Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 21:28   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Post it on OLX or any of the sell buy sites or lug it to the nearest night / homeless shelter.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:54   #197
BHPian

Shifu, Thanks for the update. BHPians, please post your experience with Sobha restoplus Alfa premium 8inch mattress of 78*36 (6.5 feet in length and 3 feet wide) dimensions
Old 28th November 2014, 19:26   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Guys, I have shortlisted Raha 8" Pocketed spring with Foam mattress and Sobha Restoplus Alfa premium 8" pocketed spring with foam.

The measurement is 78" by 36". (6.5 feet length and 3 feet wide).

The rate quoted is 13.5k for Raha and 18k for Sobha.
Please share your thoughts/feedback and help me decide/finalize the mattress.
Your timely inputs will contribute to my lovely sleep
My current mattress is worn out and I need to get a new one soon.
Thanks in advance
Raha WAS a good brand but now it is down the drain. They exited India sometime back and have come back recently and do not have a good product.

Sobha on the other hand has a decent product, but their pricing strategy is very misleading. They sell through the roadside retailers who are used to selling at a 30-40% discount and to accommodate that they have significantly hiked their product prices. Even after the discount, they are not value for money.

Same goes for Eclipse too. They are a pretty big brand outside, but in India product quality and pricing are poor and service is non-existent.
Old 9th December 2014, 15:43   #199
BHPian

Hi,

From the last two years, I was using Sleepwell Duet Luxury (Memory Foam + Latex + Super Bond foam, costed Rs. 25k for 75" x 60" x 5") without any issues but recently had to exchange bed with other family members who were using Peps Bonnel Spring mattress. I'm not happy with Peps at all as it sinks a lot while sitting and wife is also having some back ache. Hence, planning to buy a new mattress or maybe a latex topper to replace/use on top of Peps mattress. Got in touch with an industrial latex supplier who quoted the following for 78" x 72" x 4" size Latex (basically two sheets of 78" x 36" x 4"):

Rs. 14,000/- for two sheets of latex
Rs. 800/- for cover (Bombay Dyeing white cotton cloth cover)
Approx. Rs 500/- for Delivery charges
10 year warranty (I'm skeptical about this as who will have time to chase these guys)

Just wanted to know if the above prices are reasonable or on higher side for Mumbai. A similar mattress from a mid-tier mattress company may be available for the same price I guess.

Also thinking of experimenting with cotton mattress. Where can I find a good cotton mattress manufacturer in South or Central Mumbai, any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 9th December 2014, 16:06   #200
BHPian

Guys,

In the market for a Queen-size Mattress.
Typically looking for 6/10* kind of mattress.
*( 1 being the softest & 10 being the hardest )
I think that means - Bonnell spring OR Pocket springs.

I found Springtek (Duroflex) Royal - to be very close to what I want. ~ @13K (at local store).

The online stores are so scanty with information, I am not happy.
Local stores - have only "unique" pieces to display- that makes it difficult to compare with other stores/products)
(meaning- I don't find the same mattress anywhere else!)

Budget : 10K~15K (max)
Size : 80" x 60"
Availability : Pune (or Online)

Thanks,

Ace.

EDIT: For now, I can't look at the memory foam/latex options with the allotted budget. Are there "top/cover" kinda options available to put on top of a mattress I have?

Last edited by driverace : 9th December 2014 at 16:11.
Old 9th December 2014, 19:07   #201
Senior - BHPian

Lots of interesting info. Never imagined we can get so much detailed advice on mattresses.

Considering 2 queen sized ones, min 5 inch thickness. Which are the highly recommended mattresses brands and models? Nothing fancy, just need good sleep.
Old 14th January 2015, 23:53   #202
Senior - BHPian

For pure latex there are only two who get it right

1. MM foam based in Chennai itself, makes mattress using the traditional Dunlop process.

and

2. Springair (subsidiary of Springair US) based in Noida markets pure latex mattress under the name nature's rest. The latex block itself is imported from Latex international also of the US. This one is made using the modern Talalay process.

Cost wise both would be at par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Lots of interesting info. Never imagined we can get so much detailed advice on mattresses.

Considering 2 queen sized ones, min 5 inch thickness. Which are the highly recommended mattresses brands and models? Nothing fancy, just need good sleep.
Old 15th January 2015, 00:12   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Guys,

In the market for a Queen-size Mattress.
Typically looking for 6/10* kind of mattress.
*( 1 being the softest & 10 being the hardest )
I think that means - Bonnell spring OR Pocket springs.
Buy pocket springs only. Bonnell springs will mean your partner's movements on bed will awake you and vice versa. The whole bed moves when anyone moves on the bed. In case of pocket springs, the bed stays firm even if one gets up or shifts position.

I am using Boston spring bed purchased from Paytm. I got it at a good price, and so far it is going good. Only one month's use, but I like it so far.

There is a 35% off going on on paytm on mattresses, you may check it out. My experience of buying 2 mattresses has been good.

EDIT: As you are considering hard mattress, spring mattress may not be the way you want to go. If you are keen on spring, then stick with 6" one, as 8" thick one will be softer.

Last edited by ani_meher : 15th January 2015 at 00:20.
Old 17th January 2015, 23:09   #204
Senior - BHPian

Folks, looking for a new mattress in size 78X60.
Hardness 7-8/10, 10 being hardest.
Thickness is not a problem

I have a Sleepwell Alpha, which already sagged in 2 years use. Called them for guarantee replacement and realized that the guarantee is a joke. They provide replacement only if there is sagging of 1.5 inch when nobody is on the bed.

Looking for a harder one as my neck started developing pain/complications. My height is 6'2"; hence will need atleast 78 inch length.
Old 1st February 2015, 18:12   #205
BHPian

I have been using a Kurlon Spinecare (Memory Foam) since 2006. The mattress has held its shape well, though from day 1, the sides seem to cave in when someone sits or lies down on it. I figure the side walls of the mattress cannot remain firm when weight is on it. The one beef I have with the mattress is the weight. It is impossible for us to take it to a terrace or any area where we can expose it to sunlight. As a result I have called in mattress cleaners who come in and give it a good wet wash with vacuum a couple of times till date. I found no other way to really clean it. I also have a mattress protector on it to keep dust away.
Anyway, I have come to realize that I usually sleep very well when I am on business travel (India or abroad), while I usually wake up with a backache when I am at home. I am now looking for a mattress topper to improve the quality of my sleep. Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated.
Old 1st February 2015, 21:13   #206
Senior - BHPian

Take a closer look at your pillow, that could be the actual reason for theproblem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Anyway, I have come to realize that I usually sleep very well when I am on business travel (India or abroad), while I usually wake up with a backache when I am at home. I am now looking for a mattress topper to improve the quality of my sleep. Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated.
Old 1st February 2015, 21:32   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Take a closer look at your pillow, that could be the actual reason for theproblem.

Good point. Should have mentioned we all use memory foam pillows at home. I have the Kurlon contour pillow for myself as well as two other regular kurlon memory foam pillows for my arm and legs of differing density. I tried switching pillows and varied the thickness too but didn't help much. So thought would attempt to make my mattress hotel-like by adding the soft topper.
Old 13th February 2015, 20:09   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In my humble experience, "stiff neck" points to an incorrectly chosen pillow for your mattress (rule of thumb is go for a firm pillow with a firm mattress and vice versa).

In the case of DIYGUY, since you have problem with your back, it is most likely the mattress and not the pillow. Looks like you tried changing the pillow and obviously it did not make any difference.

The problem is multi-fold:

1. Mattress is past it due date. Typically mattresses are good enough for 5 years and max 7 yrs and no more.
2. Either the mattress is too soft for you or you may be on the heavier side, and I suspect that your hip portion is sinking into the mattress more than it should and hence you are waking up with back pain.

A soft mattress topper will make your problem worse. PLEASE do not go for it.

What you need is this:

1. Change the mattress and for a suitable one. You could speak to the guys at Fabmart. They can generally give you good suggestion and they have the most extensive selection of mattresses and good pre/post sales service. They are focused only on mattresses and other sleep accessories.

2. If you don't have the budget, buy a firm pad (similar to a topper but its firm rather than soft)

Last edited by areddy : 13th February 2015 at 20:16. Reason: added more stuff
Old 14th February 2015, 18:53   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
In my humble experience, "stiff neck" points to an incorrectly chosen pillow for your mattress (rule of thumb is go for a firm pillow with a firm mattress and vice versa).
Thank you for your input, all your points are spot on.
I spent 4 hours today beating the crap out of my two mattresses with a baseball bat. Was shocked at the amount of dust it was spewing inspite of having a mattress protector. I then steam cleaned the mattresses and also rotated them 180 degrees. I plan to switch both the mattresses after proper due diligence and will take better and periodic care of it going forward.

I am now considering serious dust control as one of the steps that i need to take to improve the quality of air, health and sleep in our house.
Old 6th March 2015, 22:59   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thank you for your input, all your points are spot on.
I spent 4 hours today beating the crap out of my two mattresses with a baseball bat. Was shocked at the amount of dust it was spewing inspite of having a mattress protector. I then steam cleaned the mattresses and also rotated them 180 degrees. I plan to switch both the mattresses after proper due diligence and will take better and periodic care of it going forward.

I am now considering serious dust control as one of the steps that i need to take to improve the quality of air, health and sleep in our house.
Two things that come to my mind, having gone through horrible experience with a Snoozer mattress, which is just lying around for someone to take it for free.

Latex mattresses do not accumulate dust (its actually dust mites, and their excretions). They last much longer and just give very good sleep. In any case, all mattresses need a good protector cover.

You can invest in a good quality air purifier? It doesn't cost much and I think its a seriously worthwhile investment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks