Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 11:56   #4126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What happened to The Wall? The Tiger? The Very Very Special One? And The Most 'Experienced' in the Business Today?
apologies if this sounds like trivializing the recent bomb blasts, but if these blasts hadn't occurred, the media would have 'TORN' these old fellows and trained all their guns on them. They are doing it now also but the 'fury' of the attack would have been of 'very high intensity'.
Old 28th July 2008, 11:56   #4127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What happened to The Wall? The Tiger? The Very Very Special One? And The Most 'Experienced' in the Business Today?
You see, they are dried up of practise and of course they are not getting money also from advts. They only play test matches which are once in a while. Hence the poor show.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:01   #4128
BHPian

The scenario of overseas tours is pretty repeatitive for India.

There will be one pratice match prior to test matches and the Indian team will hardly be ready to take on the opposition.

In the first test, Indian batsmen will be all at sea against the opposition bowlers and will cave in meekly.

There will be lots of hue & cry in the media and fans also will be baying for the blood of the cricketers. Lots of discussion / write ups on players over the hill etc.

In the subsequent tests, batsmen who are under scrutiny by the media and fans will be on their toes to perform and will put in an odd decent performance, thereby guaranting their place for the next tour. The media / fans will again feel that the player is coming back to form.

The same story will repeat again for the next overseas tour.
Old 29th July 2008, 14:41   #4129
BANNED

Tech Un-savvy Indians

Tech Un-savvy Indians

Despite being a techie, Kumble failed to utilize the umpire referral system, while the Lankans used to the maxmium effect, put pressure on TV umpire and 2 wrong decision in their favor

The turning point in the match was:

Murli to Sehwag: After the field umpire turned down an LBW appeal, Sri Lanka asked for the review. The third umpire over ruled the field umpire giving Sehwag out.
The ball had pitched 'just' on the leg-stump, hit the front pad first, then the back pad and would have definitely missed the leg stump. The third umpire, however, surprisingly wrongly ruled in the favour of the bowler

How the umpire referral system worked
Old 29th July 2008, 15:26   #4130
BANNED

why dosent the software give the decision? This is totally absurd. Why does the 3rd Umpire be bought in the picture? Let the software take the decision - no questions asked.
Old 29th July 2008, 16:52   #4131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
why dosent the software give the decision? This is totally absurd. Why does the 3rd Umpire be bought in the picture? Let the software take the decision - no questions asked.
I'm sorry, excuse my ignorance but I wasnt aware they've designed a software to take decisions during referrals.
As far as i knew, a referral is made to the third umpire when one of the captains thinks that the decision of the umpire is an incorrect one.
Old 29th July 2008, 19:28   #4132
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
I'm sorry, excuse my ignorance but I wasnt aware they've designed a software to take decisions during referrals.
As far as i knew, a referral is made to the third umpire when one of the captains thinks that the decision of the umpire is an incorrect one.
I was referring to hawk eye. Dosent it show the path of the ball after it pitches?
Old 29th July 2008, 20:34   #4133
Team-BHP Support

Noticed this very witty headline today at cricinfo. Thought I would share

England have dropped keepers almost as often as the keepers have dropped catches
Old 30th July 2008, 09:42   #4134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I was referring to hawk eye. Dosent it show the path of the ball after it pitches?
It does. But for Hawk-eye to be completely accurate, the cameras need to be in line with the stumps, which is not always the case. Most grounds in the world have a square in the middle with 2-4 pitches on them. Any of them can be used. The cameras which are behind the bowler or batsmen have just one position for them. They do not move along with the pitch. Hence, Hawkeye could be wrong in those cases where they are not completely in line. Its a good technology, but should not be taken as the sole criteria for judging LBW decisions, especially the close ones.
IMO, Sehwag was wrongly given out LBW to Murali. Sometimes we repose too much faith in technology, even when the said technology has been proven to be not 100% accurate.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:35   #4135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
It does. But for Hawk-eye to be completely accurate, the cameras need to be in line with the stumps, which is not always the case. Most grounds in the world have a square in the middle with 2-4 pitches on them. Any of them can be used. The cameras which are behind the bowler or batsmen have just one position for them. They do not move along with the pitch. Hence, Hawkeye could be wrong in those cases where they are not completely in line. Its a good technology, but should not be taken as the sole criteria for judging LBW decisions, especially the close ones.
IMO, Sehwag was wrongly given out LBW to Murali. Sometimes we repose too much faith in technology, even when the said technology has been proven to be not 100% accurate.
I dont think it is very difficult to make it 100% accurate. The position of the camera's can be moved according to the pitch being used(they are not fixed).

I dont think the camera's need to be mounted exactly behind the bowler or the batsmen(obstructed), but can be used from a height. I have seen some of the camera's used for military use they are highly sophistacted and can track the trajectory of a bullet travelling at much higher speed accurate to the 1/10000 of a milimeter.

Similiar camera's can be used for cricket too, cost i think is not a factor.

If you have to use technology use the best available - no one complains.

Technology can still be made perfect, human decisions cannot.
Old 31st July 2008, 17:11   #4136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Looks like this series gonna be curtains for Dravid, Ganguly and Kumble. Maybe even Laxman.
Sachin too won't last long. If he is sensible he'll retire himself.

\N
31.4 overs: India 167/0 Sehwag 101* (88b) Gambhir 56* (98b)

31.5 overs: Gambhir out

34.6 overs: India 178/4 Sehwag 105* (93b) Sachin out for 5, Dravid for 2 and Ganguly for 0.

And so India slipped from a position of immense strength to abject surrender. Time to get rid of the troika now.

\N
Old 31st July 2008, 17:29   #4137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Sachin out for 5, Dravid for 2 and Ganguly for 0.
Show some respect - thats the best middle order line up in India ...oops no no wait in THE WORLD.
Quote:
Time to get rid of the troika now.
Not yet - after the 2011 WC, we could start thinking on those lines.
Old 31st July 2008, 17:42   #4138
Senior - BHPian

Sheesh, another pathetic showing! We need to have ONE team for ODIs & Tests, high time. All the D.U.N.G. about who's "tailor made" for Tests now needs to stop. Get on with it & drop the garbage by the wayside - all 4 bags of it!
Old 31st July 2008, 17:47   #4139
BANNED

Looks like oldies have got their batting messed up after IPL !!

Some are play tests well, some ODIs well & some T20s well. But, kudos to Sehwag for reiterating that, he is the Best Batsman in the World in all forms of Cricket (Tests, ODIs, T20s).
Old 31st July 2008, 17:52   #4140
BHPian

And now the call will go out, once again...and for the nth time: Get rid of all the seniors! Watching the terrible display today - for once, I cant help but agree. I think I'm a convert now. Time for these guys to hang up their boots!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks