Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 10:46   #4201
BANNED

@VAP: When you do something for so long, at the highest level and believe in what you are doing it becomes an extension of yourself and is a very tough decision to let go. Its not about money, fame, etc.

I am not saying what they are doing is the right thing but spare a thought for these players who have given their all for the game.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th August 2008 at 10:47.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:58   #4202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAP View Post
Are they doing us a favour by playing because they think without them Indian cricket will touch rock bottom ? Do you think they are so selfless and foolish ? Why can't these people gracefully step down, plan their retirements and quit when people would say "why did he quit ?" rather than "good riddance !!!" ? No succession planning, making cricketers believe that they are bigger than the game and favoritism will ruin our game - one game that we can be proud of.
Everybody have bad patches in there career. This is one of them. We cannot expect to do well in all the matches, right? Yu may be right in Sachin and Ganguly's cae, but Dravid and Laxman have still the potential to give to cricket at least in test matches. If you see the records, they have seldom failed in the test matches except a few recent ones.

I'am not about the young players we have? Whether they will be able to perform inthe test matches. If they fail like one or two series, again people will start complaining the older lot was better....
Old 12th August 2008, 13:00   #4203
BANNED

What Spitfire means is, Fab 4 have become 'Institutional Men' of Cricket team.

Definition of Institutional Man: Prisoner kept behind bars for too long, unable to function as a free individual (out of prison).
Old 12th August 2008, 14:15   #4204
Senior - BHPian

Ok, replace sachin, saurav, dravid & Laxman. With what ? Rohit sharma, Yuvraj Singh, Kaif & Badrinath ?

I think we would be worse off. Sharma & Badrinath are not yet tested. Kaif & yuvraj have been there often enough not to make any serious impact. Seriously there is dearth in good quality middle order batmsmen in India.
Old 12th August 2008, 14:26   #4205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Everybody have bad patches in there career. This is one of them. We cannot expect to do well in all the matches, right? Yu may be right in Sachin and Ganguly's cae, but Dravid and Laxman have still the potential to give to cricket at least in test matches. If you see the records, they have seldom failed in the test matches except a few recent ones.

I'am not about the young players we have? Whether they will be able to perform inthe test matches. If they fail like one or two series, again people will start complaining the older lot was better....
Well till the time young players are not given a chance how will we get to know what they can do or not!
In this i highly regards the Aussies, there professionalism is above theie selfishness, Look at the examples of Warne,Mcgrath,Martyn,Langer, Gilchrist - all of these were not thrown out of the team but they voluntarily retired as they knew they are not contributing towards OZ cricket completely and hence made way for new players. Thats how it should be.
And here we see the Fab 4 sitting like Elephants and due to the dirty politics noone is trying to make them move. Reality is people who run cricket give a damn India wins or not. Its just we fans who do care!
Old 12th August 2008, 15:15   #4206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Ok, replace sachin, saurav, dravid & Laxman. With what ? Rohit sharma, Yuvraj Singh, Kaif & Badrinath ?
Don't know John but the sooner we try them out the better. Not that the exisitng ones are doing much - I really think they've reached the end of their tether
Old 12th August 2008, 16:19   #4207
Team-BHP Support

Yes E_L. They have to be replaced. These are the players who proved ervyone wrong with their success in the T20 and ODI format. Not sure about Kaif but Rohit Sharma definitely warrants a place in the side. Rohit for Saurav should be a straight swap. Yuvraj will have to come in if VVS or Dravid is dropped.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:34   #4208
Senior - BHPian

Would be very harsh to drop Laxman. Compared to other seniors Laxman has performed better inspite of coming down the order. Maybe they could bring in Rohit Sharma/ Yuvi in place of Dravid / Dada.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:11   #4209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Would be very harsh to drop Laxman. Compared to other seniors Laxman has performed better inspite of coming down the order. Maybe they could bring in Rohit Sharma/ Yuvi in place of Dravid / Dada.
Should Dravid be dropped ? I don't think so. One more series. And yes Laxman has to play. Its Australia next after all
Old 12th August 2008, 20:23   #4210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Should Dravid be dropped ? I don't think so. One more series. And yes Laxman has to play. Its Australia next after all
The australian series will ultimately decide who stays and who goes. And somehow i feel ganguly will be a goner for sure.
Old 12th August 2008, 21:18   #4211
VAP

Quote:
Yes E_L. They have to be replaced. These are the players who proved ervyone wrong with their success in the T20 and ODI format. Not sure about Kaif but Rohit Sharma definitely warrants a place in the side. Rohit for Saurav should be a straight swap. Yuvraj will have to come in if VVS or Dravid is dropped.
Hi All,

The question is not whether these 4 players are dropped or not - for that matter if they make themselves available the wise men in our selection panel will select them everytime for obvious reasons. My query is why these people do not take the option of planning their retirements and making a graceful exit !!!

And some of you are right in saying that we may be insecure if these 4 fantastic guys are not in the team but then nobody would have driven even a maruti 800 if we were so insecure about letting go what was once believed to be the best car on Indian roads "The Ambassador" (I love this car for its interioir comfort mind you )

Push the new team to the deep end of the pool and see the results in a years time. Nobody is irreplaceable - there is always someone to fill the gap albiet with a small delay.

Cheers,

VAP
Old 13th August 2008, 08:27   #4212
BANNED

You guys are debating about replacement for Fab 4 , give me a break.

Kick Fab 4 out, pick any of the 4 guys playing playing domestic cricket and India will win more
Old 13th August 2008, 11:14   #4213
Team-BHP Support

Life is not that easy Diabloo. You can't replace all 4 at the same time. Ganguly has to go first, and then someone who doesn't score against the Aussies.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:55   #4214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Life is not that easy Diabloo. You can't replace all 4 at the same time. Ganguly has to go first, and then someone who doesn't score against the Aussies.
I think it will be Sachin then Dravid and Laxman will fade off as it is. I'am not sure whether Sachin will complete his dream of overcoming Lara's runs in Aussies series also.
Old 13th August 2008, 16:44   #4215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I think it will be Sachin then Dravid and Laxman will fade off as it is. I'am not sure whether Sachin will complete his dream of overcoming Lara's runs in Aussies series also.
You must give him a break! True he has not scored in SL series but then he has scored in all the previous ones. Moreover he gets motivated whenever he sees Aussies so am sure he is gonna be on the mark provided he is fit and selected on the basis of fitness!
Same way Ganguly cant be injured cos he does nothing on field-batting/bowling and least of all fielding so no injury

Most Viewed