Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2016, 16:44   #2176
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Wow, if they couldn't recognize a marriage due to lack of marriage certificate, how can a death certificate make up for it? Seems strange but if it worked, great.
I have no idea - and when they asked for the marriage certificate, for one moment we were thunderstuck as we knew it was almost impossible to get one at short notice, if at all . We were applying for my son's passport renewal as well at the same time, so all of us were there. Luckily we had the death certificate with us so we didnt have to come again.
Old 28th November 2016, 19:46   #2177
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
I had a similar issue with my mother in law's passport. She applied for a passport for the first time recently, a few months after my father in law had passed away. The PSK staff at document verification stage asked for her marriage certificate , which she did not have . The same reason as yours, those days legally registerered marriage certificates were not that common.

However the PSK staff asked for the death certificate as an alternate which we had, so there was no further hassle.
May sound silly but there is a logic in the apparent madness. Yes, compulsory registration of marriages is a recent phenomenon. What I can think up is that if your f-i-l was alive they would probably have asked then for an affidavit. Of course a marriage certificate can be obtained at any stage. So for them the death certificate covered this hole.

I remember before the Schengen came in one European nation demanded a recent marriage certificate for a long term visa. The emphasis was on recent, a certificate older than a few years (three I think) was not acceptable.

Well rules are rules, I guess.
Old 28th November 2016, 20:18   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Got done with my passport renewal appointment today. It was a 9.15 AM appointment with 9.00 AM reporting. Was there by 8.45 and was asked to queue up. Was taken inside at 9.00 AM and was through the A-B-C counters in around 35-40 mins. In fact I spent more time travelling to and fro from the PSK center.

Aadhar card as a sole address proof is sufficient though I had carried around 3-4 more proofs along. Overall was very happy with the way things were done. Yes one thing is that if your appointment is among the first 2-3 batches, you will get out earlier but if not, then there are chances you will take longer. Unfortunately you dont get to chose the time while booking an appointment and are allocated based on what is available (I had an option when I went to get one for my daughter but this time it was not available).

I wish Government streamlined the RTO also in the same way to do away with touts
Finally the process ends. Got an sms stating that the police have given a clear report for my passport. So in 20 days of taking an appointment at PSK in Tatkal, I have a valid passport with me.
Old 5th December 2016, 14:06   #2179
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some advice here. My current passport has a validity date till July 2017. It is time now to renew my passport. I just wanted to know if I can do the renewal procedure on my own or do I need to go via some agent to make the process less painful? If possible, I would like to do this on my own but not sure of all the things which are required.

Also, I got married recently. So do I need a marriage certificate to get my passport renewed? How do I go about this?
Old 5th December 2016, 14:17   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some advice here. My current passport has a validity date till July 2017. It is time now to renew my passport. I just wanted to know if I can do the renewal procedure on my own or do I need to go via some agent to make the process less painful? If possible, I would like to do this on my own but not sure of all the things which are required.

Also, I got married recently. So do I need a marriage certificate to get my passport renewed? How do I go about this?
You do not need to approach any agent. Agents are anyway not permitted inside the premises and they cannot influence the decision making process.

Is your address the same as the old passport? If yes, then your work will be very simple. Most probably there will be no police verification required as well.

If you want to add the name of your spouse to the passport (highly recommended), you will need the marriage certificate.

Go to this link and enter the details to get the list of documents required:
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/docAdvisor/reissuePassport

(Copy paste above link as earlier link was for new passport and not for renewal)

Apply for the passport online using this link (after creating login):
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...user/userLogin

Go through this slideshow for details of application process:
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...ine/QuickGuide

Trust me, they have really streamlined the process and you will not face any major hassles. Let me know in case you have doubts about some step. I had renewed my wife’s passport recently (which involved a change of address from Hyderabad to Mumbai and addition of name of spouse as well) and the whole process was super smooth including the police verification

Last edited by praveen789 : 5th December 2016 at 14:25. Reason: removed extra spaces
Old 5th December 2016, 14:25   #2181
Senior - BHPian

You don't need to renew now unless you have a substantially high number of trips coming up and will run out of pages before July. Or if you're going to be relocating abroad for over a year so want to renew before that. The rest as Praveen 789 said above.
Old 5th December 2016, 14:51   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Is your address the same as the old passport? If yes, then your work will be very simple. Most probably there will be no police verification required as well.

If you want to add the name of your spouse to the passport (highly recommended), you will need the marriage certificate.

Go to this link and enter the details to get the list of documents required:
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/docAdvisor/reissuePassport

So I had gotten my address changed in my current passport i.e. there is a stamp of endorsement in my passport with the new address (which is handwritten on a page in side the passport). However, the new address is not printed on the first/last page of the passport. Do I need to apply for a new passport all together?

I just wanted to check if getting my wife's name in my passport is really required? Just wanted to know what are the benefits of that? I mean if I can travel my wife with my passport (without my wife's name in it), that could work right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You don't need to renew now unless you have a substantially high number of trips coming up and will run out of pages before July. Or if you're going to be relocating abroad for over a year so want to renew before that. The rest as Praveen 789 said above.
I might travel abroad for a short 10 day trip and I am told that most of the places require your passport to have a 6 month validity at the time of travel, hence I am applying for a renewal.
Old 5th December 2016, 15:03   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
So I had gotten my address changed in my current passport i.e. there is a stamp of endorsement in my passport with the new address (which is handwritten on a page in side the passport). However, the new address is not printed on the first/last page of the passport. Do I need to apply for a new passport all together?

I just wanted to check if getting my wife's name in my passport is really required? Just wanted to know what are the benefits of that? I mean if I can travel my wife with my passport (without my wife's name in it), that could work right?
A handwritten endorsement? I thought they had stopped that ages ago. Anyway, as long as you have a valid printed passport, you can apply for renewal and not a fresh passport.

It is not mandatory to add your wife’s name. However, it serves as an additional proof of marriage. It was especially important in my case as my wife has retained her surname and not changed it after marriage. It ‘might’ also help to serve as proof in case you both need to travel together (while applying for a visa you will be considered as a couple) without additional proof. In any case, if a single document (marriage certificate) is required, it makes sense to do it as wanting to add it at a later stage means renewing the passport again

Last edited by praveen789 : 5th December 2016 at 15:07.
Old 5th December 2016, 15:14   #2184
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Marriage endorsement is always good. Has to be both ways. As for duration, some countries require three, some six and some twelve month validity for the passport in order to issue a visa. I think six months is the most common. So act accordingly.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:03   #2185
BHPian

As some of you would remember i had raised some queries regarding renewal of my mom's passport and thanks to many of you who guided us.

We finally got it done and the whole process was super smooth with no hassle. Hats of to the new system.

All that they asked was aadhar card and two Xerox copies of the old passport.We stay about 40kms away from the passport office hence as a precautionary measure had carried all documents but none were asked for.

The best part is while we just entered our home we got a sms saying the passport is in printing and in the evening got another sms saying passport dispatched via speed-post.

All in all we were pleasantly surprised and super happy.
Old 9th December 2016, 15:57   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post

Trust me, they have really streamlined the process and you will not face any major hassles. Let me know in case you have doubts about some step.
Just one question regarding the ECR status. Which category do we fall in? Basically, when I check the list of documents, they ask for one thing: Is applicant eligible for Non-ECR category? - should I select yes or no in this? What does ECR refer to?
Old 9th December 2016, 16:26   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just one question regarding the ECR status. Which category do we fall in? Basically, when I check the list of documents, they ask for one thing: Is applicant eligible for Non-ECR category? - should I select yes or no in this? What does ECR refer to?
Emigration clearance required. If you have a college degree you don't need an ECR. If both you and your wife have passports, your kid doesn't need ECR, etc

That is mainly to protect illiterate workers who get passports and go off to the gulf, malaysia etc.

And unless explicitly stamped thus in the passport it is assumed that emigration clearance isnt required.
Old 12th December 2016, 19:58   #2188
BHPian

Hi All,

Need info on what exactly classifies as a damaged passport. I ask this because on a recent holiday trip, there was (sea) water damage to my wife's and kid's passport. The first and last pages with all the information are completely intact without any marks, but the pages inline with the immigration stamps have smudged to some extent, more so on my kids passport. however it is readable completely without much strain on the eye.

I asked the immigration guys and they asked me to go ahead with a renewal. Just wanted to know if this is correct information. Any help is appreciated
Old 13th December 2016, 10:31   #2189
BANNED

Quote:
ECR is Emigration Check Required. afaik class XII (or is it Class X) is all you need for this so I guess you should be exempt. Also, I think Income Tax payers, and some other categories like Senior Citizens are also exempt.

This was started when there was a major issue about village folk being sandbagged. Also, I think for a Tourist Visas trip it is not required. Plus there are many countries where ECNR is not required. At one time very passport had a ECNR or ECR stamp. Then the default became ECNR and only ECR is stamped.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th December 2016 at 10:34.
Old 13th December 2016, 14:49   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Hi All,

I asked the immigration guys and they asked me to go ahead with a renewal. Just wanted to know if this is correct information. Any help is appreciated
Please go ahead with renewal. Select Damaged/Mutilated PP in the drop down menu when you choose the reason for renewal.

Waseem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks