Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 23:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

I have heard and seen that 5* hotels use an extra (separate) piece of cushion which is called featherbed (google it). The thick cushion goes under the sheets and above the standard mattress. These featherbeds are filled with real geese feathers which gives that softness feel. The use of geese feathers is still being criticised by PETA i guess. So few hotels have started to explicitly state that "no geese feather used".

If anyone has any contact in a hotel, they can share the distributor / dealer name.

Cheers.

EDIT: The handmade cotton mattress are the best for anyone. I had a 6*4 mattress which was around 20kg. I suggest, have the guy add 20% - 50% (depending on budget) more cotton so once it settles down, you would love it.

Last edited by quadra : 24th May 2012 at 23:12.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:04   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Who the hell is Viking here?
Can't PM you since you are a newbee. PM me your mail id and i'll give the contact details.

I really don't know the technical differences apart from the fact that they both are pocketed.
Jaguar - Sorry, I typed your forum name incorrectly. I am unable to PM you or send you a message via your email from your profile page. Can you send me an email through my user profile page? please advise
Old 29th June 2012, 17:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Just today I bought a Sobha Restoplus - Alfa Premium pocketed spring mattress (78x60) for ~14k. Can give you a review only after a couple of months Which model was for 22k?

I was also tempted for Snoozer, but the long wait period put me off, plus I got a good discount for the Sobha Restoplus.
I also bought Sobha restoplus - alfa premium pocketed spring mattress (6.25 ft X 5 ft) for ~19k. There was a problem with the mattress, in one of the side when we sit or lay down the bottom of the mattress is hit (guess this is a problem with the springs). The other 3 sides are fine.

We raised a complaint and Sobha has agreed to replace it with a new one. I just wanted to know about your experience so far. Earlier we were using coir mattress. Since it had completed 6 years of use, we opted for a new one. Do you find the mattress comfortable? In our case whenever we lie down, there is a strange feeling that our legs are well above our head . Not sure if this is the case with all spring mattresses.
Old 29th June 2012, 17:46   #49
BHPian

We used to have the Sleep well mattresses since the time they launched, however after few years of usage they used to go hollow at some places. This caused me to have Cervical problem. That's when the doctor advised to have cotton mattresses customized.

For the last 14-15 years, have been doing the same and never have these customized mattresses gone hollow due to sitting on the edge or over sleeping and have never once faced the cervical issue since then.

Every time we have to buy or change the mattress, we get the cotton ones done.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:11   #50
kcz
BHPian

Have started spending more time on T-BHP and realized there are discussions on non-automobile topics as well.

Just wanted to give some feedback on Snoozer mattress, the brand I recently discovered and bought.
After having used the Kurlon (rubberised coir) mattress for around 6 yrs, I recently purchased a Snoozer mattress online. The delivery was pretty quick. Looks like the issue with long delivery times someone was mentioning earlier was sorted out. There is a world of difference between the earlier mattress and the snoozer one and the comfort is pretty good. I tried PEPS spring mattresses as well before deciding on snoozer (although snoozer ones are priced a little higher than other choices).
Old 5th October 2012, 12:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
Have started spending more time on T-BHP and realized there are discussions on non-automobile topics as well.

Just wanted to give some feedback on Snoozer mattress, the brand I recently discovered and bought.
After having used the Kurlon (rubberised coir) mattress for around 6 yrs, I recently purchased a Snoozer mattress online. The delivery was pretty quick. Looks like the issue with long delivery times someone was mentioning earlier was sorted out. There is a world of difference between the earlier mattress and the snoozer one and the comfort is pretty good. I tried PEPS spring mattresses as well before deciding on snoozer (although snoozer ones are priced a little higher than other choices).
Can you plz share at what price you bought it.
Old 7th October 2012, 11:08   #52
kcz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gava View Post
Can you plz share at what price you bought it.
i purchased two mattresses. One king size (snoozer posture care) for master bedroom and one queen size (snoozer classic) for parents in my home town. The damage was 50k for posture care and 25k for classic. I bought it from an online retailer based our of Bangalore. Used a coupon for a 7% discount and negotiated a bit more discount as I paid through bank transfer. Even if I assume a life time of 10 yrs, we are talking about 15Rs per night of good sleep! I am loving it so far! Let me know if you need more details.
Old 8th October 2012, 01:04   #53
BHPian

Can someone tell me where I could get a customized cotton mattress done in bangalore? I notice that nobody talks about a customized foam mattress. Why is that?
Old 8th October 2012, 10:21   #54
BHPian

Our Kurl On mattress has got permanent "pot holes" which cannot be repaired. Hence we are in the process of buying a new one. When my wife went to enquire at various shops, she was told of a new material called "Recron". All the shops she visited said that the Recron mattress will be the best option as they are cheaper compared to foam as well as spring type mattresses. According to them the Recron material is similar to most pillows available now a days. It will adjust it's shape according to the shape of the body and once you get up, it will come back to the normal shape. The durability claimed by these shops for Recron mattresses is at least 10 years. One shop keeper also mentioned that Recron is a warm material and the mattress has to covered with a thick cloth after which the bed sheet has to be put. The average cost of a Recron mattress for a queen sized bed is around 6000 while most coir or spring mattresses start from 12000 onwards. Would be glad if someone can share their experiences with the Recron mattress.
Old 8th October 2012, 20:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Our Kurl On mattress has got permanent "pot holes" which cannot be repaired. Hence we are in the process of buying a new one. When my wife went to enquire at various shops, she was told of a new material called "Recron".
This may be of some help:

http://www.ril.com/html/business/recron.html
Old 10th October 2012, 05:34   #56
BHPian

Recron sounds like it is a substitude for cotton. Is it eco friendly?
http://www.ril.com/html/business/py_ff_know.html
http://www.ril.com/html/business/py_ff_faqs.html

I would like to know if anybody makes mattresses with this material in bangalore ....

Last edited by mkuruvil : 10th October 2012 at 05:44.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:40   #57
BHPian

Found a guy in Sanjaynagar who will do cotton mattress

960 ruppes cloth
25 kg of cotton at 65/kg
500 rupees labor charges.

He knew about recron, but did not seem to favour doing it. Probably would cut into his profits.
Old 10th October 2012, 19:04   #58
BHPian

I checked out the snoozer mattress. It was very comfortable. The only problem that I see with it is that it is having spring inside. We need to ensure that we remember to get rid of it after 10 years. The spring will lose its elasticity over time. Some will get deformed and this will lead to back ache if we continue to use it beyond its recommended life.
Old 11th October 2012, 09:01   #59
BHPian

Whew, more stuffs:
http://www.myessentia.com/research/mattress-allergies
http://www.myessentia.com/research/choosing-a-mattress
http://www.myessentia.com/research/g...xic-components
Old 12th October 2012, 10:52   #60
BHPian

In the final analysis, I concluded that all this "memory foam" under 40K was cr*p, because
1) we don't know how many inches of memory foam can provide real benefits.
2) Memory foam is made using harsh chemicals.
3) Memory foam is very expensive. and we are getting for under 40K.

Spring was ruled out as I read that a spring mattress can double its weight in 10 years because of dust mites and their "leftovers"

Rubberized coir was ruled out as it is not very durable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks