Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 10:51   #8146
Senior - BHPian

Very very sad. May he RIP.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:52   #8147
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Exrtremely sad piece of news. My heart goes to the family and fans. Also, feel really bad for Sean Abbot, I hope he can recover from this, must be extremely tough on him.
And an extremely sad day for the cricket world.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:54   #8148
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad and shocking to hear about the passing away of Phil Hughes, was a great talent! May his soul RIP.
ICC and Boards definitely need to think & review safety for batsmen, the helmet is seeming not enough security for the batsmen
Old 27th November 2014, 11:10   #8149
Senior - BHPian

Very sad. Hopefully helmets will be re-designed to protect the head completely (carbon fibre?)
Old 27th November 2014, 11:46   #8150
Senior - BHPian

May your soul RIP, Philip Hughes
Old 27th November 2014, 12:07   #8151
BANNED

Shocking news to say the least. I shudder to think about our young kids in thousands who are playing this game in crowded grounds and without much protection.

May his soul RIP
Old 27th November 2014, 12:27   #8152
BHPian

truly sad. he was one of the likeable aussie cricketers - calm and gentle.

it was a freak accident though. the bouncer burst a key artery in the neck which led to severe cerebral hemorrage, something that otherwise would been a painful blow to the neck region only, had it been an inch or two away. tough luck for the poor guy.

truly sad.
R I P hughsey
Old 27th November 2014, 14:07   #8153
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
I shudder to think about our young kids in thousands who are playing this game in crowded grounds and without much protection.
Some 22 matches are played at the same time at Azad Maidan in Mumbai. And there is no sight of an Ambulance!
Old 27th November 2014, 14:44   #8154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Some 22 matches are played at the same time at Azad Maidan in Mumbai. And there is no sight of an Ambulance!
Hopefully, this event makes people start to take safety seriously and give it the importance it deserves, especially with the young kids.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:17   #8155
BHPian

When I was 12, I got hit on my temple by a cork ball sixer hit in some other match happening on the other side of the ground. I crashed on the ground. Was disoriented for a couple of hours. Suffered from headaches for two weeks.

Not once, did anyone mention CT scan. Not once did anyone explain how serious it could have been. Think about it. A cork ball - on a sixer trajectory - landing squarely on your temple...

I shudder when I look back over the shoulder and remember this incident. I am lucky to be alive. Sadly, Phil Hughes is not that lucky.

May his soul rest in peace.
Old 27th November 2014, 17:10   #8156
Senior - BHPian

A very sad incident. Condolences to his family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
I shudder to think about our young kids in thousands who are playing this game in crowded grounds and without much protection.
There are just 100 cases reported so far in history of medical science with this type of injury and 1st one with a cricket ball. The hit, angle, force is very freakish and might never happen. Nevertheless we might see helmet manufactures adding a bit of protection at the back.
Old 27th November 2014, 21:58   #8157
Senior - BHPian

Now Safety concerns are raised on this thread too. Cricket is very safe game and in its very long history there have not been even 10 fatalities so far.
If someone has read it or not, even the helmet manufacturer has informed that they had already introduced improved version of the helmet which could have avoided the injury and were wondering as to why Hughes was still using the old helmet. So all I can say is he was unfortunate.
I request fellow members to kindly restrain from blowing this issue out of proportion and turn this into yet another safety thread.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:28   #8158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Now Safety concerns are raised on this thread too. Cricket is very safe game and in its very long history there have not been even 10 fatalities so far.
If someone has read it or not, even the helmet manufacturer has informed that they had already introduced improved version of the helmet which could have avoided the injury and were wondering as to why Hughes was still using the old helmet. So all I can say is he was unfortunate.
I request fellow members to kindly restrain from blowing this issue out of proportion and turn this into yet another safety thread.
The fact is a few players were ridiculed by the crowds, commentators, rival players for wearing the new helmet when it was introduced. As the fatalities are few and occur after years, safety is ignored . I remember people around me in college ridiculing Ganguly for wearing those oversized chest guards and elbow guards .
Old 27th November 2014, 23:38   #8159
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to hear the news about Phil Hughes. May his soul RIP. The only fatality I remember on the cricket field has so far been Raman Lamba, while fielding. This was a freak incident. Very unlucky for Hughes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
When I was 12, I got hit on my temple by a cork ball sixer hit in some other match happening on the other side of the ground.
I escaped something similar when I was in school. I was talking to a friend by the side of the school ground, when a normal cricket ball was hit in my direction, a sixer hit like you said. Some of my other friends spotted it and called out to me. I was discussing something so important with my friend, that I motioned to them with my hands to wait. They they shouted my name. I got angry at them for disturbing me, turned my head towards them to shout back at them and "whoosh", the ball passed right by my ear.
Old 28th November 2014, 15:55   #8160
Team-BHP Support

Google AU pays their respects:

Name:  IijI8C4.png
Views: 276
Size:  27.9 KB

R.I.P. Hughes.

Most Viewed