Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 17:28   #2221
BANNED

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

If a husband's passport has been issued recently & that is used as address proof for the wife - will that still require police verification or not?
Old 30th December 2016, 10:40   #2222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If a husband's passport has been issued recently & that is used as address proof for the wife - will that still require police verification or not?
Let me just add that th attempt is to reduce the need for police verification. If she also has AAdhar then one can almost be a Police verification will not be required. AAdhar will provide a cross check.
Old 8th January 2017, 22:09   #2223
BHPian

Need to renew my wife's expired passport and also apply for new passport for my daughter.

My wife's name in her old passport and in our marriage certificate is XXX YYY (YYY is her father's name). My passport was renewed recently and in that spouse name is entered as XXX YYY (as per marriage certificate).

Problem is her AADHAR card, which we want to use as her id/address proof, has her name as XXX ZZZ (ZZZ being my first name).

Please advice how to proceed while applying for her passport renewal -
Apply with her name as XXX YYY or apply as XXX ZZZ (which is what we prefer) ?
If i apply with her name as XXX ZZZ, will i also have to apply for my passport to be re-issued again to correct spouse name from XXX YYY to XXX ZZZ ?

Thanks!

Last edited by WindRide : 8th January 2017 at 22:10.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:59   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Need to renew my wife's expired passport and also apply for new passport for my daughter.

My wife's name in her old passport and in our marriage certificate is XXX YYY (YYY is her father's name). My passport was renewed recently and in that spouse name is entered as XXX YYY (as per marriage certificate).

Problem is her AADHAR card, which we want to use as her id/address proof, has her name as XXX ZZZ (ZZZ being my first name).

Please advice how to proceed while applying for her passport renewal -
Apply with her name as XXX YYY or apply as XXX ZZZ (which is what we prefer) ?
If i apply with her name as XXX ZZZ, will i also have to apply for my passport to be re-issued again to correct spouse name from XXX YYY to XXX ZZZ ?

Thanks!
Your passport is sufficient as address proof for your spouse. I have done this way 4 years back.

Else update her name in Adhaar card using the following link here
It's complete online and you do not have to visit any office/counter. I have updated my Adhaar card and it is pretty hassle free and done in less than 3 days.

Hope this helps!
Old 9th January 2017, 10:09   #2225

I got my passport renewed and address changed on 23 November in Bangalore and the process was as follows:

1. Applied and filled in the form online on 22 November
2. Got an appointment on Tatkal quota for 9:30 AM on 23 November and paid the normal Rs.2000/- fee for a 60 page booklet.
3. Took the following documents and was at the PSK at 9:15 AM
a) Old passport
b) Aadhar Card
c) Phone Bills - current and one year old. I did carry my PAN card and my Voter ID card, but, these were not asked for by the PSK people.
4. Went to the Tatkal counter where the person there took all the documents and disappeared for about 10 minutes. He came back with the form copy with "Tatkal approved" handwritten on it and signed by someone. Asked me to go to the payment counter and pay the Tatkal fees (Rs.2000/-).

5. Went to pay the fees and found out that they will only accept cash and no other form of payment is acceptable. I was informed that there are no ATMs in the PSK premises and if I didn't have the cash then I would have to arrange it from nearby ATMs before 12 PM or my appointment would be cancelled. Luckily I did have one solitary 2000 note which I paid and got a receipt. Was asked to go inside and wait for my turn.

6. Was called almost immediately to desk A25 where a lady took all my documents, verified the originals and uploaded the scans on her system. Photograph taken. Forms signed in her presence for upload. Fingerprints for Aadhar verification done (this failed as I later found out from an email from UIDAI!) Was given a docket with all the forms/scanned docs and told to wait for my turn at counter B.

7. Was called within another 5-10 minutes or so to another officer who verified the docket and was told to go to counter C and wait my turn.

8. Was called to another officer who was the passport issuing authority as per the nameplate on his desk. Inspected the documents again and cancelled my old passport and gave it back to me. Was told to go to the exit counter.

9. There was a really long long line at the exit counter, but as I stood in the line, an officer came and told a few of us to go to another room. The docket was taken and entered into the system and an exit document given to me. Docket also returned. The exit doc said that the passport was approved, no police check required!

I was out of the PSK at 10:30 AM. At 11 AM I got an SMS that my passport had gone for printing. got an SMS at 3:00 PM that passport had been printed and would be despatched after binding and signing. Got an SMS at 7:00 PM on 24 Nov that the passport had been despatched with speed post tracking details. Passport delivered on 25 November at about 11:00 AM.

So all in all, it took 3 days to get a passport renewed in Bangalore on Tatkal. There are no police checks as long as your documents are in order. From anecdotal evidence from a friend, it takes 7-10 days on normal basis and 3-4 hours at the PSK for normal applications. The process is the same for both but you get to skip the queues on Tatkal.

What surprises me is that, from what I see here, is the different standards in different states and PSKs. There are no police checks on renewals in Bangalore, whereas in Mumbai there seem to be there for renewals also. Peculiar...
Old 9th January 2017, 10:11   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
I recommend you retain her passport in her maiden name itself. Switching to married name usually requires submission of change of name proof etc (we had done that for my mom). However since your wife's aadhar is in her wedded name, I suppose you can use that as identity proof as well. I would just keep it simple and continue with her maiden name. You won't have to change your passport any which way maybe unless you apply for a resident visa in a foreign country.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:29   #2227
BANNED

Quote:

We have a similar problem in our family. My daughter-in-law has her passport in her maiden name <Ggven name> <father's name> <surname> which is what appears in our grandson's birth certificate. Her PAN was changed to <Given name> <maiden surname> <our surname> immediately after their marriage. Strictly as per her tradition her name should have been <given name> <husband's name> <our surname>. They have their flat registered in the name as in her PAN. I think there are two routes to sort out the mess. Either her marriage certificate can be used for the purpose or else the affidavit + notification in papers route will have to be followed. Since while we are from the the north and she from the south the fun is even more so.

One problem which comes is is that for professionals the degree and (esp) registration can always be a mess. This is one reason that as a doctor she is still using her maiden name.

So now you have a similar mess esp if with your daughter has her mother's maiden name in her birth certificate. In case mother and child travel together then the names should match, else some embassies raise a fuss.

We will like to see how you manage this!

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th January 2017 at 21:21. Reason: As reported. Thanks.
Old 9th January 2017, 18:20   #2228
BHPian

Since wife's name everywhere else (birth certificate of children, aadhar card, ration card, joint bank/locker accounts, etc) is XXX ZZZ, i guess its best to use the same during her PP renewal as well. I hope my PP, marriage certificate and her aadhar card should suffice. Let me see how it goes. In which case, I might have to get my PP re-issued to endorse her name as XXX ZZZ instead of the current XXX YYY, or can i ignore it for the time being (no emigration planned in near future) ?

Last edited by WindRide : 9th January 2017 at 18:34.
Old 9th January 2017, 21:19   #2229
BANNED

Quote:
Since wife's name everywhere else (birth certificate of children, aadhar card, ration card, joint bank/locker accounts, etc) is XXX ZZZ, i guess its best to use the same during her PP renewal as well. I hope my PP, marriage certificate and her aadhar card should suffice. Let me see how it goes. In which case, I might have to get my PP re-issued to endorse her name as XXX ZZZ instead of the current XXX YYY, or can i ignore it for the time being (no emigration planned in near future) ?
I recently got my passport replaced, and saw a column for an old name/alias in the form. I am not sure whether it is a new addition, and whether both names appear in the PP. If so then a lot of problems of married ladies are taken carer of.

Of late a see a lot of ladies in the north using <given name> <maiden surname> <husbands surname>. We did the same for our d-i-l eight years ago. I personally think it is a good idea, since it covers both tracks. If both (old and new) names appear on the PP then life is very simple. Aadhar change should be possible just with a copy of the marriage Certificate.

Last edited by sgiitk : 9th January 2017 at 21:20.
Old 12th January 2017, 10:02   #2230
BHPian

Is there an option to choose day and time of appointment at PSK?
Looks like a 5 day window availability was announced early last year - http://mea.gov.in/press-releases.htm...lated+services

Is this option still given while making an online application?
Old 12th January 2017, 10:04   #2231
BHPian

Yes it is. you can select the date but not the time. The time is auto allocated.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:13   #2232
BANNED

My sister has to renew her passport - it's expiring this year. Her city of residence has changed from the last time the passport was issued, but the state is the same.

All address proof like electricity bill is in the name of her husband. Her husband had his passport updated with the new address last month. Her name is also mentioned as spouse in his passport. So I am assuming all the address proof she needs is her husband's passport. However, how will 1 year of residence at that address proof be proved? Also will she need police verification - her husband's police verification got done just in December.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:30   #2233
BANNED

@carboy; They normally ask for residence address(es) in the previous year. I have been in the same place since 2001 so have not kept track. Also, has he Aadhar been updated. If so then the other things become trivial. When they record the 'paw prints' they will transfer the thumbs and ask for verification from UIDAI. This takes care of a lot of hassles.
Old 13th January 2017, 13:54   #2234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@carboy; They normally ask for residence address(es) in the previous year. I have been in the same place since 2001 so have not kept track. Also, has he Aadhar been updated. If so then the other things become trivial. When they record the 'paw prints' they will transfer the thumbs and ask for verification from UIDAI. This takes care of a lot of hassles.
She does not have Aadhar card.
Old 17th January 2017, 12:58   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Need info on what exactly classifies as a damaged passport. I ask this because on a recent holiday trip, there was (sea) water damage to my wife's and kid's passport. The first and last pages with all the information are completely intact without any marks, but the pages inline with the immigration stamps have smudged to some extent, more so on my kids passport. however it is readable completely without much strain on the eye.
Went ahead and got this done today for my wife and daughter. Since mine was a damage, I understood from the online document advisor that I would need an Affidavit for both. Got my appointment rescheduled because I could not have it ready by the first appointment. Costed around 700 bucks for both the affidavits.

The guy who gives the token gave back the affidavits and told me to get Annexure D & F along with couple of other photocopies which were not mentioned by the document advisor. I asked him why he did not need the affidavits but he just said its not required. Luckily the annexures required were available within the office itself along with a photocopier. So that made things easy a bit else I would have had to go out of the PSK and come back again with the docs wading through the crowd and getting some angry stares.

Since there were two applications, I was given two token numbers and that made things very difficult because they would ask for the mother to sign in some places but she had to be at her application table as well. I asked if we could be attended to at the same table but was denied.

When I went to the table for my daughter's application, I asked why they did not need the affidavits to which the officer said that the process has now changed and the annexures have replaced the affidavits. I told him that the website and document advisor have not been updated with this information and I had to unnecessarily get into the trouble of getting the affidavits including wasting the money for them. He just nodded his head and I got the hint.

Unfortunately all this wasted a lot of time and even though we were probably in the second batch we had to wait a long between the different counters as others had already moved ahead.

Finished the formalities and went to counter B (the Government officials one). Waited for a longer time for the turn to come and during scrutiny of the details, it was noticed that the DOB of my daughter was incorrectly entered at counter A. They asked me to get this rectified but it's not that I can walk in straight and get it done. I again need to wait for my token number to flash on the screen and then go to the counter accordingly.

Got it corrected and had to go to counter B again following the flashing of the token allocated and get it reverified. Finally got through all counters successfully and got message that the passports are being sent for printing.

The intention behind detailing my experience is to check the details entered at counter 1 before you leave the counter. The time lost is a lot less if you do that vis-a-vis being sent back from counter B.

Also processes and documents required for certain type of applications have changed and unfortunately neither the website/document advisor nor the application print reflects this. So that is a contingency you might have to factor in when you go for the appointments.

OT- whom can I write to/give a feedback on the website/document advisor not being updated to the current process? Will tweeting to PSK help?

Last edited by centaur : 17th January 2017 at 13:04. Reason: gramatical mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks