Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 10:40   #2041
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Guys, the photo on my passport got disfigured (no fault of mine) in spite of the fact that it was laminated.
Now, I need to get this sorted out before I can apply for a visa. Can anybody help with the process? I'm in Mumbai.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:28   #2042
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Guys, the photo on my passport got disfigured (no fault of mine) in spite of the fact that it was laminated.
Now, I need to get this sorted out before I can apply for a visa. Can anybody help with the process? I'm in Mumbai.
I'd suggest looking at the Passport website and using the Document Advisor link there. There are options under Re-issue reason and one of them is "damaged passport", do check that. I think it needs an Affidavit with Annexure 'L' and other documents.

But yours may be an edge case since the options are:
a.Passport No. readable, Name legible and Photograph intact
b.Damaged beyond recognition

I guess it will still be treated as "a." ?
Old 28th June 2016, 18:39   #2043
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune RPO is on some sort of drive where people who made tatkaal applications and for some reason did not have their verification completed are being issued show cause notices. We got one such in the family and it took a visit to the passport office, followed by another to the police station and submission of a ton of paperwork.

Thankfully I retain all kinds of paperwork and the nearly-4-year old file was locked away safely someplace, so it was a breeze to resubmit the document copies. I thought it may be an issue since we moved into a new place 3 years ago, but it didn't matter at all.

The policeman in charge of verification was apologetic and told my wife that if it were up to them, they wouldn't chase after law-abiding citizens over a formality. Post-application verification is a hit and miss at best: some people never get the SMS to report to the police station; some ignore it; and certain cases even though the process goes through, it never closes. Hopefully this is behind us now!
Old 5th July 2016, 16:19   #2044
BHPian

Went to Lalbagh PSK (Bengaluru) today for my PP renewal (after getting an affidavit in lieu of MC). It was horribly crowded, esp. in the B & C counters. Both took more than an hour each while the initial & A counters were a breeze considering I had all documents ready (with no change except for marital status).

Took me a total of ~3 hours from landing there to coming out. The worst part is having to stand in the stuffy overcrowded room waiting for our turn in the B & C counters. With lesser seats, and more people, people management is a mess here with people standing in the corridors/walk area and blocking free movement. Many barging in the middle and handing over their application even though their token is not called (only to be sent back). My processing was hardly 2 mins each at both B & C counters even though I had to wait for 2+ hours for the same which was frustrating.

I guess its better to book a slot in the other PSK's in Bengaluru (compared to the Lalbagh one) for a more pleasant experience.
Old 5th July 2016, 16:36   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I guess its better to book a slot in the other PSK's in Bengaluru (compared to the Lalbagh one) for a more pleasant experience.
Marathahalli is no better. Lesson I learnt from my recent experience is that it is better to forgo the appointment on the first available day and pick the earliest time slot on the next day. That way counters B & C will be free by the time one gets to them.
Old 6th July 2016, 16:19   #2046
Senior - BHPian

How much time does it take for passport office to re issue a passport for "change in appearance"? A friend has gone from turban to non turban and needs to leave for Europe next month end. Documents list is there on the document advisor, right?
Old 6th July 2016, 21:09   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
How much time does it take for passport office to re issue a passport for "change in appearance"? A friend has gone from turban to non turban and needs to leave for Europe next month end. Documents list is there on the document advisor, right?
If there is no other change (address, issuing office, other particulars), then it should be a direct re-issue procedure IMO. Hope they won't trigger a police verification just because of change in appearance. As per feedback to someone yesterday at the PSK, it should take 15 days after the PCC. So, 1 month should be adequate for receiving the updated PP.
Old 7th July 2016, 09:31   #2048
BANNED

What is rental agreement a valid document mentioned in the list but not home ownership?

My sister's passport is to be renewed this year. The address in the passport is no longer where she is staying. She bought a home last June - it's registered under her husband's and her name. The electricity & Gas bills are in the husband's name. Also by the time the bills were transferred to his name - it was December or so. So even he doesn't have bills in his name before December.

So what should she use for Address proof.

- Registration photocopy (original is with the bank)

or

- Husband's 6 months gas/electricity bill + Marriage certificate
Old 7th July 2016, 09:47   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Any of the following (more the better) with her current address in it.

Passport Renewal Procedure-addressproof.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 7th July 2016, 10:14   #2050
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Any of the following (more the better) with her current address in it.

Attachment 1525395

Cheers,
Vikram
If you read my question, my question was based on that list - I am asking why rental agreement is included but not home ownership. She doesn't have any of the documents on that list.
Old 7th July 2016, 10:22   #2051
Mik
BHPian

Quote:

- Registration photocopy (original is with the bank)

or

- Husband's 6 months gas/electricity bill + Marriage certificate
Though I haven't faced this exact same problem, but my recent run-ins with the passport office suggests that one has to prepare for everything.
Ask her to keep everything with her, even employer certificate of residence in that address if applicable(mine is a startup but was accepted as the main proof). Marriage certificate is a must. I had to come back again for this oversight of mine.
If possible, get the registration photocopy also attested by bank.
Old 7th July 2016, 10:38   #2052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Ask her to keep everything with her, even employer certificate of residence in that address if applicable(mine is a startup but was accepted as the main proof).
She is not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
If possible, get the registration photocopy also attested by bank.
Do banks do this?
Old 7th July 2016, 10:43   #2053
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
She is not working.

Do banks do this?
If she is not working, husband's employer certificate in conjunction with marriage certificate works generally.
For the banks, I have once got a statement attested. I think it is worth a try, or some acknowledgement of the bank that the originals are kept with the bank.
Old 7th July 2016, 10:52   #2054
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you read my question, my question was based on that list - I am asking why rental agreement is included but not home ownership. She doesn't have any of the documents on that list.
Property registration document (Sale Deed, etc) is not proof of residence, it proves ownership only, that's the reason it is isn't on that list of documents.
One has to start somewhere, so it will be worthwhile getting the Driver's license / utilities like home land line phone or electricity or water or LPG connection updated with the address in question. Then, one of these can be used to update Passport / Aadhaar card. This is better from a long-term perspective. Others like getting a letter from employer, marriage certificate, etc may work if the folks at passport office accept it.

Last edited by NPV : 7th July 2016 at 10:55.
Old 7th July 2016, 10:56   #2055
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Property registration document (Sale Deed, etc) is not proof of residence, it proves ownership only, that's the reason it is isn't on that list of documents.
That's the same case for electricity bill, gas bill also, right? The electricity bill & gas bill in my flat which has been rented out is still in my name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
One has to start somewhere, so it will be worthwhile getting the Driver's license / utilities like home land line phone or electricity or water or LPG connection updated with the address in question.
Driver's license is not accepted as proof. And the utilities are in her husband's name.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks