Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 11:48   #2071

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you have a marriage certificate with your wife's name in whatever format you want.
*Note - the passport officers are very well aware of our complicated Indian names - with expansion of initials, first/given name, middle name & surname can be jumbled/swapped, etc so they are a bit lenient

Trying to retrofit our names into such a format is a bad idea anyways
Thank you. The marriage certificate shows XXX YYY - so I guess I'll go with that for the kid's passport too.
Old 5th August 2016, 14:45   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
My passport is fresh, no stamps or visas on it. Applied on Tatkal basis as there was an imminent travel plan which got cancelled. It was issued in the year 2011. So I want to know if there is a process for just changing the photo alone?

One of my brainy (not) friends suggested I just dunk the passport in water and claim for a damaged passport and reapply it. That did not sound so good to me at all, so I did not carry out Megamind's plan. Please advise.

Regards,
Doc_nikhil.
Doc,

You can apply for "Re-issue of passport" as main category and sub category "Change of Appearance" You would have to pay the regular fess of INR. 1500/-. A new passport with a new validity, new number will be issued to you.

Please do not do what your friend suggests. If you damage/loose your passport, you are liable to pay a fine to the passport office. The fine could be another INR. 1500-2000

Last edited by vishal.joshi : 5th August 2016 at 15:03.
Old 5th August 2016, 15:15   #2073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.joshi View Post
Doc,

You can apply for "Re-issue of passport".... new passport with a new validity, new number will be issued to you.

Please do not do what your friend suggests. If you damage/loose your passport, you are liable to pay a fine to the passport office. The fine could be another INR. 1500-2000
Thanks Vishal, I will definitely do as you suggest. Thank you for taking your time and finding out the fee too. Makes it a bit more easier for me.
Old 20th September 2016, 20:26   #2074
BHPian

Hey Guys, any idea if we can do walkins for applicants with Infants? I mean, the passport is for my daughter who is 3 months old. I have booked the appointment (Bangalore), but when i called up the Call center said we cannot do a walk-in since we have already "booked" for an appointment. But online searches say otherwise. Any ideas?
Old 28th September 2016, 15:13   #2075
BHPian

I applied for Tatkal Passport renewal last week at Passport Seva Kendra(PSK) ORR, Bangalore. The whole process was relatively quick and painless, provided documents are proper. Sharing my experience below.

Documents I took along: LPG connection payment receipts (2 of current year,2 of last year), Airtel Landline Bills(2 of current year,2 of last year, stamped and signed at Airtel Center). You can also take Company HR Letter with ID card /registered Rent agreement/Bank photo passbook for current address proof. Additional ID documents were Appointment Confirmation printout, Passport, Aadhar, Marriage Certificate, DL, 10th, 12th and B.Tech Certificates, with originals and self-attested copies.

To start off the process, I logged in here, created a profile, filled all details and booked a Tatkal appointment for my desired PSK center. I did this on a Saturday noon and got a slot for 2:00 pm Monday. Fees - Rs 1500.

Monday afternoon:-
1:40 - Reached near PSK, but unable to locate parking space nearby. Realizing it was getting late, parked at Sakra Hospital and walked short distance. Later saw that there is a separate parking space located behind PSK, but from a separate entrance.

1:50 - Showed Appointment Confirmation receipt to guard outside PSK building. He verified that it was 2:00 pm appointment, wrote a Counter number and told me to go to that counter Queue. Tatkal queue had relatively less people than general queue.

2:00 - Most of the hall (~4-5 queues) was filled up by now. One official came in to the General Queue seat and processing started. No sign of my queue official yet!

2:20 - Tatkal queue was getting agitated now as the general queue was moving briskly, but our official had not come yet. Probably cons of having slot right after lunch.

2:30 - Finally one guy came to the Tatkal queue, and our processing started. This is basic round where they check whether you have brought all documents or not.

2:40 - My turn! The officer asked for Appointment Confirmation and Passport, and asked what address proofs I have. I gave my LPG connection receipts and 4 Airtel Landline bills, and Marriage Certificate for Spouse name addition. He kept back all the photocopies and passport and said this these will get verified further and I will be asked if any other document needed. Then I was told to wait for ~30 mins after which my name will be called and I can go to inner office.

3:00 - Standing and waiting near counter as chairs were limited. Tatkal queue's applicant names not yet called. However, for the general queue, lots of names being announced and people have started going into the inner office and coming out.Many people were also getting sent back to bring other documents, or photocopies.

3:30 - Still no sign of my name announcement! Talked to another applicant who was with me in the Tatkal Queue, and he informed that for Tatkal, more verification is done, hence longer time than general.

3:50 - I heard someone shout my name. I was given a token number,passport and a file containing all my photocopies collected earlier and was told to go inside. Inside, it was very organised with lots of seating space and screens where you have to look out for your token number. You have to pass through 3 counters sequentially (marked A, B and C series) to complete the process. I settled in a seat in front of the screen anticipating another long wait.

3:52 - Surprise! In 2 mins, my name popped up with a specific A counter number. I rushed to that counter number and handed over my file. The lady validated it with all originals and started filling up a form, while confirming all the details verbally. There was an issue with the original Police-station name I had given in my home town, so it was corrected. Then, she uploaded the required files online and took my photo and fingerprints. As I had opted for Tatkal and SMS subscription, I paid an additional amount of Rs 2040 here. Once done, she directed me to B-counter with same instruction to watch out for my same token number in the screen.Total time : 3 mins

3:55 - Reached Counter B, where my turn came immediately. The guy confirmed that I wanted address change and spouse name addition, went through the documents and told me to go to Counter C
.Total time : 30 sec.

3:55 :30 - Reached Counter C. The guy(apparently senior) again went through my documents, stamped "Cancelled" on old passport and told me to collect acknowledgement slip from exit. I asked him about timings and he said that there is no Police Verification and I should receive new passport in 3-4 days by Speedpost. Total time : again 30 sec

3:56 - Collected acknowledgement near the exit door and filled up a feedback form. Got a sms immediately saying my application number has been granted and I will receive further updates over sms. I drive out a happy man.

Same day evening, I get a sms saying passport has been printed. On Tuesday, I get another sms saying passport has been dispatched, with its tracking number.

Finally, I received the passport on Wednesday 11 am, a grand total of 45 hours after applying . One thing to note is that the SpeedPost person won't handover the passport to anyone else other than applicant. So, its better to be available at home as per tracking status, else it might return back and you have to get it from your local Post-office.
Old 30th September 2016, 14:40   #2076
BHPian

One of my friend had his appointment today (30-09-2016) He is applying for the first time, he said he carried all his documents and everything checkout correctly AT section A-B, but he was asked not to go to section C, upon asking why, the guy behind the counter replied "not required" and was asked to leave the premises, whats more, he wasn't given the acknowledgement either.

what does this mean ? Any ideas guys ?
Old 30th September 2016, 16:34   #2077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
One of my friend had his appointment today (30-09-2016) He is applying for the first time, he said he carried all his documents and everything checkout correctly AT section A-B, but he was asked not to go to section C, upon asking why, the guy behind the counter replied "not required" and was asked to leave the premises, whats more, he wasn't given the acknowledgement either.

what does this mean ? Any ideas guys ?
My bettter half had her appointment today too (Lalbagh PSK, Normal Application for fresh passport), and she was also redirected to the acknowledgment desk directly from Counter B. On inquiry, she was told fresh applicants who got through all verification upto B were allowed to bypass C today (probably short-staffed? C is just a final 'rubber-stamping' sort of step anyway).

She did get a proper acknowledgment though (there's a separate counter near the exit for it), so your friend must recheck that part with the PSK. When asked to leave the premises, one should ideally either have an acknowledgment (for an accepted application) or an appointment for a later date (for an on-hold application needing further documentation). Not getting either isn't an option.

P.S. Anybody know how long police verification takes for a normal application? We have our annual vacation coming up in about 3 weeks, would prefer to be done and dusted before then.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th September 2016 at 16:48.
Old 30th September 2016, 20:22   #2078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My bettter half had her appointment today too (Lalbagh PSK, Normal Application for fresh passport), and she was also redirected to the acknowledgment desk directly from Counter B. On inquiry, she was told fresh applicants who got through all verification upto B were allowed to bypass C today (probably short-staffed? C is just a final 'rubber-stamping' sort of step anyway).

She did get a proper acknowledgment though (there's a separate counter near the exit for it), so your friend must recheck that part with the PSK. When asked to leave the premises, one should ideally either have an acknowledgment (for an accepted application) or an appointment for a later date (for an on-hold application needing further documentation). Not getting either isn't an option.

P.S. Anybody know how long police verification takes for a normal application? We have our annual vacation coming up in about 3 weeks, would prefer to be done and dusted before then.
He did go back and got the acknowledgement, but in the acknowledgement, under, application status* it reads "sent to passport office for further processing.

Apparently his brother's application status reads "granted", He too had gone on the same day.

What does your wife's application status read ?
Old 30th September 2016, 21:25   #2079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
He did go back and got the acknowledgement, but in the acknowledgement, under, application status* it reads "sent to passport office for further processing.

Apparently his brother's application status reads "granted", He too had gone on the same day.

What does your wife's application status read ?
I believe she mentioned 'subject to police verification', but I'll recheck when I get home.
Old 30th September 2016, 21:36   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe she mentioned 'subject to police verification', but I'll recheck when I get home.
That means in the next two or three days depending on how fast the file reaches the local police station a constable will come home and verify documents, and also try to talk to the people that you used as referrals.

In some cases the constable may expect some chai paani for his services.

Though the last time I had police verification the constable was in the ayyappa / sabarimala pilgrimage black dress, spoke very literate Tamil and gave me a handshake when he left after verification. Didn't ask for a penny in bribes.
Old 30th September 2016, 21:50   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My parents got their passports renewed last week For police verification, they just went to the police station, recorded the fingerprints and their PCC was marked as completed the next day. Do not wait for the police to show up, go proactively to the police station designated for your area, you can complete the process then and there itself.

Big thanks to SILVERWOOD for helping me and my parents with the passport renewal procedure!
Old 30th September 2016, 22:39   #2082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
My parents got their passports renewed last week For police verification, they just went to the police station, recorded the fingerprints and their PCC was marked as completed the next day. Do not wait for the police to show up, go proactively to the police station designated for your area, you can complete the process then and there itself.

Big thanks to SILVERWOOD for helping me and my parents with the passport renewal procedure!
This isn't a renewal case, but I get the drift.

Will wait for the PSK notification for 'verification initiated' and go to the station proactively. I know the chap there from my own renewal last year so not expecting any issues as long as PSK doesn't cause delays.
Old 30th September 2016, 23:27   #2083
Team-BHP Support

My apologies, wife's acknowledgment shows status 'sent to passport office for processing', but she's already received 'police verification initiated' SMS. I'll drop by the station tomorrow to check and request to expedite.
Old 1st October 2016, 09:10   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies, wife's acknowledgment shows status 'sent to passport office for processing', but she's already received 'police verification initiated' SMS. I'll drop by the station tomorrow to check and request to expedite.
Please do, I look forward to your reply. Thanks Chethan.
Old 1st October 2016, 10:19   #2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Hey Guys, any idea if we can do walkins for applicants with Infants? I mean, the passport is for my daughter who is 3 months old. I have booked the appointment (Bangalore), but when i called up the Call center said we cannot do a walk-in since we have already "booked" for an appointment. But online searches say otherwise. Any ideas?

Hi,
Many times call Center isn't always right. Just visit to PSK without showing them appointment letter. Once you are inside, request the first desk about the situation.
Option-2:
I believe your appointment is booked based on your application no. If you succeed to apply with different or new application no. then I guess you can walk in for passport application with new application.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks