Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 13:57   #76

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
Here are the answers to the queries...
Thanks a pile Kiran, for all the information.
Don't bother with the photos of the mattress since:
(a) I have gone and seen one in a local shop here.
(b) There are photos on Fabmart's web site.
Wish you a safe and pleasurable travel.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:08   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanandb View Post
You might want to check this article on buying a mattress.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:34   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanandb View Post
this article might be something that will be useful for someone who's confused.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:59   #79

Delighted. Most informative.
Thanks areddy.
Old 19th March 2013, 20:47   #80
BHPian

Every morning I wake up with sore back. Putting it conversely is also true: sore back wakes me up every morning. I suspect it may be because of mattress. Currently I am using an old Kurlon coir foam mattress. What type of mattress should I consider?
Old 21st March 2013, 10:53   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Currently I am using an old Kurlon coir foam mattress. What type of mattress should I consider?
I was also using a Kurl On coir foam mattress which did not last more than 3 years. It developed a permanent sag after 2 years which was not repairable. Coir foam mattresses come with just 1 or 2 years warranty. Depending on your budget you can explore various options. I got a good foam mattress with a warranty of 15 years. Check out the details in my previous post: Here
Old 21st March 2013, 17:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guite, I recently moved from a nearly decade+ old, 4" Kurl On coir foam 'Klassik' to a 8" Springwel 'Fusion' mattress. This has a base layer of coir with pocketed springs and then 2" of Natural 'Talalay' Latex with some other layers in between. I find it very comfortable to sit on and of course to sleep in too. I do realize that maybe a 6" one would have given me more support while sitting and could have saved some money too in the process. There is one concern though and that is of the quilt puffing up after long period of sitting in. I have made a complaint and the company is 'looking in to the matter'.

The more I researched mattresses earlier this year, the more I was convinced that natural latex is indeed the best material to sleep on and now with my experience with the 2" of latex on the springwel, am now considering two mattresses for the second half of my bed. One is a 100% all natural 'Dunlop' latex mattress made by Serta and the other is a proprietary foam mattress made by a company called Magniflex with 1/2" of memory foam quilted in to the cover. The latter is in consideration only because the Serta costs a pretty penny. Springel makes one but in 6", I have asked them whether they will make one in 8" for me but am yet to hear from them, so the search for an affordable all 'Talalay' latex mattress continues. If nothing come up on the radar and springwel resolves my complaint then the second mattress too will be a Fusion.

If you have the time and are so inclined then visit the Kirtinagar market. Springwel, Tempur as well as Sleepwell have their company showrooms here and you will find all the other major brands being sold in the country on display viz Serta, Relaxan (Peps India), Magniflex, King Coil and many more. Best part is that this market is open over the weekend. You may also want to look at Seely's (or is it Sealy) new showroom on Ring Road in Lajpat nagar part II. If you get a look at the Sealy, do post a feedback.

Here are some web sites to look at

http://springwel.in/sublisting-7-mattress-selfcat-11
http://sleepwellproducts.com/
http://www.magniflexindia.com/gallery_4.html
http://pepsindia.com/Home.html
http://www.sertaindia.com/offlinecat...apedic-harmony
http://www.sealy.in/
http://www.kingkoil.com/

Quote:
Every morning I wake up with sore back. Putting it conversely is also true: sore back wakes me up every morning. I suspect it may be because of mattress. Currently I am using an old Kurlon coir foam mattress. What type of mattress should I consider?
Old 21st March 2013, 20:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Depending on your budget you can explore various options. I got a good foam mattress with a warranty of
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The more I researched mattresses earlier this year, the more I was convinced that natural latex is indeed the best material to sleep on and now with my experience with the 2" of latex on the springwel, am now considering two mattresses for the second half of my bed.
Thanks for the feedbacks. I have not ventured out for physical exploration yet. As and when I do, Kirti Nagar will be on my list.

I think I need a firm mattress. The kinds of foam mattress I have come across are soft. Is latex firm?
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

PU foam mattresses will always be soft and will 'give in' way too much when under weight. I find them too soft even with springs under them.

Latex is definitely firmer than PU and is used as the weight bearing layer beneath the PU foams in furniture seats, however I do not have any experience with a 100% latex mattress. Having said that the one that I am using as described earlier is firm enough to support me even when I am sitting. I am emphasizing on this as in sitting the entire body weight is concentrated on a very small area and the mattress is stable with no undue 'give' and yet comfortable for hours together. So I will have to say that the 2" of latex is firm enough for me.

Quote:
I think I need a firm mattress. The kinds of foam mattress I have come across are soft. Is latex firm?
Old 15th April 2013, 11:51   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Not sure about NASA and all, but yes spring-latex combo is very very comfortable (best of the lot) but NOT worth the premium (price). I bought it used and those were the best months of sleeping.
I was in search of a mattress to replace my 8-year old Duroflex coir-foam combo and this is the only article I found on the entire web on mattress buying in India

Since this thread gave me so much, I am adding my experience below.

Most matresses seem to come in two or more layers, i.e with a base and a padding (sometimes on top and bottom). In price by descending order, here's how they stack up.

BASE:
  1. Pocketed springs (most expensive)
  2. Bonnel springs
  3. Coir
  4. Regular foam.

From personal experience with my Duroflex mattress, coir becomes heavy over time and the thicker the mattress, the more it sags in the center. My personal experience is that the thicker 6 inch mattresses wear faster than the thinner 4 inch ones. Having had all sorts of aches over the past year, I will never buy a coir mattress ever again. Buy only if you plan to use it temporarily for less than 5 years.

PADDING:
  1. Memory foam
  2. Latex
  3. Regular foam

International memory foam prices seem to be all over the park. Since one can never be sure what quality of memory foam the manufacturer is using and since they may also use different quality of foam based on model, I decided to go with latex that seems to have a somewhat uniform price. Plus when I tried both memory foam and latex with Raha, I felt latex to be much more comfortable. Thanks also for panky12345's comment above that helped me decide to select a spring-latex combo.

A few other things I found out:
  • Dealers in Bangalore seem to steer customers first towards Restolex, Springwell, Sleepwell and then others such as Peps, Duroflex and only finally towards Raha or Sobha.
  • Dealer margins are huge. So if one decides to go with the established brands, I suggest you go to the distributor. One Sleepwell dealer offered a discount on MRP of 5% after haggling whereas the Sleepwell distributor offered a 20% discount without batting an eyelid.
  • After reading up on pillow-tops, I decided not to take a mattress with one.
  • Some mattresses have the same padding on two sides so that the bed can be rotated 4 times. Knowing how hard it is to rotate a king-size bed without having to flip it over, I decided to just buy with latex on one side.

Now as to what I bought, I got a Sobha Restoplus mattress. I had decided on Raha but I changed my mind when I saw that Raha had latex on bonnel springs whereas Sobha had latex on pocketed springs. I visited Sobha's showroom in Cambridge Layout and I was impressed by the quality of materials. Their prices are also reasonable. The 10 inch mattress that I bought comes with a 10 year guarantee. After sleeping on it for a couple of days, I wake up refreshed in the morning. Best of all, my son's constant tossing and turning at night no longer wakes up me or my wife.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 14:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Best of all, my son's constant tossing and turning at night no longer wakes up me or my wife.
Glad could be of some help.. thats the beauty of pocketed springs. Just to ensure longevity, make sure you turn the same as per the schedule.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:10   #87
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I was in search of a mattress to replace my 8-year old Duroflex coir

of all, my son's constant tossing and turning at night no longer wakes up me or my wife.
Even i am on the lookout to replace my 7year duroflex coir mattress. I am zeroing in on coir+latex combo. I too think the MRPs are inflated as most dealers i talked to straightaway offered 15-20% discount on MRP. What was your conclusion on coir+latex or pure latex?

Can you please share the model, thickness and price you purchased for?
Old 15th April 2013, 15:27   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Glad could be of some help.. thats the beauty of pocketed springs. Just to ensure longevity, make sure you turn the same as per the schedule.
panky12345: Thanks a lot for your insightful initial post that helped me decide! Will remember to turn this mattress as I really didn't know about it until recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Even i am on the lookout to replace my 7year duroflex coir mattress. I am zeroing in on coir+latex combo. I too think the MRPs are inflated as most dealers i talked to straightaway offered 15-20% discount on MRP. What was your conclusion on coir+latex or pure latex?

Can you please share the model, thickness and price you purchased for?
I will never buy coir again. Coir gets heavy after use and to me its just not durable enough. I doubt if coir can last for 10 years which is the warranty on my Sobha mattress. Also please read panky12345's original post where he mentions briefly on coir + latex.

I think pure (full) latex may be too expensive. I purchased the Inspirations model of Sobha Restoplus which has pocketed springs and 135 mm latex top. I bought the 10 inch one only for the 10 year warranty. Since, I am into latex these days I also bought Sobha full latex pillows. I recommend these too.

I got a very good price from the dealer who sold me the original Duroflex. If you decide on Sobha, PM me and I can share you the details. By the way, the Inspirations model is not there in the Cambridge Layout showroom, so I tried the next higher model with latex pillow-top. However I did not like the pillow-top much.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:59   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now as to what I bought, I got a Sobha Restoplus mattress.
Thanks for info .

What size is this bed and how much was the cost and discounts ?. I am Looking for either King or Queen size bed . First I need to buy a cot (May be there is a thread for this too ) .
Old 15th April 2013, 16:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also bought Sobha full latex pillows. I recommend these too.
Try Goose Down pillows

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks