Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 16:35   #3046
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is not really a suggestion, but I can't think of where to post it.

I noticed that some of the ads in the classified sections seem to be commercial - i.e. someone running a business & using team-bhp classified as one more avenue for sale. Is this allowed?

An example
Team-BHP Classifieds - BRAND NEW WATCHES @ 50% OFF (LIMITED OFFER) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

If this isn't allowed, can t-bhp provide a way to flag such classifieds so that themods can look at it.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:46   #3047
Team-BHP Support

Carboy, one you open the ad, you can use the 'Report Product' link, which should flag the ad.
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:28   #3048
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Like in Polls - we do have an option to see who has voted .
Can we have this feature in Thread ratings
Hi Wildon,

1) Its optional in polls. Ie the poll can either be public or private
2) Allowing people to rate threads anonymously might provide a more true rating (though the opposite could also be argued in a few cases)
3) We'd prefer not to add any more hacks to the system unless absolutely essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Can we have separate discussion threads for the cars? Currently all the discussion on cars like Punto, Polo and Figo is in the GTO's Testdrive threads,
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I know I am dragging out an old suggestion.
Will let GTO address these 2 issues above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Can we a have thread "Know the Distinguished Bhpians" similar to "Know your Mods".?
All the DBHPians profiles are linked in THIS (The Distinguished BHPian) thread. I guess you could see all their intros from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Moreover, even the know your mods posts have become pretty much outdated now. Request the mods to update the thread (if possible)
We might do a minor update sometime in the next 9months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
....I personally find it a very bad taste to abbreviate a term like...
I think Thad and others have summed it up, and i personally don't think there is any pressing reason to change this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Is there some means of saving text of my report when I use the "report this post" feature?
Sorry BSD - no such feature available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
It should be be either "Rs." or "INR".
Will be changed to Rs. soon.

Quote:
1. When I click on the Classifieds link, the "sold" items should be suppressed automatically. It serves no purpose. This change can be done without putting in place a new classifieds module, IMO.
Members currently have the ability to delete their ads. This is encouraged after the item is sold.
For better than this, you'll have to wait...

Quote:
2. Add a field for location/city and state where the vehicle is.
Will be present in the upcoming classifieds. Please be patient, it will be worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.mcgreggor View Post
I'm quite mortified to ask a question for the fear that it will not be approved.
I think all the other mods have covered this in their replies.
Overall, just remember that what you post here is read by 100s/1000s of people - so it should bring some value (info or a question), and it shouldn't be a repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
In case I would Like to see only the attachments of a particular thread, can we have it arranged, like the way I can view all the attachments in Gmail?
Not exactly like gmail, but this is as good as it gets : LINK

Cheers,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd June 2010 at 19:30.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:26   #3049
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan for responding to all the suggestions, not being stubborn , have tried this earlier, can the attachment window have thumbnails, instead of the name of the file / attachments. Will reduce keystrokes and ..... guess I am pushing it. Thanks anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-attachment-window.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2010, 22:01   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

All the DBHPians profiles are linked in THIS (The Distinguished BHPian) thread. I guess you could see all their intros from there.

Cheers,
R
Hey Rehaan,

I did check out that link long back. That thread is a link to their profiles.

Or rather you, mod team can start a thread as to on what grounds members are bestowed with DBHP status(read contribution in which field) . Of so many DBHP, I know Yeti is a DBHP for his contribution in ICE section while Nikhil for his contribution in tyre section. The rest I don't know of (this is partly because I don't visit 4X4 sections and many other sections). Would be great if all this is put under one thread.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:01   #3051
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
...And travelogue on an automotive forum, I would have thought, would mean at least an automotive travelogue if not a self-drive travelogue....
That is kind of the way it started, but then we realised that a travelogue by bus, or by train could provide equally useful information, and be very entertaining and inspirational to read too. Therefore those threads were allowed as well.

If there's specific road related info you're looking for in the travelogues section, the ROUTE QUERIES section should be able to provide that, after all, the places shown in the travelogues are the same regardless of how one gets there.

What other advantages would you get from segregating travelogues by the method of transportation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
One suggestion i want to make is a separate section for all the detailed test drive thread, it will give more accessibility to the users and will look much better.
This has been suggested before quite a few times.
We've got something planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
The "Long-Term Ownership Reviews" somewhere is difficult to follow, and looses it's purpose with the comments of other members.
Ranjan, please use the report post button if you feel there are too many no-value posts in a thread.
However, to completely solve the issue you've mentioned, we'll have to wait till a "thanks" functionality or something similar added to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I want to be able to read my subscribed threads using RSS much like we have for newly created threads.
Perhaps another mod can help you with this - i've never used RSS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I noticed that some of the ads in the classified sections seem to be commercial - i.e. someone running a business & using team-bhp classified as one more avenue for sale. Is this allowed?
The classifieds rules should provide some clarity : LINK

Cheers,
R
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:27   #3052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
....can the attachment window have thumbnails, instead of the name of the file / attachments.
Sorry - but that isn't currently possible, as we are limited by the forum softwares inbuilt functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
...I did check out that link long back...
...start a thread as to on what grounds members are bestowed with DBHP status(read contribution in which field)...
That thread has been updated with a post on the general grounds on which DBHPians are nominated : Direct link to latest post

We can't really provide a individual and specific reason for each one of the many DBHPians, but if you take a look at their last 20 posts i'm sure you'll get a good enough idea.

Cheers,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd June 2010 at 23:28.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:21   #3053
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Rehaan for considering our requests.
Old 3rd June 2010, 02:19   #3054
BHPian

Hi Rehaan / mod who is in charge of vbulletin features,

This suggestion is because I am a mod on another vbulletin board (private), and we have a feature there, which I miss badly here. Note that it may be present, but I cannot seem to find it! If so, please let me know.

In T-BHP:
In the thread view of a forum, on the extreme left column, you can see the icons - new posts in a thread has open envelope white icon, whereas no new posts has closed envelop blue icon.

There is no way to know if you have participated in the thread, unless you go to User CP and view your posts, or you remember which threads you have replied in. This is inconvenient. Ideally, one should look at the forum thread view and get to know if he has participated in the thread or not.

On the other private board:
Apart from the above 2 icons, we also have more icons that indicate if the user has posted in the thread or not. This gives a quick view of threads you have participated in.

Here is a screenshot of the icons part, where
1st icon (blue closed envelope with arrow) = no new posts in thread, user has posts in thread
2nd icon (orange closed envelope) = no new posts in thread, user has no posts in thread
3rd icon (orange open envelope) = new posts in thread, user has no posts in thread
4th icon (orange open envelope with arrow) = new posts in thread, user has posts in thread
Attached Images

Last edited by echo77 : 3rd June 2010 at 02:20.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:45   #3055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no way to know if you have participated in the thread, unless you go to User CP and view your posts, or you remember which threads you have replied in. This is inconvenient. Ideally, one should look at the forum thread view and get to know if he has participated in the thread or not.
And a yes, please! from me too on that one!
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:13   #3056
BHPian

Test Drive section not updated ?

Hi,

Can mods pls update why "test drive" section are not yet updated with FIGO and POLO ?

Or

Am i missing something ?

I hope this is appropriate thread for such a query.

Last edited by anoopap : 3rd June 2010 at 17:14.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:42   #3057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
.... Ideally, one should look at the forum thread view and get to know if he has participated in the thread or not.....
We had this during our ikonboard days IIRC.
Will let GTO answer this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
Can mods pls update why "test drive" section are not yet updated with FIGO and POLO ?
If you see the description of the Portal's TEST DRIVES section, you'll know that those reviews are compiled from submitted ownership reviews.

At the moment, the Figo and Polo owners haven't quite been owners for long enough - since these cars have just been launched.
Once they've been around for a bit, and enough reviews are submitted - they will be compiled and added to the "TEST DRIVES" section.

For now you can see the reviews for these cars in our very exhaustive : Test drives & Initial Ownerships section.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd June 2010 at 18:47.
Old 3rd June 2010, 21:18   #3058
Senior - BHPian

how difficult it would be to show post times as "1.30 hrs ago" instead of actual post time. for those of us not in IST, this gets very confusing at times.
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:26   #3059
Senior - BHPian

never mind, changing time zone is a simpler solution, I don't know when I changed it to IST.
Old 6th June 2010, 09:15   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Re: RIP - I think Thad and others have summed it up, and i personally don't think there is any pressing reason to change this.

Re: Classifieds - Members currently have the ability to delete their ads. This is encouraged after the item is sold.
For better than this, you'll have to wait...
--
Will be present in the upcoming classifieds. Please be patient, it will be worth it
Thanks for the replies, Rehaan.

Many members don't seem to be using the delete ad facility for items sold off. I can understand that while it is encouraged, it wouldn't be too productive if you went through each and every ad and ask the poster to delete it. Also you haven't given any timeline when the next classifieds update would be done on the software, so here's a couple more suggestions, hopefully can be done relatively quickly and also to take care of in the coming update if not already done: (And please pardon me for persisting with my aim)

1. Automatically remove the ad once the poster clicks on "Sold" link. Since the Sold items are no longer relevant, automatically deleting them would be better for everybody.

2. Enable users to click+sort the ads on the column headers. Whether #1 above is implemented or not, this feature will enable a user to sort on say Price. Clicking the Price column will sort the classifieds in the increasing order, clicking it again will sort it in decreasing order. This way clicking the Price column will help group together all the Sold items too and I can skip over them conveniently. Also members who are searching for bargains would surely want to check the lower priced items first.

Btw, you wouldn't believe this, but last night I had a dream I had received an infraction for making long posts!!

Most Viewed