch reviews, some advice in the ICE section, some posts in the modification threads, etc.)

When questions are asked, people put in their opinion / advice; and the reader has an opportunity to evaluate each response w.r.t merits of each response, and also judge the person making the post. Means - suppose I ask "what is the best 'foo'?" and dealer of 'bar' says "do not buy 'foo' go for 'bar'", I know why I get that response. The structure of this forum does not allow a person to mask his commercial interests.

But, explicitly allowing commercial activity would mean that the mods lose their leverage when masquerading happens. And transparency would be gradually lost.

And business rivals would be at each other's throats; and the typical user would be totally confused. Yes, "fishmarket" is the appropriate word.
Old 28th June 2009, 15:52   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Problems or added feature after the TBHP Server upgrade.

I would like to report the following.
1. Forum etc quick link from top missing.
2. Classified images got lost. all of them
Old 28th June 2009, 16:02   #2321
BANNED

Yeah SirAlec!
I too can't spot the Main site Navbar links.
Also I'm unable to open the main TBHP page - www.teambhp.com

VT
Old 28th June 2009, 16:09   #2322
GTO
Team-BHP Support

SirAlec & VT, Firstly : Thanks a ton. We much appreciate your help in finding bugs for us to sort out. We are aware of these two problems. Rest assured, there's a competent team working diligently on the server move since friday.

The main web page + classifieds photo problem ought to be sorted out in a short while.
Old 29th June 2009, 03:30   #2323
Senior - BHPian

The store isn't working. Unable to buy stickers...
Old 29th June 2009, 12:11   #2324
BANNED

Some problem with mailing system as well?? I am not getting email alerts for new posts to subscribed threads.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:16   #2325
BANNED

I'm having some problem in uploading images from TBHP server.
Its taking very much time to upload (I'm using broadband BTW)Sometimes that pop-up window doesn't fully opens, Also it doesn't resizes the images automatically, Theres a limit that we can upload JPEG etc images with size upto 1MB, So there should be a resizing facility too.

So currently, First I upload & Resize pics from any other site, Then I upload them to TBHP server, Its a real pain!

VT

Most Viewed