Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 11:22   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

I have been using Wake Fit Dual side (hard/ Semi Hard) foam mattress for two months. It has been good so far. My wife and I get sound sleep, and no complaints of aching backs or necks in the mornings, which used to happen with the cotton mattresses .
It cost 13.1K for a King size-78X72- 6 inch mattress.
They also provide a mattress cover with this. In case you want to purchase an additional waterproof mattress protector, they sell that as well.
Old 25th August 2016, 14:22   #317
Senior - BHPian

There are no collection companies like they have abroad.
Try asking your house help. We had a great set which we just gave away.

[quote=rajeshsundaram;4040341]Just a question. Any ideas on how do we generally dispose off any used mattresses?
Old 25th August 2016, 14:30   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
And yes it would be helpful to know about how to dispose off the old mattress. I tried to talk the company reps in to taking the old mattress with them (for free) but they didn't agree.
I gave our older mattresses to our maids. I have also offloaded a lot of furniture to an NGO in Chennai, that either uses it or sells it and uses the proceeds. Have given away Stylespa cots, sofa sets and many other odds and ends.
Old 1st September 2016, 11:46   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Hi All, I am considering Sunday Ortho Plus Mattress for my king size cot. In the comparison of ortho and latex mattress, they mentioned as ortho is not for side sleepers. Anyone who use it, can you share your experience. I considered Ortho mattress due to back support and cheap compare to Latex.
The Latex Plus mattress is meant for younger couples where as the Ortho Plus Mattress is meant for senior citizens. This is a just a rule of thumb, but it might be different in your case. You can speak to customer care team to understand what suits your better.

I think you should not go with a model purely based on budget. In my experience, you end up with a wrong mattress which causes more damage and you actually end up spending more over a period of time.

In general, when it comes to sleep, it is better to keep price as a secondary decision making criteria. One does not need to spend exorbitant amount on a mattress - but it wont be a smart decision to spend peanuts either.

If there is one thing in the house that you use the most, it is the mattress - not the cot, not the TV, not the Sofa and definitely none of the fancy gadgets. It also happens to be the thing that has a direct impact on your physical and mental well being.

How much to spend, is a personal decision, but if you look at how much you are spending on other pieces of furniture like Sofa, Dining Table, TV etc., you will be able to arrive at your own optimal budget for a mattress. Most of us have mental blocks when spending on a mattress. I was one of those, who changes an iPhone every 3years, but went for a mattress below 10K and then changed and then changed again because of back pain.

In general, good mattresses cost between 20-50K for a King. Anything cheaper is not recommended. Anything more expensive will be pure indulgence - you end up paying more because you feel good about paying more. So, its a personal choice.

I tell my friends that the best way to allocate your budget for a bedroom is to have a basic cot (that serves the purpose) and put money on a great mattress and nice set of cotton sheets. Typically people spend 30-40K on a cot, 10K on a mattress, and 1K on bed sheet set. I personally spent 7K on a cot, 40K on a Sunday Latex Plus and 3K on a great bed sheet set. This is a much better sleeping experience than over spending on a cot and then spending peanuts on a mattress.

Learnt several things along the way -

You get what you pay for
There are no Freebies in the market
Never compromise on health

Last edited by Aditya : 5th December 2016 at 08:00. Reason: Excess smiley deleted
Old 1st September 2016, 12:15   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post

I tell my friends that the best way to allocate your budget for a bedroom is to have a basic cot (that serves the purpose) and put money on a great mattress and nice set of cotton sheets. Typically people spend 30-40K on a cot, 10K on a mattress, and 1K on bed sheet set. I personally spent 7K on a cot, 40K on a Sunday Latex Plus and 3K on a great bed sheet set. This is a much better sleeping experience than over spending on a cot and then spending peanuts on a mattress.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Agreed on most of the points. I had been to the experience center and had a demo. Latex plus is too soft and giving a sinking feel. Not impressed much on it. It is almost same as the 4 Inch Damro mattress i had now though it was a little more firm. Liked the Ortho plus. Though i started with a price of 10K, multiple reviews, visits to various shops throw light on purchasing mattress . I was considering Memory foam. Now the plus points Sunday says about their mattress is that, memory foam use some chemicals which may cause allergy and rashes. And it will heat up when you sleep on same position. I was facing the heating issue in foam mattress now. Even in winter time, if i sleep on same posture i was sweating. According to Sunday team, Latex mattress wont use any harmful chemicals in manufacturing process. And heating issue wont be there in Latex mattress. Ortho use top 2 inch latex, So heat will relatively be less. And About lifetime, Latex mattress will last up to 10 years minimum and max 15 years according to maintenance. For Ortho it is from 5-10 years. Only worrying point is the top layer of the mattress are too soft and are dirt magnets. Already seeing some comments on it. Thouse who purchase can share their views. As an add-on, we can buy a mattress protector cover from them to keep it clean. It will cost additional 2.5K

I wont agree on your point of spending 7K on a cot and getting a 40K worth mattress for only comfort. I know this is a subjective matter. In a modern bedroom, comfort and aesthetic pleasure of room matters. I am pretty sure that you wont get a Cot with good quality and design for 7K now(even the single cots in local shops costing 3K) . The common purchasing trend is to spend more on cot and less on Mattress. I would go for a 1:.75 pattern on Cot:Mattress.
Old 1st September 2016, 12:27   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Only worrying point is the top layer of the mattress are too soft and are dirt magnets. Already seeing some comments on it. Thouse who purchase can share their views. As an add-on, we can buy a mattress protector cover from them to keep it clean. It will cost additional 2.5K
Agree with all your points and would recommend the mattress protector. It fits very well and keeps the mattress completely dust free

We've been using a Latex Plus for ~6 months now and even with a small baby who sleeps on the bed and there are the occasional spills, the protector does a great job and does not let anything seep into the cover or the mattress itself.

Would suggest going for this at the time of purchase in order to keep your 100 nights trial offer intact and keep the mattress clean over a longer period of time
Old 1st September 2016, 16:21   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply. Agreed on most of the points. I had been to the experience center and had a demo. Latex plus is too soft and giving a sinking feel. ...
I'm sure there are diagrams on the net about how a suitable mattress should support our spines, but this is my test. Your whole body should be be supported evenly. There should not be a gap anywhere under your back. On the other hand, the heavier parts should not sink in more than the rest.

With very expensive sprung mattresses, there is a nice soft layer between you and the springs, and you get a feeling of luxury as you sink into it, but you soon come to the springs that support your whole body. My London bed was over 2 lakh, more than a decade ago. It was perfect. Just for fun, I tried, in the shops, beds that cost more than twice that. They were blissful, but hey, I could have bought a car! I actually got to sleep on one such bed in a posh hotel, and it was every bit as good as I thought.

On the other hand, I've slept on Latex for nearly ten years (and it would have been the same mattress except for the flood) and I have felt well supported, without any pressure points, and perfectly comfortable. Given the price difference, that really makes Latex the deal! Even if I got rich, I wouldn't change my bed now.

...Thad the Latex fanboy!
Old 2nd September 2016, 02:54   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Any review on Serta by the experts? The semi-affordable all-latex model i.e. Is Sunday as good as that @ 1/5th the cost? I know Tempurpedic is THE ultimate but its prices are truly of another world.

The existing all-foam mattress isn't plush enough, hard infact, never had much luck with great sleeping so this time the need is to stretch the extra mile to get the best there is.
Old 4th September 2016, 13:09   #324
kcz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
.The only downside was the shipping rate,it cost us 2000rs to ship to Hyderabad.We also ordered pillows and they were good too.Overall a happy experience and I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a change to a latex bed.We were transitioning from the traditional silk cotton to latex and it has been an super sleep experience so far.Thanks Sunday!Keep up the good work.
Hi RanjitP1, I had done some research on shipping charges w.r.t mattresses when I had bought Sunday mattresses for my parents in Andhra a few months back. The fact is that everyone charges for shipping.

1. Traditional brands have different MRPs for different states. Just as an example, Peps Spring Koil in Delhi costs 6K more than Peps Spring Koil in Karnataka. Here are the screen shots. So essentially you are paying 6K for shipping!!

Name:  Delhi.png
Views: 11472
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  Karnataka.png
Views: 11386
Size:  59.9 KB

2. In the case of Sunday, they have one MRP and they charge around 2K for shipping additional.

I prefer the second one because it is more economical and transparent.

And lastly, +1 on the experience with Sunday mattresses. My folks have been really happy with the mattress.

Thanks,
Kiran
Old 7th October 2016, 12:49   #325
BHPian

I have prolapse disc (back pain). Its is not severe: so long as I take care (no bending at hip, no lifting heavy objects, etc) I do not feel pain. I am looking for a firm yet cosy mattress. Will pocketed spring mattress be bad for my back?
Old 7th October 2016, 16:57   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I have prolapse disc (back pain). Its is not severe: so long as I take care (no bending at hip, no lifting heavy objects, etc) I do not feel pain. I am looking for a firm yet cosy mattress. Will pocketed spring mattress be bad for my back?
About 2 months ago, I have bought a queen size pocket spring mattress of SLEEPWELL brand - six inch thickness.
It is pretty firm and supports the body very well. Overall good product.
I had paid 16K at Lifestyle store.

Regards-Sonu
Old 7th October 2016, 17:48   #327
BHPian

How does one tell if a mattress should be changed? Will a store send an expert to come inspect? Maybe I should rip up the material and have a look at the innards?
My 10 year old KurlOn Memory foam + coir looks so good, I dont feel like changing it. I do get some aches and pains when I wake, but not sure if it is my mattress or just my body condition!
Old 7th October 2016, 23:11   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
About 2 months ago, I have bought a queen size pocket spring mattress of SLEEPWELL brand - six inch thickness.
It is pretty firm and supports the body very well. Overall good product.
I had paid 16K at Lifestyle store.

Regards-Sonu
Can you please tell me which model is this? I currently have their Durafirm PUF mattress and find it a bit too firm.

A general question: typically how many years will the firmness of the springs in spring mattresses last? Five years as mentioned for Peps seem a bit low to me, but then old foam / coir mattresses do not retain its shape too long either.
Old 8th October 2016, 12:26   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
How does one tell if a mattress should be changed? Will a store send an expert to come inspect? Maybe I should rip up the material and have a look at the innards?
, ripping would be extreme when you can get exchange of anything between 500-1000.- rupees for old mattress.
I believe that we get so used to our mattress that we do not realize that it has gone FLAT. My work makes me travel a lot and after those extra bouncy mattresses of hotels, I realized that my 'erstwhile' mattress was pretty firm. I think you body aches are telling you to make the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Can you please tell me which model is this?
This is the placard that came with mattress: I usually keep all things that come with the purchase for one year.
Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-imag0070.jpg

Regards-Sonu
Old 8th October 2016, 13:43   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
How does one tell if a mattress should be changed?
I had previously read that as "charged," which I found a bit mind-boggling!

With spring mattresses, old ones sag. You'll roll into the middle, and if you are a couple, romance is forced on you! Also, the cotton padding goes, and you feel the springs sticking into you. Good mattresses last a long time: the sellers may say ten years, but I've slept on beds far older than that!. Bad spring mattresses are just a false economy: they will start showing these faults very soon.

With other kind of mattresses, just be guided by your own comfort. Or by the fact that there is a body shaped dip where you sleep!

If you wake up aching, you really need to change the mattress. There may not even be anything wrong with it; it may be that it no longer suits you. So please research different mattress types as well as the one you have now.

Wishing a good night... and many more!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks