Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 14:18   #5701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I dont agree About comments on sachin. Does his 98 in first and 38 in second doesnt count as contribution? Its a team game. VVS scored 2 in first and 70 odd now so all are responsible for the win. IMO its a fantastic team effort. Bowlers and batsman both were fantastic.
And this is actually one of the best test matches i had seen. Still got goosebumps
We are still no.1
Absolutely agree to that. Sachin would be happier now with the win rather than score a 150 and the team loses.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:14   #5702
BHPian

If any one can break sachin's test centuries record, it has to be VVS. Just play him against Australia only. I don't know why he loves Aussies so much. He just makes them

I don't quite agree with others who say sachin's role is less in Indian wins. He may be a bad finisher, but his contributions are always important.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:20   #5703
BANNED

Hope you are kidding. If you are serious then VVS will need 5 re-births to come to close to the quantity Sachin has accumulated. When it comes to quality, of course, even Dravid has better ones. (Quality runs means runs when team requires most).

Sachin might have the best stance, best posture. I agree that his runs add to the total team runs. But when it comes to carrying the team past the finishing line, well, I don't remember any (atleast in Tests against top teams). It happened yesterday 1st Test: India v Australia and the match before that 3rd Test: Sri Lanka v India. Sachin's best knocks have been in losing matches.

If I were the opposing captain, I wouldn't be worried if Sachin was batting. Even Ponting endorses my view:
'I told some of guys last night that VVS Laxman would be our biggest worry and that's how it turned out.'
- Ricky Ponting, admitting that he anticipated VVS Laxman to fire, soon after the latter helped India eke out a memorable one-wicket win over Australia in the first Test at Mohali on Thursday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
If any one can break sachin's test centuries record, it has to be VVS.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:40   #5704
Team-BHP Support

There is only one hitch in the whole chain:

1. Still there is no successor to Dravid. (You wont find one for SRT)
2. If we re-collect, we always had a prince when the king ruled.
Gavaskar times we get Azhar
Azhar times we had Dravid/Laxman
Dravid times => ???

I have omitted SRT out of the list. My strong view as of today:

We are winning because of two folks:

1. Sehwag (Sheer speed of scoring )
2. Dravid/Laxman (I count then as one )! (Holding on for a day and also scoring at three-fourth the rate of Sehwag)

(Again consciously keep SRT out of the debate of his matchwinning situations. Having said that he rules above all of them).

Sehwag has time, but then he is at the top. What happens when Dravid/Lax/SRT retire. Who can stand pace/spin for a full day?
We dont have one promising guy who is showing talent.
(All this discussion is for test)

When Azhar was 35-/36 we had 21 year or SRT, (Already a senior), 20 year Dravid and 20 year old Ganguly on the ranks, ready to take on the mantle forward.

But now I do not see any one. I had some hopes on Rohit Sharma, but then he needs nurture. Who will sacrifice his testcap to make way for the youngster?

That is the question which Mr Krish Cheeka needs to address right in earnest.
I think he may be doing it, but may not be finding any one.

Last edited by ampere : 6th October 2010 at 11:41.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:40   #5705
Senior - BHPian

Sachin's knocks are not always in matches which India loses. His knocks have won many test matches for India including the recent one.

Maybe the thing that he does not do well is perform at his best in second innings or in a innings under pressure. (which VVS and Dravid do more).
Old 6th October 2010, 11:57   #5706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Maybe the thing that he does not do well is perform at his best in second innings or in a innings under pressure. (which VVS and Dravid do more).
Exactly. He has never been able to perform in pressure. The reason may be his batting top of the order. But I remember many a tests/ODI's when Sachin was expected to hold his nerve when the other batsmen were crumbling but he too would succumb to the pressure and India have lost matches.

I agree it cannot be expected from Sachin to score everytime he goes out to play, however with the kind of experience he has over the years of cricket playing one would definitley expect him to play sensibly and not throw his wicket.

No wonder inspite of having a world class record holding player like sachin we still havent won the world cup in recent times. My personal opinion only.

Gambhir/Raina can be nurtured to take place of VVS/Dravid

Last edited by ghodlur : 6th October 2010 at 11:58.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:00   #5707
BANNED

Its a typical lament of the outing generation towards incoming generation .
I am sure we will find people who does like Lax or Dravid. Oh yes, we will find one for SRT. He may not stand like him nor talk like him. He may even not accumulate loads of runs like him. But given a match, he will fight it out see the checkered flag .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Old 6th October 2010, 12:07   #5708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I am sure we will find people who does like Lax or Dravid. Oh yes, we will find one for SRT. He may not stand like him nor talk like him. He may even not accumulate loads of runs like him. But given a match, he will fight it out see the checkered flag .
I sincerely hope for that. Every player is unique and cannot be replaced. But all we need are folks who can get us through the checkered flag (as you rightly mention) !
Old 6th October 2010, 13:49   #5709
Team-BHP Support

I am sincerely hoping that Pujara is a worthy replacement for Dravid.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:02   #5710
BANNED

A very commendable act was the sportive spirit demonstrated by Ricky Ponting, in allowing Laxman to use a runner. I guess the laggers from the island below have a lot to learn.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:16   #5711
BHPian

Quote:
If any one can break sachin's test centuries record, it has to be VVS. Just play him against Australia only. I don't know why he loves Aussies so much.

Quote:
Hope you are kidding. [/i]
Of course I was kidding. Didn't I place this emoticon I just said that to highlight how much lakshman has dominated the aussies over the past decade. In 25 tests against Aus he scored 6 tons and 11 half-tons accumulating around 2500 or more runs. And he has publicly said that he likes to play against Aus

Quote:
Another aspect that we generally overlook is that the nature of the game changes with time and so does the approach. With the advent of ODI's the rate at which runs were scored changed drastically and this had its impact on tests also. We don't see someone playing like sunny, vengsarkar, G.Viswanath. Their approach and style were totally different. But we have Sachin, Dravid, Laxman who are a mix of modernity with the humbleness of classic era.

The only thing that worries me more than the quality of players is their nature and behaviour on and off the field. In the name of aggression, players are stooping so low on and off the field. My question is was Sachin, Dravid, Lakshman, Kumble less aggressive?

Once while giving an interview Dravid was asked why he doesn't sow aggression on field like some new generation players do these days. His answer was that for him aggression means trying to score runs and not giving away his wicket and finally winning the match. Also he said aggression is not buckling under pressure when everything is against you and standing tall and facing the opponent. He said he played every ball with aggression but only with the bat, not his mouth.

And then there is kumble who had the courage to bowl with a broken Jaw. Isn't that aggression. And also during finals of IPL 2009 he started the proceedings with a new ball against Gilly. Now how many players have the guts to do that?

There is no dearth of talent, only thing is it has to be together with humbleness and discipline.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 6th October 2010 at 17:20.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:19   #5712
BANNED

Talking of aggression, the most aggressive player in test cricket, Virender Sehwag is Test Cricketer of the Year - ICC Awards 2010

That used to happen before televison intruded the cricket fields. Now since camera is omnipotent, players known this and their behavior better than anytime in the past.
Quote:
In the name of aggression, players are stooping so low on and off the field.
Old 8th October 2010, 08:55   #5713
Senior - BHPian

Just got this in email about how India's loss/win and Sachin's loss and win impacts the Stock Market

[quote]
WASHINGTON: A new research shows that when India’s cricket team loses one-day internationals (ODIs), the stock market takes a beating, but if master blaster Sachin Tendulkar is on the losing side, the damage to bourses is even worse.

Research by economists Russell Smyth and Vinod Mishra of Monash University in Australia suggests the performance of the Indian cricket team in ODIs can impact the fortunes of the Indian stock market. “While a win by the Indian cricket team has no statistically significant upward impact on stock market returns, a loss generates a significant downward movement in the stock market,” Mr Smyth, the head of Monash University’s department of economics, said.

“India’s main index, the CNX Nifty, shows that the Nifty index was generally flat the day after a win, but the day following a loss, the index dropped by an average of 0.231%. The drop following a loss was more than seven times greater than the movement following a win,” Mr Smyth said. When Sachin Tendulkar is on the losing side, the loss on the stock market is almost 20% more. “In the 100 matches in which Tendulkar played and India lost, the average return the day after the match was 0.328%, an 18% higher drop compared to the average drop after losing a match (which Tendulkar did not play),” Mr Smyth said.

“A sporting event is a non-economic phenomenon and one might expect that stock prices will not be affected. However, behavioural finance suggests that large sporting events affect the sentiment of viewers-cum-investors, resulting in upwards or downwards ‘mood swings’ in the market, which are reflected in stock prices,” Mr Smyth said.

According to Mr Smyth and Mr Mishra, emotions can impact normally objective decision-making, the university release said.

“A feeling of sadness might make investors withdraw from the world and the stock market, thus resulting in reduced trading for a while, whereas anger might make them behave in an impulsive manner, which might involve selling of a lot of the stocks,” Mr Smyth said.

“When you are tuning in to follow how Australia performs against India in one-day internationals, before you write them off as meaningless matches, spare a thought for what the outcome might mean for Indian investors,” Mr Smyth said.
[\Quote]
Old 11th October 2010, 10:06   #5714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is only one hitch in the whole chain:

1. Still there is no successor to Dravid. (You wont find one for SRT)
2. If we re-collect, we always had a prince when the king ruled.
Gavaskar times we get Azhar
Azhar times we had Dravid/Laxman
Dravid times => ???

I have omitted SRT out of the list. My strong view as of today:

We are winning because of two folks:

1. Sehwag (Sheer speed of scoring )
2. Dravid/Laxman (I count then as one )! (Holding on for a day and also scoring at three-fourth the rate of Sehwag)

(Again consciously keep SRT out of the debate of his matchwinning situations. Having said that he rules above all of them).

Sehwag has time, but then he is at the top. What happens when Dravid/Lax/SRT retire. Who can stand pace/spin for a full day?
(All this discussion is for test)

When Azhar was 35-/36 we had 21 year or SRT, (Already a senior), 20 year Dravid and 20 year old Ganguly on the ranks, ready to take on the mantle forward.

But now I do not see any one. I had some hopes on Rohit Sharma, but then he needs nurture.
You are absolutely right. No replacements in sight at all. Maybe we will have a different kind of cricketers like raina etc instead of the hard grinding quality cricketers. test cricket is all set for a change. This situation is pretty much the same for all countries.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:15   #5715
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to Sachin Tendulkar for scoring his 49th Test 100, that too of a SIX.
It's his 6th 100 in this year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks