Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2016, 14:18   #2206
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Not at all. I got mine renewed a month back and there was no demand for any NOC from the society. All I needed was an Aadhar card and an electricity bill/index 2 copy. Nothing more, nothing less. Adding to it, I did not pay a single penny as bribe

Anyway, NOC isnt that difficult a document to fake either if thats the case. When docs like PAN/Aadhar can be faked, I dont see the NOC to be foolproof to override a say, Aadhar or an Index 2. Also the Aadhar verification is done directly with the UIDAI database not once, but twice (once when you enter the aadhar number online, and second at the PSK where your finger prints are scanned and verified against the UIDAI data for the Aadhar number mentioned). Only if it is successful, is the police verification initiated in case where aadhar card is given as an address proof. Giving aadhaar as address proof also expedites the process considerably
Old 27th December 2016, 14:19   #2207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I think this is required only if a person stays in a rented flat and not otherwise. If the flat is one's own, then this is not required AFAIK
It's required for everyone for police verification.

Police Verification asks for far more documents than that you submit to the passport office. Police Verification has gone from bad to worse - it's the most painful part of the process.
Old 27th December 2016, 14:22   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Police Verification has gone from bad to worse - it's the most painful part of the process.
Not really sure because my experience was exactly opposite. It was a breeze at the passport office and the police station. Not a penny bribe paid and no hassles either.
Old 27th December 2016, 15:23   #2209
BANNED

@centraur; At one time your experience would have been considered a miracle. I remember IITK students complained to Mr Kalam about the bribes. It was denied, so then they sent him a list with names and dates and amounts. This resulted in a chap from the LIU visiting IITK once a month, and then see the campus applicants in the office of the Dean. Mind you this could only reduce and not fully stop the tomfoolery. How, they then took their own sweet time to submit the repost to Lucknow, so speed money had to be paid by some.
Old 27th December 2016, 15:44   #2210
BHPian

Maybe the experience is different based on the city, police station involved and the police personnel involved. This was a renewal but even while applying for a new passport 10 years ago, I never paid or was asked a penny as bribe. These were two different police stations and two different police personnel. This time around, when the police personnel did not "ask for anything", I from my end confirmed if anything was pending from my end to be given to him and he replied in negative. Infact I had asked my friend on the "expected amount" and he said he does not know since he never paid anything either.

Maybe it was because of the demonetization
Old 27th December 2016, 16:22   #2211
BHPian

Need advice on Change Address in passport.
My current passport is having address where I was staying for last 5 years which was rented apartment. Now I have my own house and I am staying here since Apr 2016. I want to update the new address in passport. I have my Adhar card for new address. Is bank passbook with photo necessary for change request, since I do not have Nationalized bank account with the new address and my private bank account does not have passbook.
Also is the society NOC mandatory for police verification or 2 references will do?
Old 27th December 2016, 17:26   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyToDrive View Post
Need advice on Change Address in passport.
Also is the society NOC mandatory for police verification or 2 references will do?
List of documents for Proof of Address (at least one is required):
1. Water Bill
2. Telephone (landline or post paid mobile bill)
3. Electricity bill
4. Income Tax Assessment Order
5. Election Commission Photo ID card
6. Proof of Gas Connection
7. Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head
8. Aadhaar Card
9. Registered Rent Agreement
10. Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks and Regional Rural Banks only)

Apart from this, you will require:

1. Old Passport in original with self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages, including ECR/Non-ECR page (previously ECNR) and the page of observation (if any), made by Passport Issuing Authority and validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport

2. Documentary proof for any one of the Non-ECR (previously ECNR) categories. There are many choices here but I guess this requires a Matriculation or Higher Educational Pass Certificate

I am from Mumbai and the police people did ask for the NOC from society. However, people here from other cities are saying they were not asked for it. So please get it just to avoid unnecessary rounds to the police station.

Last edited by Saanil : 27th December 2016 at 17:30.
Old 27th December 2016, 18:24   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not at all. I got mine renewed a month back and there was no demand for any NOC from the society.
Did you renew it in Mumbai ?

The way system is supposed to work in Mumbai :
  1. Police visits your home to validate address
  2. You visit police station for "interview"
  3. Police brings all pending applications during next weekly visit to society (to close all petty complaints / record any new guard in society/ passport applications) and validates NOC with society
  4. Police station submits approval in internal system
  5. CID sends approval to passport office
Old 27th December 2016, 18:50   #2214
BANNED

Quote:
Not really sure because my experience was exactly opposite. It was a breeze at the passport office and the police station. Not a penny bribe paid and no hassles either.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4083730
Old 28th December 2016, 09:22   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Did you renew it in Mumbai ?

The way system is supposed to work in Mumbai :
  1. Police visits your home to validate address
  2. You visit police station for "interview"
  3. Police brings all pending applications during next weekly visit to society (to close all petty complaints / record any new guard in society/ passport applications) and validates NOC with society
  4. Police station submits approval in internal system
  5. CID sends approval to passport office
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think both of you did it in Mumbai while I did it in Pune. However, my parents passport was done in Mumbai (Thane to be precise) and not much of a hassle there either and no, they weren't senior citizens when the passport was done

All I can say at this point is a reiteration of one of my previous posts - probably the experience varies from city to city, police station to police station and the police personnel to police personnel.
Old 28th December 2016, 14:32   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
List of documents for Proof of Address (at least one is required):
Thanks Saanil for the list, but my question is since I am staying at this place for less than 1 year can I apply for change of address now or should I wait for 1 year to complete and then only apply?
Old 28th December 2016, 14:35   #2217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyToDrive View Post
Thanks Saanil for the list, but my question is since I am staying at this place for less than 1 year can I apply for change of address now or should I wait for 1 year to complete and then only apply?
Best to complete one year at current address, else you'll have the added hassle of declaring your previous address as well, (potentially) required to submit proofs for it and subject to verification (in theory, one needs to declare every address they've stayed at within the past year).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th December 2016 at 14:37.
Old 28th December 2016, 21:50   #2218
BHPian

Re: How fast one can get their passports renewed?

How fast one can get their passports renewed in B'lore?

I need to travel in another week and i see my passport getting expired in another month.

Can we get a passport renewed in 3-4 business days?

Please advise.
Old 28th December 2016, 22:39   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How fast one can get their passports renewed in B'lore?
Tatkaal usually is a next day affair and you should be able to travel. Many countries require a minimum validity on a passport to permit entry.
Old 29th December 2016, 15:22   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think both of you did it in Mumbai while I did it in Pune. However, my parents passport was done in Mumbai (Thane to be precise)
That explains it. Pune/Thane are not part of this procedure. Mumbai police's jurisdiction is limited to two Mumbai districts.

https://mumbaipolice.maharashtra.gov.in/map.asp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks