Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2007, 00:50   #2041
Senior - BHPian

My Take on 'Racism'

There's been a lot of noise during this series about the alleged 'racist' remarks made by the crowd at Vadodara and then again at Mumbai ("Aussies suk" - but of course they do!)

The immediate reaction from Cricket Australia and the Board for Constipation of Cricket in India was a joint statement that there is 'No place for racism' in this sport.

I fail to see where there was racism. The only 'race' that can legally complain about having been at the receiving end of any such 'ism' should be the simian race. What did they do to deserve those chants that alleged that Andrew Symonds was one of them?

Let's face it - a person who takes such pains to make himself look uglier than his parents and mother nature meant him to be should expect a crowd of a few 10,000s to take notice. When a crowd takes notice, they provide feedback. Telling a person what he really looks like isnt racism - that is education. And that is exactly what it would be for a person like Symonds who looks like he doesnt shave or brush his teeth often enough to know what he really looks like. Somebody here mentioned that he is too busy swimming with the sharks or hunting hogs. Mr. Symonds needs a good, long, hard look at himself in the mirror.

Again, his behaviour during the series and the ugly looks he threw around on the 2 occasions the Aussies lost seem to indicate that his temperament isnt any better than what his looks suggest.

To me it is quite ridiculous that people should be complaining about racism - hey look who's talking ! Ask Arjuna Ranatunga, Aravinda D'Silva or Muttiah Muralitharan as to what they are subjected to in Australia. Now THAT is racism.

What we have seen here is not a case for the CA or the BCCI - it is a case for the SPCA. At least the monkeys dont demolish our bowlers!!!

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th October 2007 at 00:54.
Old 18th October 2007, 01:24   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Steer,I was reading on some site (not sure if it was sify.com or cricinfo), that racism still prevails in the sports area in Australia.Its apparently very evident the way every single selection committee works.

Anyways, looking at how Symmonds was passing comments throughout the series..it makes me wonder what issues the guy faces ..
He doesn't like it when a bowler gets hit, he hates it when he's gotten out and in both cases the only thing he does first is to stare at the players and then make a comment or two. There's been quite some friction between him & Bajji,and the latter even mentioned that Symmonds needs a lesson or two on keeping his cool. Of West Indian origin, born in the UK,and residing in Australia..the guy has no clue about racism.

Read about racism in Oz:
Deccan Herald - 'Racism prevalent in sports in Australia'

Last edited by Nitin : 18th October 2007 at 01:31.
Old 18th October 2007, 01:35   #2043
Senior - BHPian

I remember, in the time when I followed cricket, Shane Warne and Arjuna Ranatunga had a little disagreement. Warne said some things about Ranatunga and his origins. Ranatunga replied that he came from a culture which had many hundreds and thousands of years of documented history, whereas everybody knew where the Australians came from.

Totally OT, but hilarious.

Weren't Ponting and someone else once wanted by the Mumbai police for misbehaving in a nightclub?
Old 18th October 2007, 11:50   #2044
BANNED

You guys forgetting Dean Jones comment which lost him his job as commentator .... :-)
Old 18th October 2007, 12:49   #2045
BHPian

I have seen Symonds along with his chump Darren Lehman man-handle Indian fans on the ground after their ODI loss in Bangalore in 2000/2001. After the game ended, these guys were playing rugby along with their physio. There were a few eager fans who wanted their autographs. It wasn't like these guys were ambusing the players or harassing them. They were just eager, all smiles and enamoured by the presence of international test players! The Aussies on the other hand were mocking them, shoving them around, hurling obscenities at them and enjoying it completely while they were at it. Unfortunately, the press was probably busy wrapping up after a day's work.

I am not sure how to classify what happened with Symonds. It is true that most of the Aussies are terrible losers and just cannot stand losing, and more so if its to a people of a darker race. But having said that, is it right on our part to stoop to their levels in an effort to get back at them?

I got an interesting sms in the morning that went a little along the lines of what Steer was mentioning earlier. It read "What is a race? - A group of ppl of common ancestry with distinguishing physical features. What is racism?- Hostile attitude or behaviour towards members of other races. Well, we can be happy that at least Andrew Symonds acknowledged the fact. And somebody please tell him there's no human race called ""monkey"".
Old 18th October 2007, 13:19   #2046
BHPian

Nice article

Racism: who are the real monkeys in the crowd?: Cricket Next
Old 18th October 2007, 13:24   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Whats the time of the T20 match at the CCI on 20th ?
Lets check who all are going? It should be fun.
Old 18th October 2007, 13:42   #2048
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Whats the time of the T20 match at the CCI on 20th ?
Lets check who all are going? It should be fun.

Twenty20 October 20 7:00:00 PM (IST) Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai
Old 18th October 2007, 15:00   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Who will be playing in this game? Same team that won T20 wcup or with seniors?
Old 18th October 2007, 18:09   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
a person who takes such pains to make himself look uglier than his parents and mother nature meant him to be should expect a crowd of a few 10,000s to take notice. person like Symonds who looks like he doesnt shave or brush his teeth often enough to know what he really looks like. Somebody here mentioned that he is too busy swimming with the sharks or hunting hogs. Mr. Symonds needs a good, long, hard look at himself in the mirror.

!!!
Couldn't control my outburst LOL
Rightly said steer.
Old 18th October 2007, 19:19   #2051
BANNED

Lets hope we can whip them in the T20 or as usual they will start their famous media wars .... these Aussies forget that they are probably the most rascist people as they still havn't gotten over their inferiority compex . the min responds to their taunts they don't know what to say and start HOWLING !!

Lets hope Sat is a good day for the men in blue ... :-)
Old 18th October 2007, 20:49   #2052
Senior - BHPian

I'd really like to see the Aussies get their rear ends whooped by the Indians. A younger team that played well in the T-20 WC..I hope they'r brought back in to repeat the performance.

It'll be fun to watch them board their Quantas flight back to Sydney..after losing yet another T-20 game
Old 19th October 2007, 08:13   #2053
BANNED

India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Yuvraj Singh (vice-captain), Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, Ajit Agarkar, Dinesh Karthik, Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Joginder Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, S Sreesanth, Irfan Pathan, Rudra Pratap Singh, Rohit Sharma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Who will be playing in this game? Same team that won T20 wcup or with seniors?
Old 19th October 2007, 10:00   #2054
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Yuvraj Singh (vice-captain), Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, Ajit Agarkar, Dinesh Karthik, Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Joginder Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, S Sreesanth, Irfan Pathan, Rudra Pratap Singh, Rohit Sharma.
Does anyone have any clue as to when Ajit Agarkar is planning to retire ... or does he have dreams of outlasting the youngsters even ?? The rest all look good ... I wanna see more of Yousuf Pathan as he showed in his brief innings last time that he can be a player to look out for as far as his BIG hitting goes .
Old 19th October 2007, 11:29   #2055
BANNED

Zaheer Khan in place of Ajit Agarkar would have been better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks