Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 05:47   #8281
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

I would like to see Australia win the Cup. They really have the ability to get the required support and momentum even from their reserves.

As for the Indian team - just a bunch of pretenders! Kohli better hope he is not made to eat humble pie.
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:42   #8282
Team-BHP Support

Thread for the World Cup Action - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...15-thread.html

This thread will reopen after the world cup is over.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:36   #8283
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread re-opened .
Old 29th May 2015, 15:15   #8284
Oxy
BHPian

Harbhajan Singh is back for the Bangladesh tour
Old 29th May 2015, 15:17   #8285
Team-BHP Support

Ha ha...

Truth be told, he bowled well in the IPL. Slower, flighted and turned the ball like a classic off spinner. But him playing test matches for India ? No way.

I am sure he will revert to darting 'em in as soon as he dons the white
Old 29th May 2015, 15:22   #8286
Senior - BHPian

IPL may be a test of ability for selection against weaker teams. However, it seems now that IPL has become the criterion for selection in test squad. So many players do well for 4 overs and/or 20 balls and that performance is extrapolated to 5 days. No wonder India gets creamed abroad (so far developed countries but could soon be our neighbours too). I do wish Harbhajan well, but he saw his best days perhaps somewhere in the last decade.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:48   #8287
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
it seems now that IPL has become the criterion for selection in test squad.
Lets face it, there is a dearth of good spinners in our country! And that is what made the selectors go back to Bhajji in the Test format. He did bowl well in IPL & he should be in serious contention for the T20 World Cup next year. From what i remember he didn't have a great domestic season.
What other options were there apart from Bhajji? Ojha & Mishra are the only ones i can think of.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:09   #8288
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Lets face it, there is a dearth of good spinners in our country! And that is what made the selectors go back to Bhajji in the Test format. He did bowl well in IPL & he should be in serious contention for the T20 World Cup next year. From what i remember he didn't have a great domestic season.
What other options were there apart from Bhajji? Ojha & Mishra are the only ones i can think of.
Mishra would have made much better sense for tests than dartbhajan. Also, Chawla could have been considered too.

We already have Ashwin so what was the point of picking another off spinner?

I am more disappointed with the ODI squad. Some very promising youngsters have been ignored. Deepak Hooda, Rishi Dhawan, Sanju Samson, Yuzvendra Chahal, Parvez Rasool, Sarfaraz Khan - all these guys should have been in the ODI squad. If you are not going to try your upcoming talent against Bangladesh of all teams, then there is no hope really.

Last edited by Oxy : 29th May 2015 at 19:12.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:15   #8289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Mishra would have made much better sense for tests than dartbhajan. Also, Chawla/Karn Sharma could have been considered.

We already have Ashwin so what was the point of picking another off spinner?

I am more disappointed with the ODI squad. Some very promising youngsters have been ignored. Deepak Hooda, Rishi Dhawan, Sanju Samson, Yuzvendra Chahal, Parvez Rasool, Sarfaraz Khan - all these guys should have been in the ODI squad. If you are not going to try your upcoming talent against Bangladesh of all teams, then there is no hope really.

Karn Sharma is promising. How well has he done in the Ranji Trophy ?

If he wants to play for India, Chahal will have to move away from Haryana. He cannot find a place in their 4 day team because of Mishra. But should be watched closely.

Among the ODI potentials that you've mentioned Hooda, Rasool & Khan have only had 1-2 good IPL games. Not enough IMO.
Old 29th May 2015, 19:24   #8290
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Karn Sharma is promising. How well has he done in the Ranji Trophy ?

If he wants to play for India, Chahal will have to move away from Haryana. He cannot find a place in their 4 day team because of Mishra. But should be watched closely.

Among the ODI potentials that you've mentioned Hooda, Rasool & Khan have only had 1-2 good IPL games. Not enough IMO.
Karn Sharma is in the test squad. Edited my original post.
Old 29th May 2015, 21:02   #8291
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the selectors have done a good job with the ODI squad as Bangladesh cannot be taken lightly on current form. They could have added a couple of new names but it would have been a futile exercise as most probably those players would have had to sit on the bench.

On the test front, I hope they stick with mostly the same players that played the last match at Sydney, the XI should be Vijay, Rahul, Rohit, Kohli, Rahane, Saha, Ashwin, Harbhajan, Karn/Yadav, Bhuvi, Aaron

Also, is anyone watching the Eng-NZ test series? Somehow nowadays, the presence of NZ makes every match seem exciting, maybe it's due to McCullum and his captaincy.
Even now he is playing a superb innings.
Old 29th May 2015, 21:21   #8292
Senior - BHPian

Considering the controversy regarding Chanderpaul farewell series what's the opinion of fellow T-BHPians regarding Dhoni's retirement.
I have huge regards for Chanders but still feel that the Best XI should always be selected and am pretty sure Chanders will win his place back in the best playing XI.
Also my respect for Dhoni has increased after this controversy.

Last edited by carwatcher : 29th May 2015 at 21:22.
Old 29th May 2015, 21:42   #8293
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, Chawla could have been considered too.
Those IPL rookies you have mentioned have very little domestic experience. Let them first make a name for themselves in domestic cricket, Rasool & Rishi Dhawan would be an exception i guess. I wouldn't even take them in the India 'A' team as yet!
Old 1st June 2015, 14:15   #8294
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Considering the controversy regarding Chanderpaul farewell series what's the opinion of fellow T-BHPians regarding Dhoni's retirement.
I have huge regards for Chanders but still feel that the Best XI should always be selected and am pretty sure Chanders will win his place back in the best playing XI.
Also my respect for Dhoni has increased after this controversy.
Honestly, the respect I had for Chanders took a nosedive when he sulked in the media following his non selection.

He's 40 and woefully out of form. I think the WI selectors did the right thing as he is well past it now and the team needs to move on.

And I have seen him bat very selfishly countless number of times. Whenever he happens to be batting with the tail, he would take a single off the first or second ball of the over and expose the tailender, so that his career batting average does not look bad. Another stats obsessed player like SRT.

He is currently some 80 odd runs short of going past Lara to become the highest scoring WI batsman in test cricket history. In my opinion, he really wants that record badly. But in all honesty, even if he would have been selected, he would still struggle to get these 80 runs in two tests against a side like Australia on current form.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:31   #8295
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Truth be told, he bowled well in the IPL. Slower, flighted and turned the ball like a classic off spinner. But him playing test matches for India ? No way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
IPL may be a test of ability for selection against weaker teams. However, it seems now that IPL has become the criterion for selection in test squad.
May god bless our selectors...and infuse some grey matter where it matters
This may turn out to be a great success story for Bhajji against the Bangaldeshis but that will only make our selectors affirm their thinking, I dread that situation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks